Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
I've never really been impressed with Dallas's urban core to begin with. It's downtown is heavily lacking and feels more like an office park then a downtown area even in the core areas of the downtown. At least Atlanta feels like an urban CBD compared to an office park. Atlanta also has much more streetlife then Dallas at it's core....Dallas is actually a ghost town....Atlanta can sometimes make you feel like you're in a Northeast city on regular days.

West Village/Uptown is urban, but not exactly in a good way. It feels more like a Buckhead type urban then a Midtown/Downtown type urban. Lack pedestrians for the most part because it's just not connected to the CBD in a good way....the difference is that Atlanta has CBD's in both Downtown and Midtown and infill occurring between these 2 CBD's...very similar to the Manhattan layout....Dallas has just one major CBD and that's downtown.

I've always said that Atlanta feels more dense at it's core then Houston and Dallas. Other then Midtown Manhattan, Midtown Atlanta is the only other significant Midtown in the nation.

I figure Atlanta will have the better urban core in 20 years. It will more resemble the traditional urban core then the Buckhead/Ritzey type urban layout that has lawns and fountains for every building.
I laughed harder and harder with each comparison to Manhattan.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:53 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,858,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
How can anyone call Atlanta ghetto. You cant walk 3 steps without running into a Mercedes, and Audi, or BMW
But those Mercedes, Audis and BMWs have rims and "wheels".....ghetto. Having lived in both, Atlanta definitely leans toward ghetto.....Dallas leans toward genteel.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
But those Mercedes, Audis and BMWs have rims and "wheels".....ghetto. Having lived in both, Atlanta definitely leans toward ghetto.....Dallas leans toward genteel.
No, they put rims and wheels on their F150s and Silverados.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:06 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
I don't think either city can be blanketed with one term. Both have ghetto areas and both have trendy areas.

Dallas' trendy areas are pretty racially mixed, so if the OP is just trying to avoid minorities as was suggested above, I don't think he will be happy in either city.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,481 times
Quote:
Lol lies

Old 02-17-2013, 10:20 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
I think people are trying to compare the areas of Atlanta and Dallas as an apples to apples comparison and that can't be done as the cities have grown and developed in two different ways. Say what you want about Dallas, but it's core is compact and cohesive. Uptown Dallas is more compact and developed than what Midtown Atlanta currently is. Areas of Uptown Dallas look like Philly or DC in terms of zoning, etc. And Uptown has a lot more shopping, bar and restaurant action going on all over the neighborhood compared to Midtown Atlanta. Think of it in terms of multiple Crescent Avenues thoughout the neighborhood. Atlanta is filling in and has a lot going for it, but Midtown is not filled in at the same level of Uptown Dallas at this point. People also seem to forget that Uptown is not the only major urban neighborhood in Dallas. Oak Lawn and Knox-Henderson have a lot of density, restaurant and retail development. Dallas has highrises all over the area, seems like more than Atlanta. Atlanta just doesn't have the neighborhood height restrictions that Dallas has to deal with. This isn't a knock at all on Midtown Atlanta, but I'm just making the point that if I had to choose a neighborhood in the U.S. to compare to Uptown Dallas, it wouldn't be Midtown Atlanta.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:22 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
lol.. Atlanta isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be, but it is more gangsta than Dallas for sure.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:43 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,770,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
Basically.

The original poster is from Birmingham where the blacks are depressed, kept poor, separated and low key. It's the exact opposite of in Atlanta. Blacks in Atlanta are well represented everywhere, in all income brackets, in all professions, all cultures, most politics and in all aspects of social life and events in the city/metro of Atlanta.
Just stop!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:56 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,855,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I think people are trying to compare the areas of Atlanta and Dallas as an apples to apples comparison and that can't be done as the cities have grown and developed in two different ways. Say what you want about Dallas, but it's core is compact and cohesive. Uptown Dallas is more compact and developed than what Midtown Atlanta currently is. Areas of Uptown Dallas look like Philly or DC in terms of zoning, etc. And Uptown has a lot more shopping, bar and restaurant action going on all over the neighborhood compared to Midtown Atlanta. Think of it in terms of multiple Crescent Avenues thoughout the neighborhood. Atlanta is filling in and has a lot going for it, but Midtown is not filled in at the same level of Uptown Dallas at this point. People also seem to forget that Uptown is not the only major urban neighborhood in Dallas. Oak Lawn and Knox-Henderson have a lot of density, restaurant and retail development. Dallas has highrises all over the area, seems like more than Atlanta. Atlanta just doesn't have the neighborhood height restrictions that Dallas has to deal with. This isn't a knock at all on Midtown Atlanta, but I'm just making the point that if I had to choose a neighborhood in the U.S. to compare to Uptown Dallas, it wouldn't be Midtown Atlanta.
Most of my adult life has been spent in one or the other of these two cities. You know Dallas well, but you do not know Atlanta well at all, otherwise you would have listed more than Downton and Midtown Atlanta. There are comparable neighborhoods to Oak Lawn and Know-Henderson in Atlanta, but seems you have only been to Midtown.

I can't think of a more apples to apples comparison between two large cities in the US than Atlanta and Dallas.

Old 02-17-2013, 11:13 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
City- Data Dictionary

Ghe-tto: adj. 1. description of black youth dressing and behaving in a manner that whites cannot relate to or understand 1a. describing a significant gathering of said youth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City