Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Georgia or North Carolina?
Atlanta Metro 54 54.00%
Research Triangle 46 46.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 09:41 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Yeah, please list the universities beyond the top 3 in RT. I bet barely anybody on this board has ever heard of them. There is a reason RT fans want to limit it to only 3 universities. GTech is definitely on a higher level than NC State btw. I would agree overall that NC would best GT, but it isn't head and shoulders above, especially if you want to talk about actual quantifiable fields and aren't just glancing at some stupid USNWR report.

But just to play your game, and for S&G...

University of California--Berkeley
Berkeley, CA

#2 University of California--Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA

#2 University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

#4 University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI

#5 University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

#6 College of William and Mary
Williamsburg, VA

#7 Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, GA

Top public schools...

Top Public Schools | Rankings | Top National Universities | US News

There is also a considerable gap between UCBerkeley and UNC.
Shaw, NC Central, Meredith, Campbell. Two well respected HBCU's, one very well respected all girls school, and one Christian school. Pretty much the same collection as you'll find in metro Atlanta. Though your childish/dismissive "that's why the triangle fans want limit it to 3 universities" mantra might actually make sense if that weren't the case.

NC's Research Triangle bests the Atlanta metro area as "university centric". You can get as many Atlanta boosters as you want to come vote in the poll to swing it the other way but the majority of people familiar with academia will know that The Triangle has a greater concentration of highly esteemed universities than Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 10:11 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,368 times
Wow. How is Atlanta winning this poll? Ignorance and Homerism. I find the Research Triangle a massively unappealing snoozefest. In every other urban amenity, Atlanta kills that concatenation of suburbs in North Carolina, but for universities the Research Triangle wins quite easily. Duke is one of the best universities in the world. Emory is a fancyish regional R1. UNC Chapel Hill is one the best public universities in the country. There is no institution in Atlanta that remotely compares. NC State beats Georgia Tech, but not by much. Give the Research Triangle its due. It wins universities: it loses everything else.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:31 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Wow. How is Atlanta winning this poll? Ignorance and Homerism. I find the Research Triangle a massively unappealing snoozefest. In every other urban amenity, Atlanta kills that concatenation of suburbs in North Carolina, but for universities the Research Triangle wins quite easily. Duke is one of the best universities in the world. Emory is a fancyish regional R1. UNC Chapel Hill is one the best public universities in the country. There is no institution in Atlanta that remotely compares. NC State beats Georgia Tech, but not by much. Give the Research Triangle its due. It wins universities: it loses everything else.
It is definitely not ignorance and homerism, it's by breaking down the entire set of universities. No way that NC State is higher than GT. Pound for pound it is definitely stronger than Atlanta, possibly the strongest in the United States given the size of the metro area, but that isn't the same as which metro area has the better universities b/c Atlanta is around 3x larger than the RT.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:00 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Shaw, NC Central, Meredith, Campbell. Two well respected HBCU's, one very well respected all girls school, and one Christian school. Pretty much the same collection as you'll find in metro Atlanta. Though your childish/dismissive "that's why the triangle fans want limit it to 3 universities" mantra might actually make sense if that weren't the case.

NC's Research Triangle bests the Atlanta metro area as "university centric". You can get as many Atlanta boosters as you want to come vote in the poll to swing it the other way but the majority of people familiar with academia will know that The Triangle has a greater concentration of highly esteemed universities than Atlanta.
Morehouse and Spelman are to prestigious HBCUs there always ranked top 5 so there not equal to NC central .. read and get your life ..

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre.../rankings/hbcu

Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeinatx View Post
Basically.

Also I find it funny because I agree with you. As a metro area/community; I find the Triangle to be very bland and basically as you say a ho-hum collection of new suburbs with little in the way of local flavor/culture. Atlanta is far more of a cultural hub and has a much greater history, culture ant national influence overall. However....it is simply ludicrous to say that The Triangle isn't in the top tier of metro areas for University/research presence. It is head and shoulders above Atlanta in that regard. And yes, as you said I think that the poll only favors Atlanta because a few Atlanta fanatics either have multiple accounts to vote with or went on the Atlanta forum and got some fellow boosters to come and vote.

Old 12-18-2012, 09:33 AM

880 posts, read 2,861,428 times
Though Atlanta has some strong universities, I don't think they are on the same level as the Triangle. The first thing that comes to mind when many people think of the Triangle is it's universities, not quite the same with Atlanta.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:56 AM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
The Triangle seems like the stronger collective.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,500,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedudewiththeplan View Post
Though Atlanta has some strong universities, I don't think they are on the same level as the Triangle. The first thing that comes to mind when many people think of the Triangle is it's universities, not quite the same with Atlanta.
Because that is the *only* thing people think about when they think about the Triangle besides Raleigh being the state capitol. What else would they think about? It's basically a conglomerate of different small cities.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Morehouse and Spelman are to prestigious HBCUs there always ranked top 5 so there not equal to NC central .. read and get your life ..

Historically Black Colleges and Universities Ranking | Rankings | US News
Did you attend either institution?

Old 12-18-2012, 03:28 PM

95 posts, read 170,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
I'm going to go ahead and give a slight edge to the Research Triangle, but I found that list interesting- amazing that Baltimore is in third with only one top-flight university in Hopkins. I guess Maryland-College Park is in the metro? Just surprised to see it that high even with the outstanding reputation Johns Hopkins has.
Baltimore has the University of Maryland, Baltimore which is the graduate and professional schools for the University of Maryland system. That means it is the medical school, law school, social work school, pharmacy school, nursing school, and dental school for the state. Thus the millions of research dollars accompany those schools and towards the Baltimore metro area. It also doesn't hurt that the universities are close to NIH and have greater access to those grants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City