Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2012, 08:02 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times

Advertisements

Do Millennials Want to Call Your City

This is an interesting article that confirms much of what I see from trends on City-Data. Young professionals want to live in a select group of hip, liberal, walkable cities. Cities such as San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Austin. They also are very fond of smaller, boutique hipster towns like Asheville NC and Boulder CO. The article also says other more "middle America" cities have a limited time to turn things around or they will see serious stagnation and decline. Its no wonder virtually every major city is investing heavily in its downtown area.

What cities do you think are best for young professionals? Do you think cities that don't have a visible creative class or are too conservative are in trouble?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 08:05 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,972,199 times
Yeahhh I want as close to a big city, 24/7, tall urban area, has an amazing ocean or lake waterfront, & extremely walkable with transit options so I never have to drive again. Along with a cosmopolitan & diverse area, amazing reputation & quality for food, museums & attractions, arcades, liberal, youthful, trance/techno/house/dubstep, career driven & professional oriented, & a big city mindset for it's region.

1. New York
2. Washington
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. Miami
6. Boston
7. Seattle
8. San Diego
9. Denver

Those are my favorite options in order.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:11 PM

432 posts, read 610,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Yeahhh I want as close to a big city, 24/7, tall urban area, has an amazing ocean or lake waterfront, & extremely walkable with transit options so I never have to drive again. Along with a cosmopolitan & diverse area, amazing reputation & quality for food, museums & attractions, arcades, liberal, youthful, trance/techno/house/dubstep, & a big city mindset for it's region.

1. New York
2. Washington
3. Chicago
4. San Francisco
5. Miami
6. Boston
7. Seattle
8. San Diego
9. Denver

Those are my favorite options in order.
I agree with those cities. But doesn't philly have all that stuff x5 of half the cities on your list? Just saying. And what about Atlanta, Austin, Charleston, and Los Angeles and most importantly Philadelphia? Philly doesn't attract young people, have arcades, museums, walkable areas, diverse economy, a big city mindset, liberal crowd, nightlife, bars, clubs, music, sports, and most importantly, young people? Philly already is top 5 in most students in the country. I know those are your favorites but you need to think outside the box. And Miami is an old people place...

Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
I agree with those cities. But doesn't philly have all that stuff x5 of half the cities on your list? Just saying. And what about Atlanta, Austin, Charleston, and Los Angeles and most importantly Philadelphia? Philly doesn't attract young people, have arcades, museums, walkable areas, diverse economy, a big city mindset, liberal crowd, nightlife, bars, clubs, music, sports, and most importantly, young people? Philly already is top 5 in most students in the country. I know those are your favorites but you need to think outside the box. And Miami is an old people place...
I like Philadelphia to visit but I wouldn't ever live there. I don't have anything against the place but for most of what I like, Philadelphia doesn't have it. I'm pretty picky too, if I overwhelmingly don't like something then the place is out of the question altogether. If it does, then not enough of it. I like each city for specific reasons, the ones that give me more reason to like fare better.

Not saying Philadelphia doesn't have enough to offer because it certainly does- but it doesn't offer much for me.

Ohh while Austin, Atlanta, & Los Angeles aren't in my top 10- they are in my top 15 along with Dallas & Houston. Charleston is a podunk, I wouldn't ever live there.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 PM

432 posts, read 610,468 times
Quote:
I like Philadelphia to visit but I wouldn't ever live there. I don't have anything against the place but for most of what I like, Philadelphia doesn't have it. I'm pretty picky too, if I overwhelmingly don't like something then the place is out of the question altogether. If it does, then not enough of it. I like each city for specific reasons, the ones that give me more reason to like fare better.

Not saying Philadelphia doesn't have enough to offer because it certainly does- but it doesn't offer much for me.

Ohh while Austin, Atlanta, & Los Angeles aren't in my top 10- they are in my top 15 along with Dallas & Houston. Charleston is a podunk, I wouldn't ever live there.
I understand that but you put requirements and Philly matches them all x10. I respect your opinion however it's just odd. It's like saying I love big crowded sports cities and not listing NYC. But w.e, it's your opinion.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:03 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,954,464 times
Quote:
That might've been true 30+ years ago. But the revitalization of Miami Beach in the early 80's(thanks to Scarface and Miami Vice) changed Miami from a sleepy, retirement resort city, to an international, semi-tropical, party city. I always hear those Miami and old people jokes on shows like SNL and stuff like that. That's gotta be one of the most out-dated tropes/stereotypes about Miami. What decade are these people living in?

Old 11-25-2012, 09:16 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,445,264 times
Well, I'm a Millennial, so I may as well weigh in.

These are my top cities (in no particular order):
Toronto
Chicago
London
Minneapolis
Boston
San Francisco

I'm a Northerner, so I don't mind the cold, and I don't want to go much further south than San Francisco. I like Denver, Seattle, and Portland as well, but they are a bit isolated for my taste. I like being able to cover a lot of ground in a ten-hour drive. I also have never really been enamored with New York, for some reason. I don't have anything against it, I just don't really want to live there.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:21 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,140,627 times
20 year old here...

My top 5 places...

New York City
Los Angeles
Chicago
San Francisco
Seattle

Urban cities basically. Tired of living in boring suburbs with nothing going on.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I understand that but you put requirements and Philly matches them all x10. I respect your opinion however it's just odd. It's like saying I love big crowded sports cities and not listing NYC. But w.e, it's your opinion.
See you're not seeing it from my point of view though.
Quote:
Quote:
Yeahhh I want as close to a big city, 24/7, tall urban area, has an amazing ocean or lake waterfront, & extremely walkable with transit options so I never have to drive again. Along with a cosmopolitan & diverse area, amazing reputation & quality for food, museums & attractions, arcades, liberal, youthful, trance/techno/house/dubstep, career driven & professional oriented, & a big city mindset for it's region.
First off I want to say I think Charleston is a podunk. It's the complete opposite of the type of city I want to live in which comes down to these two types:

- City with regionally unique scenery & lax legislation on maryjane: Tucson (desert), Denver (Snow capped rocky mountains), Seattle (Pudget sound & Mount Rainer), San Diego (marina & mountains), San Francisco (peninsula, golden gate bridge, mountains, twin peaks), Austin (lush & stark hill country & beautiful bluebonnets) (or Los Angeles (Malibu coastline & Santa Catalina).

- Non-gritty, urban big city, cosmopolitan, has museums, great place for young professions (in my case political journalism), CLEAN, extensive transit, has a spectacular waterfront (San Diego, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, New York, Boston, Miami), one helluva fun rave scene & I'm talking the real deal, trance/techno/electro/dubstep/house oriented nightlife (Chicago, Miami, New York), atari themed arcades, almost religiously liberal- making fun of conservatives would be art there!, post modern architecture (or if not then an ever lasting almost endless big city atmosphere- Manhattan), youthful, introverted people, & has a sizable Lakers fan base (I'm a Kobe fan).

I have life long friends & family in Dallas & Houston. I know them both very well & my parents live there. I like the cosmopolitan vibe they have, very ethnic friendly cities they are & the foods magnificent. They'll always be options to me. Los Angeles joins in because I have a cool cousin that lives there & have you seen Malibu? Atlanta joins in for the career prospects, it's one of 3 best political journalism cities in the country right behind Washington & New York but right before Boston. That's my career path.

See I don't see Philadelphia to fit my personality. Doesn't mean that the city is lacking in anything, it just means that it's not the best fit for me.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 11-25-2012 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 09:56 PM

886 posts, read 1,564,725 times
^ Hipster alert
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City