Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 04:22 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,540,085 times

Advertisements

I've visited both Dallas and Houston quite frequently.

When I land in Dallas, I KNOW I'm in Texas. The Texas culture just kind of oozes out. When I go to Houston, it seems more like a big city, but ... Not as Texan? Maybe more international?

It's probably not making a lot of sense, but I can definitely tell the difference between the two cities (and I do like both).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 04:27 PM

1,264 posts, read 1,552,348 times
Here we have Northern VA, Hampton Roads, and RVA

Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Goodson is also very in touch with world events. Its stupid to say that bombs would be going off in alaska and houston and dallas would be talking about each other. there were a lot of fundraisers in the news for families of the connecticutt shooting victims. Even the texans raised money.

There are useless comparisons in the news, but probably once or twice a year. Your characterization is a major over exaggeration.
I don't think it is to be honest, at least not from my perspective after living in both (as well as Austin).

People from Houston do like to stick it to Dallas (mostly sports related though) and people in Dallas do like to act snobbish in the way of Houston. It's always been my experience to have witnessed that whether it was friends, school teachers, or just random people out and about. Yes, it's not like everyone does but the ones that do are pretty loud and vocal about it.

However there are plenty of people (probably the majority in both) that do like the other city as well.

Also while you took my post as a negative, which I can understand why, I mostly view it as a positive but with an underlying definition to it.

Sure there are regional rivalries like Fort Worth and Dallas, that's a rivalry that's largely contained within the Metroplex. No one from outside the Metroplex really cares about getting involved but rivalries beyond that, which involve millions (tens of millions of people) are more worthwhile. I've found it a characteristic of many world cities to have rivalries with one another, this is a positive in every aspect of the word to me. It's a more proactive environment that brews a competitive nature, develops a certain type of culture, and shows a place isn't insular and acknowledges that other places do exist, whether they see it as competition or as a threat or just good old fun sibling rivalry.

Some examples: Melbourne versus Sydney, London versus Paris, San Francisco versus Los Angeles, Houston versus Dallas, Toronto versus Montreal, Seattle versus Vancouver, Shanghai versus Beijing, Mumbai versus Delhi, Berlin versus Frankfurt, Rio de Janeiro versus São Paulo, Singapore versus Hong Kong, Milan versus Rome, Madrid versus Barcelona, Stockholm versus Copenhagen, Johannesburg versus Cape Town, Cairo versus Alexandria, Dubai versus Abu Dhabi, Tel Aviv versus Jerusalem, so on.

Several of those rivalries have produced beneficial results, be it in a bid for the Olympics (do you remember that one?), hosting the World Fair, striving to better the other in international cricket tournaments, soccer, any event really. bettering infrastructure, cultural stimulants, so on. I find them interesting especially when they're validated by cities that are roughly in the same breathe in terms of power, influence, size, lifestyle (albeit divergently different), so on.
Quote:
As for the other cuties hating austin, that is more internet mischaracterization. Growing up all i heard was Austin is so nice.
Most Austinites don't care what anyone in the world is thinking of their city, whether it's on this forum or actual life. They're literally the types to roll their eyes and brush it off, however yes you're right, for a place that gets oblitered by Houston or Dallas on cultural amenities, sophistication, economic prominence, wealth, and so much more, Austinites are on the delusional side.

Can you blame them? Most just like nightlife, bars, live music, films, and scenery. None of those things matter to them but I agree they could exhibit less "Austitude" than they do.

I like all three cities by the way: Austin, Dallas, and Houston. All firmly within my top 15 because of what they offer and stuff.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:36 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
I don't think it is to be honest, at least not from my perspective after living in both.

People from Houston do like to stick it to Dallas (mostly sports related though) and people in Dallas do like to act snobbish in the way of Houston. It's always been my experience to have witnessed that whether it was friends, school teachers, or just random people out and about.

However there are plenty of people (probably the majority in both) that do like the other city as well.

Also while you took my post as a negative, which I can understand why, I mostly view it as a positive but with an underlying definition to it.

Sure there are regional rivalries like Fort Worth and Dallas, that's a rivalry that's largely contained within the Metroplex. No one from outside the Metroplex really cares about getting involved but rivalries beyond that, which involve millions (tens of millions of people) are more worthwhile. I've found it a characteristic of many world cities to have rivalries with one another, this is a positive in every aspect of the word. It's a more proactive environment that brews a competitive nature, develops a certain type of culture, and shows a place isn't insular and acknowledges that other places do exist, whether they see it as competition or as a threat or just good old fun sibling rivalry.

Some examples: Melbourne versus Sydney, London versus Paris, San Francisco versus Los Angeles, Houston versus Dallas, Toronto versus Montreal, Seattle versus Vancouver, Shanghai versus Beijing, Mumbai versus Delhi, Berlin versus Frankfurt, Rio de Janeiro versus São Paulo, Singapore versus Hong Kong, Milan versus Rome, Madrid versus Barcelona, Stockholm versus Copenhagen.

