Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:25 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times

Advertisements

Heh, I know a lot of people in my time here in Chicago that aren't just from the midwest. I feel like some of you who are saying mostly midwesterners are the transplants are dead wrong. It's much closer to 50/50.. meaning 50% from the midwest and 50% from everywhere else including around the world. Hell... I'm a transplant from TEXAS.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:50 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
Native New Yorker, born and raised in manhattan, went to big ten school (Michigan), I feel like half my graduating class moved to New York and other half to Chicago. There is a large big ten presence in New York and a ton of bars that cater to the alum. Your post is way off, not sure how "familiar" you are with the city as you say.
Also, Chicago has the greatest concentration of amenities in the country outside New York and the best restaurant scene in my opinion. In addition to the greatest urban water front in the country, how can you say you don't get much?
Pretty much same as you (but live in Chicago). Many graduates from my class went to Chicago, then California (Silicon Valley), then NYC and Detroit. I echo your comments. You get a rep!

Old 12-04-2012, 12:33 PM

465 posts, read 872,850 times
Sorry, but I think some folks bias is showing.

To say that Chicago isn't primarily drawing from the Midwest schools is simply wrong, and everyone knows it. You get a different postcollegiate crowd.

And, sorry, the University of Nebraska or Purdue isn't Princeton or Harvard. It's just different, and the differing student types play a role in the differeing vibes, for better or for worse.

I went to Michigan, BTW, and we had tons of folks going to both NYC and Chicago. I can tell you that the NYC-bound folks were a very different typology than the Chicago-bound folks. NYC folks tended to be more from the East Coast or West Coast, tended to be more into finance or arts-related professions. Chicago folks tended to be more from in-state (Michigan) and work in large Midwest corporations.

Granted, I'm biased too (we all are); that's the nature of being human. But the cities are very different, and draw a different crowd, no question.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:18 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post

To say that Chicago isn't primarily drawing from the Midwest schools is simply wrong, and everyone knows it. You get a different postcollegiate crowd.

And, sorry, the University of Nebraska or Purdue isn't Princeton or Harvard. It's just different, and the differing student types play a role in the differeing vibes, for better or for worse.

I went to Michigan, BTW, and we had tons of folks going to both NYC and Chicago. I can tell you that the NYC-bound folks were a very different typology than the Chicago-bound folks. NYC folks tended to be more from the East Coast or West Coast, tended to be more into finance or arts-related professions. Chicago folks tended to be more from in-state (Michigan) and work in large Midwest corporations.

Granted, I'm biased too (we all are); that's the nature of being human. But the cities are very different, and draw a different crowd, no question.
One thing's for sure. The city has transplants from all over the country, not just the midwest.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,629,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Born View Post

But you're changing the argument to suit your agenda. Of course Chicago has a lot of Midwest college graduates, no on is disputing this. Likewise NYC and Philly will pull from the East, LA from the West, etc. What we're disputing is the fact that someone (not sure if it was you or another poster or both) said we all hang together in fratty Chicago bars and neighborhoods for eternity. This is simply not the case. Chicago is a massive place and after maybe a year or two, the new college arrivals simply acclimate and assimilate with the other locals, and usually more along job lines, professions and simply neighbors rather than among school colors. I went to Michigan like you (not) and I just saw one of my best friends from college after losing contact for about 8 years. He lives about 8 miles from me.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel12 View Post
That's exactly my point! New York has much more diverse and cosmopolitan population, including the "transplant population", and as a result people do not hang out with college friends as much as in Chicago hence New York is much less cliquish than Chicago. Chicago allows to cultivate that "frat boy culture" while in New York you are supposed to grow out of it.

Yes. I spent plenty of time in both cities but don't live in neither. Why?
NYC is more diverse and cosmopolitan than pretty much any city in the US. Chicago is one of the most diverse and cosmopolitan cities in the US outside of NYC. I don't think there's a particularly strong preponderance of frat boy culture stuff going in Chicago given how big the city is, if anything NYC has an even bigger one on count of simply being a much bigger city that has much more of everything.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:15 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,359 times
If you don't think there is a colossal abundance of fratty douchebags in the NYC/tri-state area then you are in for one hell of a surprise.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:16 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
is it me or is there a chicago circle jerk lately?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
It has its flaws, but the assertion that its a luddite sports-bar-and-hotdogs town full of generic middle Americans is pretty outdated. I can see it ruffling a few feathers.

NYC is obviously a better city, but I can't think of anyway that makes living there easier.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:16 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
LOL you jealous bruh that Philly doesn't get the love Chicago or San Francisco get?

TBH, Chicago grows on you. It's a nice city, when winter is over I'm going to do a double trip for Chicago and Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City