Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM

9,328 posts, read 13,002,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
No. I don't think I've ever heard a single individual from Philly "wish" they were part of NYC. .
I tried explaining that to him once before. I guess he didn't believe me.

Either way, I don't think a single NY-Philadelphia CSA is going to happen, unless transportation between the two becomes much cheaper and quicker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 11:09 AM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post

Either way, I don't think a single NY-Philadelphia CSA is going to happen, unless transportation between the two becomes much cheaper and quicker.
Our conversation was about Philadelphians playing up their similarities to New Yorkers. However, even if the two cities merge, I for one would have enough sense to know not to combine them as one area.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:11 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Baltimore didn't capitulate.
Yeah It kind of did.

Brookings Institute-

The cities of Washington and Baltimore and their suburbs were combined after the 1990 Census into a Washington-Baltimore Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area (CMSA).

Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Our conversation was about Philadelphians playing up their similarities to New Yorkers.
And by making statements like "Philly can't wait to be a part of the New York CSA," you're implying as such.

Baltimore and DC are 40 miles apart. Philly and New York are 100. It's just inherently more feasible for people from the outer Baltimore/DC suburbs to work in their opposing cities.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Speaking of York County, I'm surprised that it hasn't become part of the Baltimore metro yet. Between I83 looking like absolute hell during the work week with PA residents, transit that connects York county with Downtown Baltimore via Baltimore county, It's kind of surprising.
but still far more to the Harrisburg area to the Baltimore MSA is about 7-8% based on the 2000 data that may have changed a bit. Is still about 13K so sizable but small relative to the 200K workers from York county with decent amounts into Harford and Carroll county (even aproaching 1,00 to AnneArundal surprisingly - that would seem to be a hell commute everyday

Old 11-25-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
And by making statements like "Philly can't wait to be a part of the New York CSA," you're implying as such.

Baltimore and DC are 40 miles apart. Philly and New York are 100. It's just inherently more feasible for people from the outer Baltimore/DC suburbs to work in their opposing cities.
It honestly wasn't, but I can understand why you think that. My initial comment was just a friendly jab at Philly as I had also taken one at NYC, DC, and Baltimore. No need for Philly to reassert its location and stature among Bos-Wash cities. I know where it stands.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:

technically the CSA is met today (speaks to fickleness of census designations) - Mercer now exceeds 25% into the NYC MSA making an MSA connection

Bucks actually comes close to the 15% to the NYC MSA with Mercer

Burlington is approaching 20% (exceeding the 15%) connection to the NYC MSA with Mercer included.

That said dont see the census creating the connection and also both area are extremely distinct with grey areas in the small distance that connects the counties and job centers in between the two cities

Old 11-25-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
It honestly wasn't, but I can understand why you think that. My initial comment was just a friendly jab at Philly as I had also taken one at NYC, DC, and Baltimore. No need for Philly to reassert its location and stature among Bos-Wash cities. I know where it stands.
Forgive me for not taking your "friendly" jab as a joke. It would help if you had a friendlier posting history. I also don't see how pointing out the unfeasibility of a Philadelphia-New York commute split ala Baltimore-Washington is "reasserting its location and stature." You don't have to be pro-Philadelphia to look at a map and use common sense.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
but still far more to the Harrisburg area to the Baltimore MSA is about 7-8% based on the 2000 data that may have changed a bit. Is still about 13K so sizable but small relative to the 200K workers from York county with decent amounts into Harford and Carroll county (even aproaching 1,00 to AnneArundal surprisingly - that would seem to be a hell commute everyday
Traveling to Anne Arundel county from anywhere other than Howard county is a hell of a commute. Anywhere that one has to drive on 70, 95, 695, 83 becomes a hell of a commute.

Old 11-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Forgive me for not taking your "friendly" jab as a joke. It would help if you had a friendlier posting history. I also don't see how pointing out the unfeasibility of a Philadelphia-New York commute split ala Baltimore-Washington is "reasserting its location and stature." You don't have to be pro-Philadelphia to look at a map and use common sense.
My posting history isn't indicative of the fact that I no longer argue on city data or anywhere else for that matter. I went out of my way to avoid an argument with you by sending you a direct message during our last conversation. Furthermore, CSA designations go by commuter patterns from one metro to another, not city to city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City