Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which location offers the better urban scale of life
Bethesda, MD 57 67.06%
Buckhead, Atlanta 28 32.94%
Tie 0 0%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2021, 11:14 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
There's a good mile or so of suburban scale development between Friendship Heights and DT Bethesda. Wisconsin Avenue transitions quickly out of the urban grid into divided highway north of the District Line. Never considered Friendship Heights part of Bethesda, more like 2-3 blocks of urban DC development that crossed the border before things transition to suburban densities. Additionally, Friendship Heights associates with Chevy Chase, not Bethesda, even though the B vs. CC zip code boundaries pick up part of the neighborhood. There are stores and apartments there claiming to be "of Chevy Chase".
I agree with this.

Google maps splits that small strip between 3 neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2021, 08:48 AM

29 posts, read 13,976 times
Bethesda amazes me.

Old 05-05-2021, 09:10 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Precisely, which makes the division among the three quite arbitrary. The former Mazza Gallerie, Friendship Center, Chevy Chase Pavilion, the Shops at Wisconsin Place, and the Collection at Chevy Chase are all individual retail complexes but, along with other individual retailers (Brooks Brothers, Banana Republic, Saks Fifth Avenue, Louis Vuitton, Gap, etc.), collectively constitute the Friendship Heights commercial district that straddles the border of NW DC and Montgomery County. To say that whatever is on the DC side or within Chevy Chase proper doesn't count isn't very practical IMO.

Here's my logic. One entrance of the station is a block and a half down into DC proper by Booeymonger. The other entrances are on Western Avenue (the border between DC & Maryland). The station is physically in D.C. Plus the station has a DC address. https://www.wmata.com/rider-guide/st...ndship-hts.cfm

Old 05-05-2021, 09:12 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Yeah that’s what confused me. I just looked at the dc metro map and Friendship Heights is shown as being inside the Maryland border. That’s why I kept mentioning that this stop was in Chevy Chase (which is where I always remembered it being.

In actuality, I think theResident describes it correctly; because of the long tunnels, you can technically enter/exit the station in either MD or DC , since it sits directly on the border of the two.
It's physically in DC.
https://www.wmata.com/rider-guide/st...ndship-hts.cfm

Old 05-05-2021, 09:49 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Here's my logic. One entrance of the station is a block and a half down into DC proper by Booeymonger. The other entrances are on Western Avenue (the border between DC & Maryland). The station is physically in D.C. Plus the station has a DC address. https://www.wmata.com/rider-guide/st...ndship-hts.cfm
I don't have a problem with the jurisdiction in which the station is technically located as it still serves the greater Friendship Heights neighborhood which spans the DC/MD border and includes the southern portion of Bethesda. It can absolutely be considered as part of Bethesda in this particular matchup; that's my rebuttal to personone's argument that anything in DC shouldn't be considered.

Old 05-05-2021, 10:52 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,714,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Bethesda all the way....

Both are very similar in feel..

But what Buckhead is missing is really good transit connectivity.

And Bethesda transit is totally top notch.

Bethesda, Maryland is actually one of my favorite suburbs in the nation.

Such a great blend of density, greenery, shopping, restaurants, parks, housing stock ranging from high rise apartments to single family homes, and amazing transit access... You have no need to own a car in Bethesda, Maryland. It feels as an extension of DC by all means...

Bethesda also has a really beautiful greenway that goes from Bethesda, Maryland to Georgetown in DC. It is such a beautiful trail and beats Buckhead in the park department as well.
Last time I was in Bethesda was in 1999 and despite having a rail stop I remember it being fairly auto-oriented and not that walkable. Sounds like it's improved a lot since then.

Old 05-05-2021, 02:21 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,129 posts, read 7,572,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Which location provides the better urban style of living? Which feels more like a mini-big city in it's footprint?

Discuss:

Walk-ability
Public Transit
Bicycling
High rise living
Parks/Rec
Housing diversity
Dining

Specifically Downtown Bethesda, or the DT Buckhead core.
To clarify I've reposted my OP from creation of the thread. Downtown Bethesda and the "DT Buckhead" urban core are the comparison. So although parts of Bethesda's municipality stretch all the way to the DC border, the comparison is starting from the part of Bethesda north of the 1 mile leafy suburban housing stretch in between Friendship Heights and DT Bethesda.

Old 05-05-2021, 04:31 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
To clarify I've reposted my OP from creation of the thread. Downtown Bethesda and the "DT Buckhead" urban core are the comparison. So although parts of Bethesda's municipality stretch all the way to the DC border, the comparison is starting from the part of Bethesda north of the 1 mile leafy suburban housing stretch in between Friendship Heights and DT Bethesda.
And we've been considering all sorts of stuff outside of their downtowns from the jump...smh.

That's why I always specifically mention downtown in the title of the thread if that's the only part of cities I'm looking to compare because otherwise, that will get lost in the shuffle.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:44 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,876,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent_Adultman View Post
Last time I was in Bethesda was in 1999 and despite having a rail stop I remember it being fairly auto-oriented and not that walkable. Sounds like it's improved a lot since then.
Downtown Bethesda is now similar to Arlington, Alexandria, and Chevy Chase. It is definitely very walkable in its downtown. It still only has the one rail stop though. At the same time, a lot of people who live in DT Bethesda drive.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:50 AM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Mazza Gallery is closed. The owner sold it in 2020. The site will be a mix-use development. Neimans and the DC Saks are gone. The other Saks store which is one long block away in Bethesda is still open.
There is Bethesda Row, which is mall like but integrated into the new urbanist frabic (it doesn't feel like you're in door mall and it's connected to the street network) + very pedestrian friendly. Lots of construction going on adjacent to it.

Last edited by norcal2k19; 06-17-2022 at 10:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City