Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 04:11 PM

10,974 posts, read 10,871,072 times

Advertisements

Try Midtown

Old 02-14-2013, 08:41 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Is this thread serious lol .. buckhead Atlantic station ghetto ???

Old 02-15-2013, 12:52 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,099,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
deleted
I think this should pointed out, West Village is a part of uptown Dallas. Uptown Dallas is no where close to as big and as urban as Buckhead and midtown are. Uptown is the area to the left, DT Dallas is to the right.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6...a761e050_b.jpg

Uptown Dallas towers are about the same height of the towers along Peachtree.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...1/buckhead.jpg

like wise Atlanta Midtown next to Downtown
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/8...56905f70_z.jpg

Buckhead in the background,
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6090/6...af96a6d7_b.jpg

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 02-15-2013 at 09:45 PM..

Old 02-15-2013, 01:40 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,130,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I think this should pointed out, West Village is a part of uptown Dallas. Uptown Dallas is no where close to as big and as urban as Buckhead and midtown are. Uptown is the area to the left, DT Dallas is to the right.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6...a761e050_b.jpg

Uptown Dallas towers are about the same height of the towers along Peachtree.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...1/buckhead.jpg

like wise Atlanta Midtown next to Downtown
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/8...56905f70_z.jpg

Buckhead in the background,
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6090/6...af96a6d7_b.jpg
I've never really been impressed with Dallas's urban core to begin with. It's downtown is heavily lacking and feels more like an office park then a downtown area even in the core areas of the downtown. At least Atlanta feels like an urban CBD compared to an office park. Atlanta also has much more streetlife then Dallas at it's core....Dallas is actually a ghost town....Atlanta can sometimes make you feel like you're in a Northeast city on regular days.

West Village/Uptown is urban, but not exactly in a good way. It feels more like a Buckhead type urban then a Midtown/Downtown type urban. Lack pedestrians for the most part because it's just not connected to the CBD in a good way....the difference is that Atlanta has CBD's in both Downtown and Midtown and infill occurring between these 2 CBD's...very similar to the Manhattan layout....Dallas has just one major CBD and that's downtown.

I've always said that Atlanta feels more dense at it's core then Houston and Dallas. Other then Midtown Manhattan, Midtown Atlanta is the only other significant Midtown in the nation.

I figure Atlanta will have the better urban core in 20 years. It will more resemble the traditional urban core then the Buckhead/Ritzey type urban layout that has lawns and fountains for every building.

Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 AM

Oh and Atlanta has 5x the skyline as Dallas. Atlanta's skyline has architectural and height variety and feels more balanced. Dallas feels like it has height for the first half, then drops off considerably where uptown is...not balanced at all. The panorama of Midtown and Downtown from 17th Street is hard to beat for most cities in the U.S.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM

30 posts, read 53,923 times
I disagree with Atl having 5x the skyline. There are alot of tall buildings but they're kinda tossed about randomly. I love how dallas's skyline is primarily clustered together. And WV has flourished in the past one year. It has taken on a whole new face and they're still building midrise condos on top of shopping and dining.

And, I knew there would be those who bring up racism. Give me a break, I'm discussing the atmosphere of a culture and zero to do with the value of an individual or group. Leave please.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,856,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clspruiell View Post
I disagree with Atl having 5x the skyline. There are alot of tall buildings but they're kinda tossed about randomly. I love how dallas's skyline is primarily clustered together. And WV has flourished in the past one year. It has taken on a whole new face and they're still building midrise condos on top of shopping and dining.

And, I knew there would be those who bring up racism. Give me a break, I'm discussing the atmosphere of a culture and zero to do with the value of an individual or group. Leave please.
Our skyline is not tossed around. It follows the main thoroughfare, Peachtree Street, north to south.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clspruiell View Post

Yeah, but once you're actually in downtown Dallas, it's a completely different story. Buildings don't feel very close together and don't have many urban canyons. As I said, it has more of an office park layout then anything else. And let's not lie. It's dead for the most part. Downtown Atlanta has life at night in parts of it, especially on the Peachtree Corridor. Midtown consistently has life throughout the day. Uptown is like Buckhead only very close to downtown instead of being 5 miles from downtown.

As I said, you will not be disappointed with midtown Atlanta....very far from ghetto...other then the occasional crime that occurs and it's consistently growing and infilling as we speak. You are also close to transit, actual subway like transit.

However, it seems like you already love Dallas, so why not just move there then or stay in Birmingham, then move to Dallas once you have the opportunity? Why do a comparison only to consistently bring down Atlanta? We try to tell you midtown and based on the lack of response to it, I'm guessing you don't even want to consider Atlanta.

Only reason I'm arguing for Atlanta instead of against is because Dallas is actually a worst city then Atlanta as far as urbanistic features are concerned.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:37 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,498,900 times
Why exactly are there two threads on this?

Old 02-15-2013, 02:13 PM

30 posts, read 53,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Yeah, but once you're actually in downtown Dallas, it's a completely different story. Buildings don't feel very close together and don't have many urban canyons. As I said, it has more of an office park layout then anything else. And let's not lie. It's dead for the most part. Downtown Atlanta has life at night in parts of it, especially on the Peachtree Corridor. Midtown consistently has life throughout the day. Uptown is like Buckhead only very close to downtown instead of being 5 miles from downtown.

As I said, you will not be disappointed with midtown Atlanta....very far from ghetto...other then the occasional crime that occurs and it's consistently growing and infilling as we speak. You are also close to transit, actual subway like transit.

However, it seems like you already love Dallas, so why not just move there then or stay in Birmingham, then move to Dallas once you have the opportunity? Why do a comparison only to consistently bring down Atlanta? We try to tell you midtown and based on the lack of response to it, I'm guessing you don't even want to consider Atlanta.

Only reason I'm arguing for Atlanta instead of against is because Dallas is actually a worst city then Atlanta as far as urbanistic features are concerned.

I'll def check out midtown more.. I want somewhere that my wife can walk out the front door and go jogging safely ya know? And I agree the ATL skyline runs all the way up and down peachtree, i was mainly talking about a view. I like a cluster of buildings. It's almost more umm "art-like" but I really just base this on what I see when I look out windows. Im not professional skyline critic or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City