Several of those rivalries have produced beneficial results, be it in a bid for the Olympics (do you remember that one?), hosting the World Fair, bettering infrastructure, cultural stimulants, so on. I find them interesting especially when they're validated by cities that are roughly in the same breathe in terms of power, influence, size, lifestyle (albeit divergently different), so on.

Most Austinites don't care what anyone in the world is thinking of their city, whether it's on this forum or actual life. They're literally the types to roll their eyes and brush it off, however yes you're right, for a place that gets oblitered by Houston or Dallas on cultural amenities, sophistication, economic prominence, wealth, and so much more, Austinites are on the delusional side.

Can you blame them? Most just like nightlife, bars, live music, films, and scenery. None of those things matter to them but I agree they could exhibit less "Austitude" than they do.
I did not say that people from dallas and houston dont stick it to each other, what i said was tgat you were blowing it far out of proportion.

As for austin, they are by far the most fixated city in Texas. Can hardly tell an Austinite that you are from some other city in Texas without a ten minute speech about how that city sucks and Austin is far superior.

The vast majority of Houston, Dallas and San Antonio people i have met in these 14 years i have lived in Texas generally have goid things to say about the other cities. Good luck finding Long tome Austin residents with good things to say about anywhere else in Texas.

Austin is easily my least favorite of the big Texas five. And that is saying something cause i hate san antonio

Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canefandynasty View Post
Which state would you say has the most competition among its cities? For example, you would say LA AND SF has good rivalry among best city in Cali, and Texas has FW/Dallas, Houston and even San Antonio and Austin.
Yeah Cali and Texas are the big ones. Maybe throw Florida in.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:38 AM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
What?

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX: 6,887,383
Houston, TX: 6,191,434
Uh ... you've quoted the stats for the metropolitan statistical areas ... which include other cities and unincorporated areas. In the case of Dallas-Fort Worth, it includes the city of Fort Worth, which has its own rivalry with Dallas.

Comparing the city population only:

Houston: 2,145,146
Dallas: 1,223,229

Houston is the fourth-largest city in the US, and the largest in Texas. Dallas is ninth-largest in the US, but is third-largest in Texas, coming in behind San Antonio, which has 1,359,758.

Houston really doesn't care about what Dallas is, or does.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:

Houston really doesn't care about what Dallas is, or does.
I don't think many people in any city care as much about other cities as people make it out to seem on here.

People are competitive by nature and will have things like sports rivalries etc but to be keeping a nise on everything another city does is just not reality.

Most people have no idea what a metropolitan area is. They know that the DFW area has lots of cities, but what they know is what the media tells them, and for the last half century or more they have been hearing that Houston is the biggest city in Texas.

Don't think many Houstonians, or Texans outside of Dallas for that matter, have any doubts where the biggest city is.

Dallas was joined with forth worth as an MSA in 2003. It really has not sunk in yet that this is one area. I think Houston people see Philadelphia and Chicago as closer to then in size because of a lack of understanding metro areas

Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,964,875 times
Quote:
I did not say that people from dallas and houston dont stick it to each other, what i said was tgat you were blowing it far out of proportion.
Houstonians I've met, well at least the ones I know like to dislike Dallas. I'm not going to say hate because that's too strong of a word for this context in general. I'm also not saying all of them but there are a lot of them that carried away with the big Texas rivalry. When in Dallas, I admit there's some snobbery but it's not a passionate hatred for the place.
Quote:
As for austin, they are by far the most fixated city in Texas. Can hardly tell an Austinite that you are from some other city in Texas without a ten minute speech about how that city sucks and Austin is far superior.
Let's just say that people in Austin are in the belief that what their city offers is best for them and not available in the other Texas cities. To which I agree but still doesn't mean much. Austin's a medium sized city with a caliber of cultural institutions for a medium sizes city. The nightlife, vibe, personality, film & music, and scenery is what they cherish most so it's not surprising why they believe what they do.

Austinites don't really have much of a credibility to criticize the other cities, they do it anyways because it's snobbery. Best defined by Austitude.

I don't know why you don't just laugh in their face, pat them on the head, and say "sure" instead of taking criticisms from them.
Quote:
The vast majority of Houston, Dallas and San Antonio people i have met in these 14 years i have lived in Texas generally have goid things to say about the other cities. Good luck finding Long tome Austin residents with good things to say about anywhere else in Texas.
I agree with that.
Quote:
Austin is easily my least favorite of the big Texas five. And that is saying something cause i hate san antonio
I like both places. Like San Antonio but I love Austin. They're not bad cities by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:38 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,136 times
Other than the obvious (Texas), North Carolina.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
Other than the obvious (Texas), North Carolina.
I know people probably think Charlotte and Raleigh do a lot of competing, but they actually complement each other more than they actually compete. If any two cities in the state actually compete, it would be Greensboro and Winston-Salem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City