Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus vs. Minneapolis
Columbus 49 27.68%
Minneapolis 128 72.32%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 10:37 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times

Advertisements

I'd rather live in Columbus. Minneapolis is just too out-of-the-way for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:06 AM

6,083 posts, read 10,694,910 times
I voted Columbus because I felt bad. This is an unfair thread!

Old 01-14-2013, 11:20 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
I have lived in both cities, so.....

-Downtowns (Minneapolis. It's bigger and has more to do during the day and especially the nighttime. Columbus' main drawbacks are that downtown is too spread out and it doesn't have solid integrated neighborhoods just yet. However, Columbus' downtown, like Minneapolis', is changing quickly, and it won't be long before its downsides become obsolete and it joins the ranks of other cities with established neighborhoods and interesting nightlife....it's only a matter of time).
-Neighborhoods (Minneapolis. Again, having lived in the city in both places I have a decent feel for both of their key nabes. Minneapolis has such nice 'hoods scattered throughout the city, and you can have anything from high density living to almost suburban-esque quaintness. Columbus has a few nice areas but a lot of the city is either rough or downtrotten and gritty, or purely suburban in feel. It's also extremely auto-oriented compared to Minny, and I blame that on how the grid was set up -- with non-linear streets throughout much of the city).
-Mass transit (Minneapolis. Not only does it have light rail but it has an extensive bus system that most cities would be envious of. The last I heard Columbus was still having trouble getting LRT and may have opted for a Streetcar down High St. instead...but it's certainly behind in this regard).
-Bikeability (Minneapolis. Minny is one of the best in the country, so this one is particularly tough for C-bus to compare with. The obvious downside for Minny is weather, but that doesn't seem to stop many people).
-Live music (I don't know enough about either city to judge this, but I've HEARD more about Minny's than Columbus').
-Walkability (Minneapolis. Columbus has walkable nabes like Short North, German Village, etc. that could potentially beat the best of what Minny has to offer, but Minny has them throughout the entire city and they are cleaner and greener than Columbus').
-Tourist destinations (Minneapolis. Not counting MOA, since it's in Bloomington, Minny has the Chain of Lakes as its main attraction whereas Columbus' would probably be the Horseshoe. If that's the case then Minny would win, as I personally find the Chain of Lakes to be one of the nation's best urban parks, period. I don't know the number of people it attracts though).
-Local culture (Minneapolis. I have a bias since I grew up in Minneapolis and it has a very distinct Northern culture that centers around the lakes and water in general, and I was never comfortable with the culture in Columbus, which seems more Southern/Appalachain in nature and people don't seem as friendly or educated either).
-Food (Minneapolis. The best restaurants in Minneapolis are notably better than anything I had in Columbus, but I was mostly exposed to the cheap food in Columbus, which does alright. Cheap eats alone, they may be tied, but Minneapolis seems to offer more and better fine cuisine).
-Unique locales (I am not sure what this means!)

Old 01-14-2013, 11:39 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,711,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Minneapolis, not even close.
^

Old 01-14-2013, 01:05 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
^
^

Old 01-14-2013, 01:45 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,983,949 times
-Downtowns - Minneapolis
-Neighborhoods - Minneapolis
-Mass transit - Minneapolis
-Bikeability - Minneapolis
-Live music - Minneapolis
-Walkability - Minneapolis
-Tourist destinations - Minneapolis
-Local culture - Minneapolis
-Food - Minneapolis
-Unique locales - Minneapolis

This is one of the oddest vs threads I've come across. Minneapolis may have a city-proper population of only 387,753 (2011 estimate), but it stacks up very well against cities that are much larger.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:54 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,624,695 times
Minneapolis by a longshot. They are entirely different types of cities culture-wise, regional-orientation, urban set-up, etc. Minneapolis is on an entirely different tier.

Minneapolis' peers are Seattle, St. Louis, Cleveland, maybe Milwaukee. Columbus' are Louisville, Memphis, Oklahoma City, maybe Indianapolis.

Last edited by BigLake; 01-14-2013 at 02:12 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 05:39 PM

53 posts, read 215,596 times
Minneapolis by a longshot. They are entirely different types of cities culture-wise, regional-orientation, urban set-up, etc. Minneapolis is on an entirely different tier.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, from the comments on here you would think Columbus just got indoor plumbing and electricty. LOL

Old 01-14-2013, 06:05 PM

225 posts, read 462,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
They have the best outhouses west of the Appalachians!

To be fair, though, the OP has some kind of imbalance and is obsessed with comparing these two cities. He likely started this thread with the specific intention of having a lopsided poll result (you know, because C-D polls are all scientific and objective). He needs it to validate his sense of purpose in life. It's sad and I hope people stop encouraging this kind of insanity.
The above hits the nail on the head. Columbus is a great city, Minneapolis is a great city. I could live in either but choose Columbus. I don't understand trying to compare these two.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
Minneapolis just seems like a better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City