Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 AM

2,563 posts, read 6,063,754 times

Advertisements

No dumb criteria that is completely biased. There is only one question here...

Which one would you rather live in?
Cost of living
Quality of life
Your own personal preference

Personally I could give two ****s about all the museums and galleries in NY. I'd rather live the laid back lifestyle in San Juan. I'd bike to work, hit the gym, and then chill on the beach every day. My family is in Florida so it would be a cheap ticket to visit them.

NYC is too overcrowded and has too much of an attitude for me. Puerto Rico is just as if not more walkable, sunny, and chill.

Oops internet timed out and no poll. If mods want to add one otherwise you can just post your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 06:44 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,740,392 times
puerto rico's job situation is atrocious, tho.

living in ny, depending on where you live, one could bike to work, hit the gym and chill on the beach during the weekends. you could do it everyday if you wanted. just saying...

despite stereotypes that non nyers believe in, we don't have more of an attitude than someone from any another region. believing in such stereotypes and telling us how you think we are could result in someone getting an attitude, tho...

puerto rico is small but def not more walkable than nyc. sorry. also, where are you going? the beach and...??

pr wins cost of living but you get what you pay for. remember that the island is poor, the job market is on life support, the govt had to shut down a few years ago because they lacked funds.

Quote:
The 2006 Puerto Rico budget crisis was a political, economic, and social crisis that saw much of the government of Puerto Rico shut down after it ran out of funds near the end of the 2005-2006 fiscal year. The shut down lasted for two weeks from May 1, 2006 through May 14, 2006, leaving nearly 100,000 public employees without pay and closing more than 1,500 public schools. The crisis was publicly criticized by the business sector, non-profit organizations, Puerto Rican celebrities, and the general public (by means of opinion polls), and was described as the consequence of a political power struggle between the Commonwealth's main opposing political parties: the Popular Democratic Party and the New Progressive Party.
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Pu..._budget_crisis

so you have to factor that into the quality of life.

also, from yahoo:
Quote:
Compared to NYC, San Juan is nearly 70% cheaper... but you also earn nearly 40% less.
Quote:
For income taxes, you don't pay federal income taxes directly, but you do pay a higher rate of state income tax than you would in the mainland US (out of which a percentage goes to the federal treasury, hence you do pay federal income tax!.. just indirectly). There is a 6% state sales tax (locally known as the IVU tax) and the cities can add anywhere from 1-2% extra tax.
Quote:
The situation here is PR that salaries are low, the goverment increase the minimum wage to $5.85 a few months ago. You pay local taxes 7%, the water and electricity bill are expensive. If you work for an american corporation you will get pay better but locals are cheap and always try to pay the minimum posible. If you are planning to retire and have the money to bring here, it is perfect. But if you are planning to work and live here, you would not make it.
and the above is from ppl that currently live in pr.

the way you start your thread out, its like you're saying you want this to not be biased but then you go on to **** on ny. you don't like ny at all based on your previous posts and thats cool but it is what it is. check the facts. pr is nice to visit but living there...na...i'm good. i like making money.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 AM

339 posts, read 976,435 times
The post above got it right. NYC hands down. Now if I was filthy rich PR would be the place to be. Get a waterfront property, sail through the islands, mmmm.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:00 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,214,332 times
You should've just made a thread saying you hate New York instead of trying to sugar coat it...

Old 06-04-2010, 08:08 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
San Juan's infrastructure is atrocious. But if you don't mind having abject poverty in your face 90% of your waking life, choose San Juan.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
San Juan seems to be a bit too dangerous and poverty stricken for my taste. I'm sure there are many beautiful areas, and I would love to visit there someday...but live? No.

Plus New York City is the best city in the Americas in my opinion. So obviously I choose that.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:56 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,064,454 times
I'll have to visit San Juan before I can give a fair assessment of which I prefer more.

But IMHO, there's only a handful of cities that I would rather live in than NYC (Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, Tucson, Seattle, Houston, DC, Miami/Dallas/San Francisco), so it kind of limits my options.

Plus I'm not into music, but I really enjoy art galleries and Museums and I normally go to the theater every 3 months, that's a big factor for me, since I spend a few days every 3 months at either the zoo, museum, art gallery, and theater I'm going to say NYC.

But I am sure that natural scenery is on San Juan's side. Like I said, I really have to check it out before I make a fair assessment.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,672,912 times
I have been to San Juan. It is a very poor city. Not to mention HOT.

My daughter is in the process of buying a house in a small beach town in PR. Much nicer than SJ. The smaller towns are nicer.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 PM

16,713 posts, read 29,555,716 times
San Juan, in a heartbeat.

I've already lived in another Latin American city for several years.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 PM

23,483 posts, read 44,134,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I have been to San Juan. It is a very poor city. Not to mention HOT.

My daughter is in the process of buying a house in a small beach town in PR. Much nicer than SJ. The smaller towns are nicer.
Yes, absolutely. The town of Fajardo on the NE coast of PR is lovely, for example. But San Juan? Outside the tourist area, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City