Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I second this.

I was talking about economic diversity Atlanta is a little more diverse than Dallas but both are generally known to have diverse economies, though Dallas GDP is a lot larger.
Yes, Atlanta has the media outlets, is the capital of Black entertainment in the South, & has the big players like Coca-Cola.

Dallas is mainly high tech companies (AT&T, Verizon, TI, RIM, Ericsson, Metro PCS) oil (Exxon), energy (TXU, Atmos), financial, fashion (Neimans, Haggar, JC Penny, Fossil, Rolex, Zales, Mary Kay) & home decor (Michaels, Tuesday Morning, Pier 1 Imports) For food products it is home to the likes of Frito Lay, Dean Foods, Dr. Pepper/Snapple & a whole lot more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:38 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, that was my bad. I quickly reacted to what he said and blindly sought after demographics, ones not even applying to the present. It's no doubt that Dallas's economy is stronger then Atlanta...it's easy to see this in unemployment numbers and where companies are going. Atlanta's strong point is because of the airport however. It serves non-stop to many destinations and is as someone said prior only 2 hours from many major cities.
Thats true, Atlantas airport is very impressive. That said, DFW is also very impressive. Both have nonstop flights to almost every corner of the globe. ATL has a a more extensive network to the Caribbean and Europe while DFW has a more extensive network to Mexico. ATL has nonstop flights to Africa, DFW has nonstop flights to Australia. ATL has more international destinations served by one airline, DFW has more international flag carriers.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,955,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I did however ask to compare the economic diversity of each.

Thanks.
Dallas:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...p-image-53.bmp

Atlanta:
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...p-image-54.bmp

Last edited by JMT; 12-19-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 12-22-2012, 07:08 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,900,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I would never move to any one of them because of how bad they sprawl.

Atlanta's only major traffic issues is on the Downtown Connector (which is understandable), since in the state of GA, the smart idea is to merge two highly traveled interstates along the same route of the busiest part of the city.

While Atlanta's economy is definitely diverse, I give the edge to Dallas, being larger, having more Fortune 500 companies and being in a state that's dominant.

I found the people in Atlanta very rude and stuck up (as you'll eventually be able to tell on C-D.) But I found Dallas to be very materialistic.
Not trying to be a troll but you complain about Atlanta and Dallas as if Charlotte does not sprawl!

Downtown Connector the only place where you can find traffic in Atlanta? Do me a favor and try getting on GA/400 around 4:30 and let me know how that works out for you.

People are rude in Atlanta? That sounds like a very broad statement and after living there for 10 years will say this is not true.

Personally I would rather live in Atlanta for various reasons over Dallas but that is another subject all together.

To answer OP question Dallas has the better overall economy.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I can definitely tell you've never lived here if you think the only major traffic issue is the Connector.

I find that to be quite funny since the only interaction you have with the Atlanta posters here is when the topic involves Charlotte; it's also when you tend to get corrected about some of the misleading and false information you give about Atlanta in comparison (like your whole misguided perception of the sizes of both metros). So it's really not a surprise that you feel that way.
I'm so glad I read your reply before I started typing. You're exactly right...that is a post from someone who knows nothing about Atlanta.

And really - criticizing Atlanta and Dallas for sprawl when he lives in Charlotte?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yes, Atlanta has the media outlets, is the capital of Black entertainment in the South, & has the big players like Coca-Cola.

Dallas is mainly high tech companies (AT&T, Verizon, TI, RIM, Ericsson, Metro PCS) oil (Exxon), energy (TXU, Atmos), financial, fashion (Neimans, Haggar, JC Penny, Fossil, Rolex, Zales, Mary Kay) & home decor (Michaels, Tuesday Morning, Pier 1 Imports) For food products it is home to the likes of Frito Lay, Dean Foods, Dr. Pepper/Snapple & a whole lot more.
Just to add to the list, Atlanta also:

-is a huge government center (largest concentration of federal agencies outside of Washington DC and the state capital of Georgia)

-has several large universities employing many thousands of people (Emory, Georgia Tech, Georgia State, Kennesaw State, etc.)

-is a large financial center with dozens regional, national, and international banks (SunTrust HQ, Federal Reserve District HQ, etc.)

-isn't just black entertainment, but is the hub of the nation's fourth-largest film industry and a major center of television and music production.

-has a large healthcare industry and is home to some of the best hospitals in the southeast along with the CDC.

-is a major player in the food service industry (Arby's, Chick-fil-A, Hooter's, Waffle House, etc.)

-is one of the nation's largest high-tech centers of emlpoyment

-other major headquarters in Atlanta include Delta Airlines, UPS, Home Depot, Southern Company, NCR, Rubbermaid, Georgia-Pacific, Mirant, AT&T Mobility, etc.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:16 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I'm so glad I read your reply before I started typing. You're exactly right...that is a post from someone who knows nothing about Atlanta.

And really - criticizing Atlanta and Dallas for sprawl when he lives in Charlotte?
Even worse, he went off and created a sock puppet account to agree with himself! I mean, who does stuff like that? I'm guessing he was suspended for it since he's not posted since the 17th.

Old 12-23-2012, 10:30 AM

384 posts, read 595,850 times
I am slightly spinning my own thread to focus on employment numbers in the two cities.

Currently Dallas and Atlanta have unemployment rates of 6.2% and 8.2% respectively.

That is significant and I wonder if people have thoughts on that.

Sometimes a high number of young, unemployed workers with limited education can drag the number down. I don't know if the two cities differ there or not.

Thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cy_flembeck View Post
I am slightly spinning my own thread to focus on employment numbers in the two cities.

Currently Dallas and Atlanta have unemployment rates of 6.2% and 8.2% respectively.

That is significant and I wonder if people have thoughts on that.

Sometimes a high number of young, unemployed workers with limited education can drag the number down. I don't know if the two cities differ there or not.

Thanks.
Well educational attainment rates are higher in Atlanta, but the recession took more of a toll here. I suspect that if we were a center of energy like Dallas, unemployment would be lower here.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 PM

367 posts, read 996,063 times
Dallas kills Atlanta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City