Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 AM

6,843 posts, read 10,956,393 times

Advertisements

To Houstonians & Dallasities the world doesn't matter. There could be an atom bomb somewhere in Alaska going off and they wouldn't blink at it because they're so into each other. No other city matters to Houstonians other than Dallas, no other city matters to Dallasites other than Houston.

At this point though, I would say they mutually have an annoyance from Austin. I think the word "hate" is going too far to describe how these cities view one another, there's animosity just as any case in a sibling rivalry but at the end of the day there's deep care & concern for one another. Houston was snubbed a Space Shuttle from NASA- first place to show it's support for Houston in it's dark hours was Dallas. It's always this way & whatever the situation is in California I'm sure at the end of the day most Bay Area people & Los Angelenos are proud to have each other in the same state.

It's a brotherhood in my personal opinion, people from states with only one significant city and a multitude of small towns wouldn't ever understand that sort of bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I love LA too and I grew up in and around the Bay Area, I just really hate the Lakers and USC. But, yeah Giants fans really, really hate the Dodgers. I don't know if it's at the level of Red Sox-Yankees, but that rivalry is pretty heated these days.
It's bigger. And the Dodgers deserve the hatred. They are trying to buy their way out of suckdom in 2013. Good luck with that.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:40 AM

507 posts, read 806,605 times
This is exactly what I and many others have been saying on this thread, click on the "I love to hate LA" link
i hate los angeles | Tumblr

And it's not just a Norcal phenomenon
http://laist.com/2012/04/21/america_hates_us.php

Last edited by the Instigator; 12-27-2012 at 03:59 AM..

Old 12-27-2012, 08:21 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,892,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Ummmmm... NO! Pittsburgh is 1/3 the size of Philadelphia in many things, size, and GDP just to name a few...
LA 3x's size of SF...I guess there's no rival/competition there....Houston is 2x the size of Dallas, yep no state rival/competition there either....PLEASE! this is 2013 there more to look at than just raw population numbers...

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are pretty much treated as EQUAL big cities in the eyes of the Pennsylvania Governance....You can not tell me one in way in the last 50 years how one city overshadows the other in the attention they get from the State. Pittsburgh is a Capitol City for a large share of the state that cannot be ignored.

Philadelphia has always tried to look down at Pittsburgh simply because its the bigger city. But to be honest there are many economic metrics where Pittsburgh excels above Philadelphia. Same with SF to LA, or Dallas to Houston.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,380,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Instigator View Post
This subject of the SF/LA rivalry has been brought up many times before on citydata, and even some bay area residents agree that that there's much more dislike going from north to south, it's not just me, you can ask Valentro, justme02, Raycharleslives, 18montclair, Scrantix, etc. No one is saying that the bay area is pre-occupied or obsessed with LA, its just of matter of experience and most on city data from California would agree with me.
Valentro is not from California (I know him so...yeah...)
justme02 never lived in the Bay Area like I did (though I don't know his exact experiences there), and in all my 3 years living in the Bay, I don't remember getting that much hostility being from LA

I don't remember 18montclair nor ScrantiX ever saying anything about it, nor did I remember RaymondCharlesLives say something about it. Now unless you have direct quotes from the above 3 members, then I don't know what to tell you.

And appealing to popular opinion, even if it was valid in this case (which it's not), is false logic. If it was the right thing to do, then everyone would still have to believe the world is flat.

The fact you keep replying to me and won't let it go means you are getting pretty defensive about it, since my initial response to you wasn't anywhere near as hostile as you are being to me.

You don't like how I characterize Angelenos, when I was pretty specific that I wasn't generalizing Angelenos as much as you were. Considering I'm an Angeleno, wouldn't that make you wrong if it was meant to cover all Angelenos?

Let it go, it's not a big deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
It's bigger. And the Dodgers deserve the hatred. They are trying to buy their way out of suckdom in 2013. Good luck with that.
Two words:

Melky. Cabreroids.

Enjoy winning the NL West again, that's if the D-Backs don't knock you guys off

Old 12-27-2012, 10:22 AM

9,327 posts, read 12,999,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
LA 3x's size of SF...I guess there's no rival/competition there....Houston is 2x the size of Dallas, yep no state rival/competition there either....PLEASE! this is 2013 there more to look at than just raw population numbers...

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are pretty much treated as EQUAL big cities in the eyes of the Pennsylvania Governance....You can not tell me one in way in the last 50 years how one city overshadows the other in the attention they get from the State. Pittsburgh is a Capitol City for a large share of the state that cannot be ignored.

Philadelphia has always tried to look down at Pittsburgh simply because its the bigger city. But to be honest there are many economic metrics where Pittsburgh excels above Philadelphia. Same with SF to LA, or Dallas to Houston.
I don't disagree with this for the most part, but they're still not direct peers like Houston and Dallas (equally large metros, similar economic/cultural prominence). LA/SF is probably a better comparison, as Philly/PGH don't stack up well based on absolute numbers, but do compare decently on a per capita basis).

Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

What?

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX: 6,887,383
Houston, TX: 6,191,434

They're comparably sized. If anything, it's D-F-Dubs that's the larger of the two. Duhhh. That's where the animosity brews from- unlike most other states the Texas cities have all boomed or stalled together. It leads to people in the state believing their city is the best- a notion that's still & likely always will be up for grabs because they all excel at different things.

I agree with your second point though, Houston has a lot of things over Dallas & vice versa Dallas has a lot of things over Houston. I suppose the same goes for the Bay Area & Los Angeles areas.

I'm curious though since the state hasn't been mentioned much here but what about Florida? Do Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, & Miami see each other as rivals or do they just not care whatsoever?

On a side note: I've never been to Pittsburgh but it seems like such a lovely city, my favorite city in Pennsylvania for that matter but eventually I'll have to see it to validate that thought.

Old 12-27-2012, 04:50 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
Why?

I've noticed it myself in my cousins that live in the Bay Area, none of them seem fond of Los Angeles. What's the reason?
There's people all over the Western US(and in much of the rest of the US) who have negative views of Los Angeles--often more so than any other city. Often though it's just people who haven't really been to Los Angeles.

I think it's actually less severe a feeling towards LA in the Bay Area than you'd find in somewhere like Seattle or Boise or Denver, where LA just serves as stand-in for the idea of everything they think is wrong with California... Though it's often just based on the common stereotypes of the region...

Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's people all over the Western US(and in much of the rest of the US) who have negative views of Los Angeles--often more so than any other city. Often though it's just people who haven't really been to Los Angeles.

I think it's actually less severe a feeling towards LA in the Bay Area than you'd find in somewhere like Seattle or Boise or Denver, where LA just serves as stand-in for the idea of everything they think is wrong with California... Though it's often just based on the common stereotypes of the region...
I have a lot of cousins in California & relatives in general. All of them being close family (my mother & father's siblings & their kids) all of them having moved to California from either Chicagoland or the Boston area.

My older cousin likes Los Angeles & California in general. Last I saw him was 9 months ago when he came to visit me in Austin. I showed him around and we both have an interest in travel & geography in general- we often have similar tastes but more over he's not really content with most places in the country. He lives in Cuptertino, California (San Jose's suburb) and he likes Los Angeles but he told me if he couldn't live in the Bay Area, he'd opt out to live in Bangalore, Sydney, or Berlin rather than anywhere else in the country. His son 12 is a Lakers fan but his opinion (however meaningless a 13 year old's maybe at the present) mirrors his father. His wife has nothing nice to say about Los Angeles & his daughter goes more off the mother than the father. My cousin however likes Los Angeles more so than Chicago by far actually which he describes as an "insular" and "weird" place- midwestern culture in general- just about the only thing he likes about Chicago is the skyline. Clearly a notion I disagree with him on but we have different upbringings, he was born in Bangalore, spent his entire childhood in Boston, teen years in Chicago, college years in Bangalore, post marriage 2 years in Chicago and then moved to the Bay Area due to a job opportunity and hasn't looked back since. I'm 100% Americanized Indian & Singaporean, I have no Indian friends at all, don't celebrate the Indian holidays with my family, don't believe in Hinduism like them, & live entirely detached from those customs. Perhaps it's a different upbringing.

His sister (my other cousin) moved to the Bay Area in San Jose proper from Chicagoland, she's lived in Boston & Chicago her entire life. Those are the cities she's accustomed too & she never wanted to move from either of them to California but her husbands "dream" has always been to live in the Bay Area. Neither of them like Los Angeles, I feel a lot of that could be brewed from sports rivalries, they root for any NBA team over the Lakers despite the Lakers being a team in their state- when I'm around them I'm a hugely Lakers fan but even more so around them because it's like a thorn in their Bulls & Celtics backs. I spent the 2010 NBA Finals with them in Chicago at my parents' place in River North- we had a discussion about "why I'm a Lakers fan" to which I told them when you grow up in Houston you're a Los Angeles supporter & a Rockets supporter. Their response "two loser cities" and in "more ways than just sports". My family has a lot of snobbery & elitism, myself included I suppose. Their kids, brought up to think Northern California, Chicago, & Bostonia are the greatest places in the United States of America. Everywhere else, is just "beneath" that. They have a soft spot for Austin, Denver, Portland, & Seattle though. The kids will grow up being "Indian Indians" they're quite the superstars in my family because they're young 4 or 5 year olds, my mother makes at least 7 to 8 trips a year to the Bay Area just to see them, her sister who lives in Chicago (when her husband retires- my uncle- will also move on over to the Bay Area- also known as in my family as the "hub" & the greatest place on Earth to them). My mother says in the next few years she & my father will also make the move to the Bay Area permanently (an idea that my father absolutely loathes- since his preference is actually Los Angeles or San Diego but my mom always wins- tough luck to him).

