Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:17 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I think this should pointed out, West Village is a part of uptown Dallas. Uptown Dallas is no where close to as big and as urban as Buckhead and midtown are. Uptown is the area to the left, DT Dallas is to the right.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6...a761e050_b.jpg

Uptown Dallas towers are about the same height of the towers along Peachtree.
http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/i...1/buckhead.jpg

like wise Atlanta Midtown next to Downtown
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7119/8...56905f70_z.jpg

Buckhead in the background,
http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6090/6...af96a6d7_b.jpg
The buckhead area lol like farmland and no it doesn't compare to North Dallas lol!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Most of my adult life has been spent in one or the other of these two cities. You know Dallas well, but you do not know Atlanta well at all, otherwise you would have listed more than Downton and Midtown Atlanta. There are comparable neighborhoods to Oak Lawn and Know-Henderson in Atlanta, but seems you have only been to Midtown.

I can't think of a more apples to apples comparison between two large cities in the US than Atlanta and Dallas.
He lived in Atlanta "7 years".... But everyone has lived in Atlanta when there trying to make a point just saying ...

Old 02-18-2013, 12:33 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
City- Data Dictionary

Ghe-tto: adj. 1. description of black youth dressing and behaving in a manner that whites cannot relate to or understand 1a. describing a significant gathering of said youth
Lmao !!!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Most of my adult life has been spent in one or the other of these two cities. You know Dallas well, but you do not know Atlanta well at all, otherwise you would have listed more than Downton and Midtown Atlanta. There are comparable neighborhoods to Oak Lawn and Know-Henderson in Atlanta, but seems you have only been to Midtown.

I can't think of a more apples to apples comparison between two large cities in the US than Atlanta and Dallas.
Actually I lived in Atlanta twice as long as i've been in Dallas. I know both very well. There are other areas of Atlanta but I was just saying that it seems that people don't realize there's a lot more to Dallas than what people are discussing here. And I was making the point that Uptown Dallas to Midtown Atlanta is not apples to apples. Atlanta and Dallas have many similarities, but there are some noticeable differences between the two.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,515 times
I haven't been to Atlanta since 2000, so I know I'm quite behind and unfamiliar with what's been going on there, but Dallas has really been transforming itself into an urban monster. Some of the things that Dallas has been doing over the last decade has made itself the envy of most of its peer cities. So i wouldn't quite count it out yet.

Some people on here might feel that dt Dallas gives off that office park ambiance simply because Dallas doesn't have enough grit that makes it feel like a true urban city, but development wise, its moving in that direction. It may not be there yet, but give it another 10-15 years when those new established areas such as the Arts District, Deck Park, and the upcoming Trinity River project really start to come together.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:40 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee936 View Post
The buckhead area lol like farmland and no it doesn't compare to North Dallas lol!!!
1. farms aren't cover with 3-5 stories trees.

2. Atlanta is generally cover by trees,

3. Most of buckhead is large estate mansions, but I was taking about the CBD.

3. I never anything about north dallas I said uptown Dallas.

4. and No uptown Dallas is not as large as the Buckhead CBD.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:41 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,100,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nairobi View Post
city- data dictionary

ghe-tto: adj. 1. Description of black youth dressing and behaving in a manner that whites cannot relate to or understand 1a. Describing a significant gathering of said youth
lmao

Old 02-20-2013, 09:12 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,300,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
1. farms aren't cover with 3-5 stories trees.

2. Atlanta is generally cover by trees,

3. Most of buckhead is large estate mansions, but I was taking about the CBD.

3. I never anything about north dallas I said uptown Dallas.

4. and No uptown Dallas is not as large as the Buckhead CBD.
As I'm sure you are very aware, I just wanted to clarify for those who may not.
Driving up Peachtree in Atlanta, you go through downtown, Midtown then through Buckhead. These are three large areas all connected. There are other neighborhoods off of this path such as Virginia-Highland, Inman Park, etc.

In Dallas, You have a larger area that is considered "downtown" What you would consider our "Midtown" would be The Design District, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Knox-Henderson. What you would consider our "Buckhead" would be Highland Park, University Park and most certainly Preston Hollow. So that's why I was trying to make the point that you can't just say Uptown Dallas vs Midtown Atlanta because the areas of Atlanta are a lot larger and Dallas' neighborhoods are more fragmented with different identities within a small radius.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:55 PM

6,693 posts, read 9,942,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Oh and Atlanta has 5x the skyline as Dallas. Atlanta's skyline has architectural and height variety and feels more balanced. Dallas feels like it has height for the first half, then drops off considerably where uptown is...not balanced at all. The panorama of Midtown and Downtown from 17th Street is hard to beat for most cities in the U.S.
There's a height restriction.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:59 PM

6,723 posts, read 6,722,163 times
comparing walkable Dallas to walkable Atlanta is like asking whether the women in San Francisco are hotter than the woman in San Jose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City