Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:54 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,264,404 times

Advertisements

I was talking with a friend and he said Charlotte is nothing but a large, glorified Columbia, SC. I disagree with him as I believe a better comparison for Charlotte would be as a mini-Atlanta rather than a glorified Columbia. It is my perception that Charlotte offers a ton more than Columbia does. However, I have never been to Columbia so I can't say for sure. Are these two cities really that similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:15 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,880,975 times
That would be an incorrect assessment. Columbia is a state capital, has a large university located downtown, is home to a large military installation (Fort Jackson), is one of the first planned cities in the nation, and is located along a river (actually three). Charlotte has none of those things and is a Piedmont textile mill town turned rapidly-growing financial center with more modern, big-city amenities (pro sports, light rail, high-end retail, etc.). Both have their own charms and share some similarities, but calling Charlotte a "glorified Columbia" misses the mark entirely.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:57 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,311,782 times
^ Of course you have way more knowledge of Columbia than I do. Putting aside the historical construction of Atlanta, Charlotte, and Columbia, IMO I think both comparisons are accurate for Charlotte. I would say Charlotte is both a larger version of Columbia and a smaller version of Atlanta. Charlotte is transforming with having two schools either in Uptown or close to it, JCSU and JWU, with UNCC adding a business school uptown. There is also the the Charlotte school of law and CMC has several allied health schools located and CPCC is also eith close or in uptown. These are definitely not USC but I just want to make a case that Charlotte has a strong educational presnce uptown.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 PM

^I can see where you're coming from. I'm just thinking that if someone were to ask me to compare Charlotte to a smaller city, Columbia probably wouldn't be the first to come to mind even though similarities exist between the two.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:05 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,311,782 times
I see. I would honestly say we have more in common with Winston than Columbia. But to choose a city out the state, perhaps Birmingham.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:18 PM

I can see Winston. In a way, one could even say that Charlotte's prosperity has been at Winston's expense (Piedmont Airlines, Wachovia, etc.). I think Greenville (SC) would be another good comparison. Both have successfully transitioned themselves from Piedmont textile mill towns to cities of modern industry without being state capitals, relying on universities, having the benefit of being in the mountains or on the coast, and both have done wonderful jobs of revitalizing their downtowns, albeit in different ways.

I must say though, I don't really get the Birmingham comparison, other than for it also being headquarters to some banks. We don't have the sort of history Birmingham has, for better or for worse, and it shows. I've always heard that Charlotte and Indianapolis compare favorably.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
I would never consider Columbia and Charlotte to be comparable. To me, they are completely different types of cities.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I would never consider Columbia and Charlotte to be comparable. To me, they are completely different types of cities.
I'm curious. In what way?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:04 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,186,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm curious. In what way?
Size/Political position in state/Industry/Entertainment&Leisure/etc.
The biggest difference has to be size. Columbia would only be the 8th largest city in the state if it were in NC. Cary is even larger than Columbia and it's just a suburban town (no scorn toward Cary intended, they actually call it the Town of Cary).

Old 12-29-2009, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Size/Political position in state/Industry/Entertainment&Leisure/etc.
The biggest difference has to be size. Columbia would only be the 8th largest city in the state if it were in NC. Cary is even larger than Columbia and it's just a suburban town (no scorn toward Cary intended, they actually call it the Town of Cary).
If Columbia were in NC, it wouldn't be subject to SC's stringent annexation laws, so it would probably be the third largest city in NC since its MSA and urbanized area population would be the third largest after Charlotte and Raleigh.

Of course, I'm aware of the size difference (which is directly related to entertainment/leisure), but I thought you were getting at something I might have missed when you said they were completely different types of cities. I'm not too sure what you mean by "political position in state" though. Both Charlotte and Columbia are politically moderate cities. Columbia may even be a tad darker shade of purple than Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City