Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city would you prefer to live in
Cincinatti 65 27.78%
Seattle 169 72.22%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 10:00 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Loney View Post
Cincy is way more uptight. The conservative triangle from Indy to Cincy to Louisville is the bastion of republican thought. Seattle is way more liberal, way more vibrant and a lot more fun.
What a child. Live and let live is the vibe that I've always felt Cincy gives off.....quite apart from the forced/fake/fascist politically correct crap of other cities.

Bill Loney, I hereby order you to go to the CORNER of the country and stay there! You are only allowed to visit the other corners of Miami Beach/Maine and San Diego.

Therefore you can spend your life in splendid Cornerness....always looking down on those simplistic rubes who somehow managed to make a life for themselves in the dreaded Middle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 AM

274 posts, read 705,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
What a child. Live and let live is the vibe that I've always felt Cincy gives off.....quite apart from the forced/fake/fascist politically correct crap of other cities.

Bill Loney, I hereby order you to go to the CORNER of the country and stay there! You are only allowed to visit the other corners of Miami Beach/Maine and San Diego.

Therefore you can spend your life in splendid Cornerness....always looking down on those simplistic rubes who somehow managed to make a life for themselves in the dreaded Middle.
Nothing wrong with living in the middle, but are you seriously trying to argue Cincinnati is more live and let live than the largest city in the least religious state, that is the only one to have legalized both marijuana and gay marriage?

Old 02-23-2013, 10:52 AM

2,801 posts, read 3,857,453 times
I love Cincinnati's architecture, especially in the Over-the-Rhine neighbourhood. Too bad OTR happens to be one of the worst neighbourhoods in the city - if not the country - and many of the buildings have fallen into disrepair or been demolished. Although I've heard there are preservation efforts going on, but that always tends to mean gentrification, which usually ends up displacing people. Even if gentrification can make a neighbourhood better, it tends to change everything - both good and bad, and neighbourhoods with character become pretty sterile as a more wealthy, homogenous population takes over. If Nati could preserve OTR, improve crime and other quality of life issues without completely changing the character of the neighbourhood, I'd be all for it because it really is a diamond in the rough. Too bad the neighbourhood and its architecture isn't on a larger scale - say five times the size it is now. That would give Nati one of the most unique and beautiful urban landscapes in America. As it is it's just too small and crime-ridden to overwhelm Seattle's many charms. As a matter of fact, two or three years ago, OTR was rated the most dangerous neighbourhood in America, in terms of homicide and other violent crimes on a per capita basis.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Nothing wrong with living in the middle, but are you seriously trying to argue Cincinnati is more live and let live than the largest city in the least religious state, that is the only one to have legalized both marijuana and gay marriage?
politics and culture are two different things....

I once met an older gay couple (in 80's Chicago) who told me Cincinnati was a great place to live (in the 60's-80's), more of a don't ask/don't tell environment, but absolutely no prejudice/oppression. They were fully accepted/included in Cincinnati society. These issues are by no means black and white.

Cincy really does have a rather unique culture, which simplistic coastal types tended to lop into the "Bible Belt". Yes it is a free-market 'Republican" type place, but in Cincinnati, the Republicanism has always been more of the free market libertarian variety, and less of the bible-thumping many east and west coast people seem to think.

That might be why its economy is doing so well these days.

Old 02-23-2013, 11:58 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboyd1 View Post
Neither Seattle's impressive size nor its liberal status were ever at question, but neither should Cincinnati's lesser size and less liberal status be held against it.

Only of late, has it become "non-PC," unfashionable, and quaint to dare suggest that a city can be either good or great w/o the addition of drugs and alternate ("deviant"?) lifestyles. So, jaboyd1, let's face reality--Seattle IS a good city, but not because it's a 21st-century Sodom and Gomorrah while Cincinnati ISN'T a bad city because it isn't.

These two cities shouldn't be compared at all for the reasons they have been--simply because neither is wishing to be the other. Their histories are so different that they might as well be in separate countries, their terrains are so different that they might as well be on separate continents, and their racial mixes are so different that they might as well be on separate planets. Nevertheless, their common urbanity isn't all that far apart and, for that reason alone, Seattle and Cincinnati can learn and appreciate a great deal by paying attention to one another.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:53 PM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post

Get out more. Really. There is a wonderful world out there.

Old 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Get out more. Really. There is a wonderful world out there.
No you get out more Bill your the main one on this thread acting ignorant.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:06 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
Well, taking into account the results of the poll, anecdotal as it may be, I'd say it's rather obvious most don't agree.

As to the attitude of the city itself, I would agree they couldn't be more different. Cincy is way more uptight. The conservative triangle from Indy to Cincy to Louisville is the bastion of republican thought. Seattle is way more liberal, way more vibrant and a lot more fun.
And what percentage of those poll voters have even been to Cincinnati? Or Seattle for that matter. Really, the results are worthless. People see the poll and the knee-jerk reaction is to vote for the larger coastal city. But come to Cincinnati and check out the city for yourselves. If more of the Seattle voters did that, this would be considerably closer.

Cincinnati is one of the most underrated cities there is. It's charming in an old-world ways that you don't find in a lot of American cities. And its underground tour absolutely obliterates Seattle's underground tour in every conceivable way other than hype (I did both tours in 2012).

And the city that elected Jerry Springer as mayor, voted solidly for Obama twice and has openly gay city council reps is "bastion of republican thought"? OK then.

Last edited by abr7rmj; 02-23-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
No you get out more Bill your the main one on this thread acting ignorant.
Generally speaking Cali, if you plan to insult someone's intelligence, it's an excellent idea to so with proper grammar. Otherwise you might look foolish in the process.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
And what percentage of those poll voters have even been to Cincinnati? Or Seattle for that matter. Really, the results are worthless. People see the poll and the knee-jerk reaction is to vote for the larger coastal city. But come to Cincinnati and check out the city for yourselves. If more of the Seattle voters did that, this would be considerably closer.

Cincinnati is one of the most underrated cities there is.
I have spent way more time in Cincy than should be legal, as well as numerous other cities in the area.

It's also possible that the poll is skewed simply because many more folks have been to Cincy. Imagine that? I mean isn't one of the arguments presented here the fact that so many people are closer to Cincy?

Every great city in the US is quite liberal. That is of course my opinion. But when I run down the list of my own favorites, it's pretty clear to me that's the case. Cincy isn't on my list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City