What do all these people have in common (besides the family stuff)? They all have such negative feelings for Los Angeles.

My two younger brothers, also share in this disdain for Los Angeles. Both will end up in the Bay Area in the next two years for college & beyond. One of them next school year, for the other the school year afterwards.

I have a cousin in Los Angeles, she is the daughter of one of my moms elder sisters- I used to have more contact with her until I moved to Washington. She was born & raised in Lucknow (India) all her life and lived in Delhi & Mumbai afterwards. Her father is a big politician in India since engineering, programming, doctors, & politicians are by far the only careers anyone in my family ever pursues (until me). After she got married her parents were against the idea of her moving to Los Angeles with her husband (who actually lived in Los Angeles both before & after the wedding) because they being the insular hypocritical Indians that they are (jealous of America in general) viewed Los Angeles as "all that is wrong with the United States" based off what they've seen & heard. When they visited the place, they kept that mindset- a mindset that only allows you to see only the negatives to what a place has to offer and nothing redeemable. It's ironic that they think Mumbai- which has the same tag label in South Asia (as everything wrong with "India") is perfectly acceptable but Los Angeles is not. She moved to Los Angeles however, has been living there since 2007 and has enjoyed it but she's relocating to the Bay Area (probably already has since I last talked to her- she was at that time packing up to make the move) and has since developed the same type of snobbery against Los Angeles since then. It has nothing to do with what she's "heard" or "seen" but more because she now feels that San Francisco & the Bay Area are paradise in comparison to Los Angeles and that the Bay Area is the greatest place in the country & by far in California.

Her younger sister (my other cousin- exactly my age) is more like me, we both see Los Angeles as a stellar city. If I was offered a job in Los Angeles that I couldn't get here in Washington- I would gladly accept it and try Los Angeles out. This cousin of mine, the one that's my age has been pestering me for the last 5 years about "getting a place together" in Los Angeles to experience the lifestyle there. I would if I could but my path has never crossed Los Angeles.

There's one more family in the Bay Area that's incredibly close to & apart of my family but that's something I'd rather not share to be frank- they also view Bay Area as the greatest place in the world. I suppose, this is what happens when you put lots of snobby South Asians together working in IT, medicine, & having lived in Boston or Chicago most of their lives.

I know their reasons for their "disdain" of Los Angeles, to be frank- in my family snobbery, elitism, & the thought that "something is great so everything else in the state must suck" is all too prevalent. It's really just a case of "I prefer" and intensive badmouthing for places they don't prefer as much. I'm generally not like that- I grew up here all my life, my parents largely were never around except on major holidays when we would travel together- so I've seen their opinions & the opinions of other family members since the only time we do have a "bond" is when we all travel together. I grew up not hating anywhere, I suppose that could be because I've lived in that hell they call a country India- where every city in America offers x1,000,000 better lifestyle and Singapore where every city in America feels x1,000,000 more liberating.

My friends, the close ones- they all share the same opinions as everyone else in my family. My friends in Austin- all they care for in California is San Francisco. My friends in Washington, same thing- they're all about San Francisco. My friends in Dallas, same story. My former friends in Houston from high school (we have since broken apart because we all ended up in different parts of the country) the hipster, Asian, & caucasian ones all viewed San Francisco as the end all be all while the more down to Earth ones- the non hipster ones, the non-snobby ones all preferred Los Angeles.

I don't have bad views of Los Angeles (I quite love the place)- then again I'm just infinitely different than every single other person in my family & my friends. Looking through my post & moving along- I think you answered the question well in regards to other people that may share these thoughts. Overall though, I'm someone that likes the cities in California- all of them. I could see myself live in & be happy in San Diego, Bay Area, or Los Angeles. I could even tolerate Sacramento, it's large enough & seems to offer enough but it's more of my "middle of the pack" choice than a first pick.

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 12-27-2012 at 06:20 PM..

Old 12-27-2012, 07:11 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valentro View Post
What?

Dallas-Fort Worth, TX: 6,887,383
Houston, TX: 6,191,434

They're comparably sized. If anything, it's D-F-Dubs that's the larger of the two. Duhhh. That's where the animosity brews from- unlike most other states the Texas cities have all boomed or stalled together. It leads to people in the state believing their city is the best- a notion that's still & likely always will be up for grabs because they all excel at different things.

I agree with your second point though, Houston has a lot of things over Dallas & vice versa Dallas has a lot of things over Houston. I suppose the same goes for the Bay Area & Los Angeles areas.

I'm curious though since the state hasn't been mentioned much here but what about Florida? Do Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, & Miami see each other as rivals or do they just not care whatsoever?

On a side note: I've never been to Pittsburgh but it seems like such a lovely city, my favorite city in Pennsylvania for that matter but eventually I'll have to see it to validate that thought.
Tampa and Orlando compete with each other im fairly certain. there is even a competition between Miami and Tampa over beaches. Jacksonville is the black sheep out of the cities and is always hated upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City