Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: New York City vs San Francisco
New York 310 56.36%
San Francisco 240 43.64%
Voters: 550. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 10:04 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times

Advertisements

Dude I'm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2015, 10:24 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Dude I'm done.
Yea, can't even tell what your argument with me is.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, can't even tell what your argument with me is.
I'm not a fan of anonelitist in the slightest, but I think he made his argument (kicking, whining, and screaming) pretty clear. Gonna have to side with him on this one.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:28 AM

1,225 posts, read 1,405,345 times
New Yawk! San Fran is for fairies.

Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,177,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0DDESS View Post
New Yawk! San Fran is for fairies.
I rep NYC, but this is just plain ignorance and bigotry. You do realize that NYC has way more LGBT people than SF, right?

Old 01-16-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I'm not a fan of anonelitist in the slightest, but I think he made his argument (kicking, whining, and screaming) pretty clear. Gonna have to side with him on this one.
Sure, but why argue with me on it? My points were pretty simple.

Old 01-16-2015, 02:57 PM

1,353 posts, read 1,644,434 times
^^^You were the one that picked apart my statement and started the argument. I went on the defensive. And it started out lighthearted and casual until you started getting sassy, thinking your point was the Holy Grail of all points when clearly my point was the one that resonated. Who's missing something here?

Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
^^^You were the one that picked apart my statement and started the argument. I went on the defensive. And it started out lighthearted and casual until you started getting sassy, thinking your point was the Holy Grail of all points when clearly my point was the one that resonated. Who's missing something here?
What was the offense though? These were pretty simple points. I think the two have pretty comparable real estate prices in some ways (but overblown in others), but the stats are difficult to line up because of how the stats are often presented on a municipality to municipality basis. However, just doing straight Manhattan versus SF also doesn't seem exactly right either (whose stats are relatively easy to get).

Old 01-27-2015, 04:36 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,966,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillinthesouth View Post
I find your takes on cities interesting, but you can be a bit confusing in your assessments. Above you say you prefer several cities to San Francisco - including Washington DC. But a while ago you wrote this about DC, which was absolutely scathing:

"I hated life in Washington DC.

I hated almost everything about it after the first four months to six months of being there. It was not worth living in. I could not get used to the climate, would suffer from skin disruptions and rash most of the winter months, would have to spend much of my time indoors due to that and miss long stretches of time at work. I mean I wouldn't care about climate so much if I felt like I lived somewhere that counter-balanced the depression with things going for it, Washington DC did not fit the bill for that. In spring and autumn, my eyes, throat, nose, and ears would be inflamed, as Washington has to be one of the worst places to live in if you have allergies. I hated how violent the city was, only city I have ever lived in where I felt like I was on the verge of being robbed every single time I got on Metro, and eventually it led up to not ever using public transit again after I actually WAS robbed on Metro and just having to use the car for everything. The parking situation is a piece of (expletive), the Capital Beltway and major road networks in Northern Virginia were essentially surface parking lots, the city is small and almost entirely chain ridden right in it's mother-effin core. Washington is expensive as hell for what you get, which isn't much. The only thing the place has going for it, in my personal opinion, is the high paying government jobs..."
What's your point?

You must think it's magic or something to think one city is better while holding a preference to live elsewhere more.

Yes, I absolutely hated living in Washington (doesn't mean I hated the city, just hated living there with it's suck-a-lot climate and remedial size, sleepy characteristic), all anyone needs to do is look at it's temperatures today and wonder why. For what you have to put up with, it didn't seem worth it. Then if we look at the grander context of the country at-large Washington comes out looking fantastic compared to some of the other places in the country.

Truth is, all of my cousins in the San Francisco Bay Area are FAR more productive than me. My mum and dad are FAR more productive than me, one of my brothers is FAR more productive than me (while the other one is regarded to as the screw up in our nuclear family, and compared to the average American, he's hella productive). All of my friends in the Bay Area, save for one or at most two, are all more productive than me in the Bay Area. I would be the family failure if I lived there, what, with the no Masters degree (despite the fact that I'll be pursuing it in Fall in London), no $150,000 starting salary, no firms or the like of my own. I mean, I could live in San Francisco, sure, but I don't want to be the bottom third of society nor do I want to be the underachieving laggard trashed about member of my family or friends circle. It's just a preference.

So yeah, a place like Washington, where my achievements are in line with others of my age or slightly ahead of the pack is a much better place for me. I care what people close to me think of me, knowing them, they definitely talk about it and it socially impacts me. Therefore until or unless I have a PhD and a very very high-net worth salary or bank account, I wouldn't even consider living in the Bay Area.

Besides, my favorite place in the Bay Area is easily Sausalito. Been there? You have to be major banking to live there (or to even afford the $5.24 per gallon premium gas (my car takes premium, the regular price is $4.95) there).

I feel less pressure with the idea of Washington. I don't have anyone there to be a constant menacing schrew in my life or plans for life. I feel much less pressure in Chicago as well. Would in Los Angeles too. While I wouldn't be less pressured in New York, it's by far and away my favorite city in the world. Nothing I wouldn't stop at to make it work there, whereas, I can easily just pass on San Francisco, as great as it is, and in my opinion the second best city in the country by FAR.

Old 01-27-2015, 04:52 PM

1,227 posts, read 1,594,366 times
I don't get why people brag about how expensive a place is. Ever drive through a wealthy area? Ever notice how many people drive Corollas or Accords? Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City