Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you rather live?
Portland 115 49.57%
Philly 117 50.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Well too bad a million more people would rather in Philadelphia them Portland with less land area. So lets let the people speak, not one ignorant person on city data.

I want you Portland posters to post pictures of your BEST neighborhood, and I'll post mine, so you can clearly see the cities don't compare.. Philly has Portland type architecture in certain areas, and many many more styles al through the city, heck you guys have NO place better then society hill, or even chestnut hill. I don't wanna hear arguing, prove me wrong through pictures....
Portland and Philadelphia look different but Portland has beautiful neighborhoods. Along with its different terrain makes it beautiful in its on right. Have you ever been?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foo cities View Post
portland is much more exciting and established. It's a virtual 24/7 downtown city.
Laughable.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:36 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Portland is more of a "nice" city while Philadelphia is a true metropolis. If you prefer Portland it's likely due to the enviroment, lifestyle and/or socio-political bend of the population, not because it has more access.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM

725 posts, read 1,210,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Portland and Philadelphia look different but Portland has beautiful neighborhoods. Along with its different terrain makes it beautiful in its on right. Have you ever been?
Stop talking, and show me.

And no I don't wanna see hills and flowing Japanese gardens and so forth I wanna see the city, and the urban offerings.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:11 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Stop talking, and show me.

And no I don't wanna see hills and flowing Japanese gardens and so forth I wanna see the city, and the urban offerings.
I suggest you take a trip.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:

I must say I generally really enjoy your pics

And Agree Portland has a lot to offer, though I will be honest I have very limited experience with it

Old 04-25-2013, 02:43 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,252,903 times
Quote:
Agree. Portland is definitely worth a trip. Knowing we wanted to leave Houston a few years back, we took exploratory trips to various cities around the country before deciding where to settle. On one of those vacations, we spent about two weeks in the PNW, including 3 or 4 days in Portland. While in the area, we also spent time along the coast, in the Willamette Valley wine country and a made the trip down to Crater Lake. If we were going to move to that region, we preferred Portland over Seattle because we found the city more cohesive and easier to navigate v the disjointed nature of Seattle's neighborhoods.

Ultimately, because we had more choices than Seattle and Portland, we landed in Philly. These are two very different cities. While we liked Portland, we were attracted to the densely developed and more bustling environment of Philadelphia. We also really liked the fact that city offers easy access to the other big NE cites as well as countryside we find more appealing to our tastes.

I find this match-up an odd comparison. I can't imagine anyone being truly torn between these two cities, as they feel so different to me. That said, there is one thing they share, IMO: they could each do a better job in making their riverfronts more appealing.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 PM

87 posts, read 229,640 times
Philadelphia and Portland are two of the great hipster meccas of the United States. Hipsters move back and forth between Brooklyn, Philadelphia and Portland all the time.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:24 PM

87 posts, read 229,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleSchoolFool View Post
lived in portland
nightlife sux
Your original post was:

"Comparing these cities and their metro areas, which has better nightlife and more things to do?"

Since you already have a strong opinion about Portland, why didn't you begin this thread by writing:

I lived in Portland. The nightlife sux. Is Philly better?

Last edited by The Ancient Oracle; 04-25-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-25-2013, 04:58 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Tallest 5 buildings in Portland

1. Wells Fargo Center- 546 feet
2. US Bancorp Tower- 536 feet
3. KOIN Center- 509 feet
4. PacWest Center- 418 feet
5. Fox Tower- 372 feet
List of tallest buildings in Portland, Oregon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tallest 5 in Philadelphia

1. Comcast center- 975 feet
2. One Liberty Place- 945 feet
3. Two Liberty Place- 848 feet
4. BNY Mellon Center- 792 feet
5. Three Logan Square- 739 feet
List of tallest buildings in Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You guys almost had a 1,500 footer as well. The American Commerce Center, the building that looked very similar to One World Trade Center in New York. I forgot why it never got built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City