Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Minnesota or Chiapas?
Minnesota 7 53.85%
Chiapas 6 46.15%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 03:20 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times

Advertisements

In the tradition of pitting entities with a similar population size against one another, I now ask you to compare the American state of Minnesota with the Mexican state of Chiapas. Another base of similarity is that Minnesota shares a northern border with Canada and Chiapas borders Guatemala to the east.

Compare:
  • Nightlife
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Cities
  • Food and Drink
  • Climate
  • Arts Sceme
  • Scenery
  • Safety
  • Appeal for visiting
  • Appeal for living
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 03:24 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,894,395 times
Marcos the Zapatista vs. Michelle Bachmann!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:02 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,129,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Marcos the Zapatista vs. Michelle Bachmann!
That would certainly be an interesting match-off.

I think Paul Wellstone is a more iconic Minnesota politician. (And I say this as a socially very conservative person.) However, Michelle Bachmann represents well the outer suburbs of the Twin Cities.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:44 PM

1,018 posts, read 1,851,107 times
Somehow I feel like tvdexr must be putting us on ...

Minnesota has sparked a lot of political movements, but no violent revolutionary guerilla groups lately.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:46 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times
these two are so closely matched that I'm having trouble thinking of one thing different enough between them to even warrant a comparison...maybe, better Mexican food in Minnesota cuz of more Taco Bells?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:51 PM

6,512 posts, read 7,552,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
these two are so closely matched that I'm having trouble thinking of one thing different enough between them to even warrant a comparison...maybe, better Mexican food in Minnesota cuz of more Taco Bells?
This is the third time tacos have been brought up for me today. Twice in class and now this!

Tacosota wins.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:04 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
In the tradition of pitting entities with a similar population size against one another, I now ask you to compare the American state of Minnesota with the Mexican state of Chiapas. Another base of similarity is that Minnesota shares a northern border with Canada and Chiapas borders Guatemala to the east.

Compare:
  • Nightlife
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Economy
  • Cities
  • Food and Drink
  • Climate
  • Arts Sceme
  • Scenery
  • Safety
  • Appeal for visiting
  • Appeal for living

San Cristobal de Las Casas is a great town. Spent about three weeks there in my twenties, had a blast, partied with both the local ladies and college students and the foreign Euro/Canuck ex-pat/backpacker crowd. Beautiful architecture, really good cheap restaurants and cafes... Mezcal was pretty cheap, and there was a couple of tasty taco/hot dog vendors on one of the square in the centro that you could surivive on when you ran out of money. There's also some great hiking in the nearby cloud forests--and the native village San Juan Chamula up in the nearby mountains is a great trip with this weird mix of Mayan and Catholic rituals in their tripped out church. One thing I liked was that the natives there were so short that someone at 5'7" like me stood like four inches above everyone--I remember being at a disco with like three tiny 5' local girls on my arms asking me to buy them drinks.

The only real danger I was advised to avoid was to not end up near some of the rougher cantinas around closing time--there was a high likelihood of occasional machete fights...

I've never really been to Minnesota. I like hockey though.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:47 PM

10,754 posts, read 23,832,257 times
caphillsea77 is currently googling Chiapas. Mention Senora, Chihuahua, Baja, & Jalisco and I can conjur up many impressions, but Chiapas is under the radar for me. Now I'm curious.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:09 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
caphillsea77 is currently googling Chiapas. Mention Senora, Chihuahua, Baja, & Jalisco and I can conjur up many impressions, but Chiapas is under the radar for me. Now I'm curious.
Yeah, check it out. Chiapas also has amazing jungle waterfalls and the ruins of Palenque on the edge of the rainforest(probably among the most interesting in Mexico--and they've got monkeys swinging from vines above the ancient temples) on the east side of the province. Just a 2-3 hour trip from the artsy college town of San Cristobal de las Casas. There's also remote coastal beach towns that I've never been to, but supposedly are among the most untrammeled in Mexico. It's also not far to Guatemala--and Lago De Atitlan...

Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,386,178 times
What's the food in Chiapas like? I can imagine a lot more mole-like dishes, and a healthier use of things such as plantains and other tropical fruits and extremely hot peppers due to the climate. I love Oaxaqueno cuisine, so I wonder if Chiapas can top that!

Man, once I get more money and the situation is Mexico is not as dicey, I'm probably gonna spend a pretty penny traveling around there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City