Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 09:56 AM

2,421 posts, read 4,330,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatisthedealwith View Post
I know that there are many from Chicago and NYC who feel this way, and I agree that having buildings that block the sun can make you feel different. But maybe I have never thought that this added positively to a city's cache. In places like San Juan or New Orleans, it seems to be beside the point. Don't know why this is included in the OPs list. That's all.
You must be new. Skylines are asked in almost ALL city vs. city threads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 09:58 AM

799 posts, read 1,552,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
Please read back where you said "You always ask about skylines in your posts". and also you asked about my "obession" about skylines. Which isn't true. Why did you say that? Because I posted it in TWO threads?! You acted as if you were following me from the getgo and know everything I post about. Fact is skylines are important in these forums and are constantly brought up. That is a fact.

Why do I care? Because as an architect, I can appreciate multiple forms of architecture. Be it if it's a skyscraper, residential, institutional, memorial, etc. Everything that is man made has been designed. In certain cities like Chicago, Hong Kong, NYC, more effort is put into creating designs that really are special. In certain cities like New Orleans, Jacksonville or Indianapolis little effort has been put in their skyscrapers. Just as a lot of effort was put into the design of residential buildings in D.C., New Orleans, San Francisco, where in cities like Phoenix, Las Vegas and San Antonio is not the case.

To really appreciate aesthetics you have to be open minded. Whether or not you like skylines that doesn't matter, but you have to accept that skyscrapers they play a role in architecture and design for a city. Someone who just brushes off skylines as not relevant in aesthecics of a city, really isn't a person who is into aesthetics, just prentending to be because they are close minded when it comes to design. Someone who REALLY appreciates design, is open minded, and might not like everything but won't dimiss important components/sectors of the design world that truly are relevant based just on their opinion.

Is that enough for you?
Someone who doesn't agree with you isn't into aesthetics. Yep I got it.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You must be new. Skylines are asked in almost ALL city vs. city threads.

Only when people want to debate the merits of NYC or Chicago do skylines ever get mentioned. Sorry, I have never been impressed with either city.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Only when people want to debate the merits of NYC or Chicago do skylines ever get mentioned. Sorry, I have never been impressed with either city.
That's not true. People bring it up in most threads that don't include Chicago or NYC. And who cares if you don't like Chicago or NYC? What does this have to do with anything?

Anyway this has gotten off topic. I suggest if you want to start a thread in regards to the importance of skylines to a city and its aesthetics start your own thread and please don't hijack mine. Thanks.

Old 12-08-2012, 10:10 AM

By all means continue with your discussion. But chill out. No one is here to attack you.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM

16,514 posts, read 26,411,253 times
Quote:
No, in most every thread skylines are mentioned and debated.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No, in most every thread skylines are mentioned and debated.
Thanks! Seriously, yet this person made it seem like I am the only one, and on top I actually rarely bring up skylines in my threads, only when relevant.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:11 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,238,176 times
I have never been to San Juan, but I think I'd like it better because of the topography in Puerto Rico, the tropical weather and the beaches. New Orleans also has nice weather, but sometimes a bit TOO humid and hot, all those bugs flying around, no breeze, and winters are not warm enough for me. New Orleans is beautiful with their wetlands, but I think the mountains and rainforests of PR are prettier. Also, the beaches in Louisiana don't look appealing. The Gulf waters are still cold in the wintertime, and also very murky. PR has year-round warm water and the water is periwinkle.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:15 PM

16,514 posts, read 26,411,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
I have never been to San Juan, but I think I'd like it better because of the topography in Puerto Rico, the tropical weather and the beaches. New Orleans also has nice weather, but sometimes a bit TOO humid and hot, all those bugs flying around, no breeze, and winters are not warm enough for me. New Orleans is beautiful with their wetlands, but I think the mountains and rainforests of PR are prettier. Also, the beaches in Louisiana don't look appealing. The Gulf waters are still cold in the wintertime, and also very murky. PR has year-round warm water and the water is periwinkle.
New Orleans gets a breeze, remember there's a gigantic sea on the northside of the city and a river that straddles it. We really don't have beaches, you can call them beaches but they aren't.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:29 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,291,763 times
Quote:
San Juan Proper: 400k
San Juan Metro: 2.4 million

New Orleans Proper: 360k
New Orleans Metro: 1.2 million

While San Juan Metro has 1 million more, it's NOT that much bigger. They are close enough, especially in city proper.
wow! it never would have occurred to me that San Juan would be double the size of New Orleans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City