Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 12:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times

Advertisements

The HS rail is not for daily commuters

People commuting from Philly proper to NYC proper will always be small

HS rail would help Philly even more as a central location, especially for finance and law relative to NYC and DC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2012, 01:38 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,611,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post

If I have one fear from this, it's becoming the 6th borough. Or more disparagingly, taking the title of "world's largest bedroom community" from San Jose.
Certainly more accessible (and conceivably more affordable) high-speed would connect Philly to NY's sphere of influence like never before; but Philly has way too much of a core identity for it to be completely overtaken as a "bedroom community."

If anything, and I really don't mean this in a harsh way, widely-available high-speed rail may end up siphoning a significant amount of potential business/job growth from NY. This does not even consider future companies that want an East Coast presence. A very quick train ride to NY is a small sacrifice for dramatically cheaper overhead costs in Philly.

The reality is that Manhattan continues to become astronomically expensive and will become even more so as the real estate becomes more confined (for example, superstorms a la Sandy on a more frequent basis are definitely changing developers' mindsets about shoreline areas).

Philly's core would be bolstered more than ever.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:10 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,860,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
While this is unfortunate, I don't agree with those who see this as a deal-breaker. I've read comments in news articles with people wanting to demand that the new hi-speed rail plan include 30th Street. IMO anyone who thinks that the need to keep 30th Street Station a "main" part of this new hi-speed rail concept is critical to the hi-speed rail concept are the epitome of small-minded, parochial Philadelphia thinking.
I agree with this completely. I think 30th Street will become something for locals and tourists and a Market East station will be for commuters. Market East also makes more sense as the entry point to the city since it's so much closer to Old City/main landmarks. I don't want to see 30th Street go away and I don't think it will (especially because of the students in University City).

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
If/when we get to the point that Acela speed can be afforded at Septa prices, I think Philadelphia and New York could share a similar relationship as Baltimore and Washington.
It'll get cheaper if enough people start using it. The main thing needed for it to work is that the annual commute price would be cheaper than the difference in housing between New York and Philly. At first this will seem like a negative because more and more people will be commuting from Philly to New York. But the population boost to the city will lead to more jobs and more amenities to accommodate the new population. Even if it further integrates New York and Philly, Philadelphia will never become a suburb of NY, so I think it'd be a long-term win-win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
IAs for the decline of 30th street.. It's a grand old station, one of the largest and busiest in the country. It's also in something of a silly location. I say tear down the Gallery, build a skyscraper on the spot, and put the new train station under it. Create a subway system in West Philly, and let 30th street station serve as the hub for the west philly subways, and as the connection to the MFL to get downtown.
I like your plan. Write your councilman.

Quote:
If I have one fear from this, it's becoming the 6th borough. Or more disparagingly, taking the title of "world's largest bedroom community" from San Jose.
I don't think that'll happen, even if shifts in that direction. It'll also increase the number of New Yorkers/Washingtonians visiting Philly (which is positive and negative).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City