Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which location offers the better urban scale of life
Bethesda, MD 57 67.06%
Buckhead, Atlanta 28 32.94%
Tie 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2021, 06:52 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Which location provides the better urban style of living? Which feels more like a mini-big city in it's footprint?

Discuss:

Walk-ability
Public Transit
Bicycling
High rise living
Parks/Rec
Housing diversity
Dining

Specifically Downtown Bethesda, or the DT Buckhead core.

Last edited by the resident09; 04-15-2021 at 07:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2021, 06:54 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Walk-ability Bethesda
Transit Bethesda
Bicycling Bethesda
High rise living Buckhead
Parks/Rec Tie
Housing diversity Bethesda
Dining Bethesda

Bethesda MD.

Old 04-15-2021, 07:57 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,278,508 times
DT Bethesda is definitely more walkable and urban. Although, Buckhead is more of a regional destination than Bethesda, so it can in some ways feel "bigger."

Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Bethesda.

Old 04-15-2021, 09:12 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Love me some Bethesda.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:43 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Which location provides the better urban style of living? Which feels more like a mini-big city in it's footprint?

Discuss:

Walk-ability
Public Transit
Bicycling
High rise living
Parks/Rec
Housing diversity
Dining

Specifically Downtown Bethesda, or the DT Buckhead core.
I've never thought about comparing the two before, but this is a pretty good matchup actually.

I'll give Bethesda the nod in the first three categories and give the other four to Buckhead. When it comes to parks, I like how Buckhead is bookended by Atlanta Memorial Park to the south and Chastain Park to the north with the small, but quite nice Charlie Loudermilk Park anchoring the center. PATH400 is also a great recreational amenity seeking to make Buckhead more walkable overall.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-18-2021 at 10:03 AM..

Old 04-19-2021, 10:37 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Bethesda for me by a wide margin. I’ve been to Buckhead before but more recently, I stayed at the JW Buckhead 3 weeks ago so it’s been recent.

I’ve also went to Bethesda for the first time since Covid a couple weeks ago. That place has really had a construction boom with very tall and stunning towers. But importantly, it’s just a very urban area that really could rival many downtowns in the US.

The walkability & pedestrian & bike experience is what does it for me. Buckhead is by far more auto centric than Bethesda.

No slam against Buckhead, it excels in what it’s supposed to be.

A couple of (my) pictures below Shows the quality of developments Bethesda is getting.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:40 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Bethesda all the way....

Both are very similar in feel..

But what Buckhead is missing is really good transit connectivity.

And Bethesda transit is totally top notch.

Bethesda, Maryland is actually one of my favorite suburbs in the nation.

Such a great blend of density, greenery, shopping, restaurants, parks, housing stock ranging from high rise apartments to single family homes, and amazing transit access... You have no need to own a car in Bethesda, Maryland. It feels as an extension of DC by all means...

Bethesda also has a really beautiful greenway that goes from Bethesda, Maryland to Georgetown in DC. It is such a beautiful trail and beats Buckhead in the park department as well.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:58 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,919,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Bethesda all the way....

Both are very similar in feel..

But what Buckhead is missing is really good transit connectivity.

And Bethesda transit is totally top notch.

Bethesda, Maryland is actually one of my favorite suburbs in the nation.

Such a great blend of density, greenery, shopping, restaurants, parks, housing stock ranging from high rise apartments to single family homes, and amazing transit access... You have no need to own a car in Bethesda, Maryland. It feels as an extension of DC by all means...

Bethesda also has a really beautiful greenway that goes from Bethesda, Maryland to Georgetown in DC. It is such a beautiful trail and beats Buckhead in the park department as well.
Not really, Buckhead is served by both the Gold and Red Lines. Regarding your other comments, I don't believe you have ever been there.

As a matter of fact, I doubt many posting here have ever been there.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:31 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Not really, Buckhead is served by both the Gold and Red Lines. Regarding your other comments, I don't believe you have ever been there.

As a matter of fact, I doubt many posting here have ever been there.

When you get off MARTA in Buckhead vs. Metro in Bethesda, it’s quite a different experience.

Do you think the MARTA stops in Buckhead are pedestrian friendly areas?

Do you consider the MARTA stops in Buckhead to be great examples of urbanity?

The Lenox station is particularly bad, the Buckhead stop at least has nice views of skyscrapers when you get off.
But I can’t imagine it’s great getting off to a huge road and walking to a restaurant or store that you most likely will have to walk through a parking lot to get to. Bethesda doesn’t really have large surface parking lots.

I have not used the MARTA stops despite even my hotel being right beside the stop (but most of the hotel has fencing around it.) Plus, it wasn’t convenient for places I wanted to go like Ponce City Market, etc.

I like Buckhead. But I like it for the what it is. A place to stroll around with no car is not one of them.

In actually interested to hear your reasonings for choosing Buckhead. Because you’re the local so you have more experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City