Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city will get an IKEA first?
Indianapolis, IN 44 45.36%
Raleigh, NC 40 41.24%
Greensboro, NC 1 1.03%
Hampton Roads, VA 12 12.37%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 06:08 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Who's debating? I am pointing out specifics, such as:
You are and your debating on rather or not this or that, this will stop now. Cincinnati has one and Cleveland doesnt Ikea choosed Cincy for many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2013, 06:10 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Not true i honestly dont feel like debating about nothing.
Dude, he's not debating anyone. All I've seen him do is provide facts and do simple math.

From what I can tell:

NE Ohio is 4.5 million
SW Ohio (plus N Kentucky plus SE Indiana?) is 3.2 million

Yes, both could independently support an IKEA, but I can see some parts of eastern ohio would simply head to Pittsburgh.

It does seem interesting Cleveland has received the snub by IKEA -- it's gotta be the largest CSA (2.9 million with Cleveland-Akron only) to not have an IKEA in the whole US.

Old 03-01-2013, 06:22 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
Dude, he's not debating anyone. All I've seen him do is provide facts and do simple math.

From what I can tell:

NE Ohio is 4.5 million
SW Ohio (plus N Kentucky plus SE Indiana?) is 3.2 million

Yes, both could independently support an IKEA, but I can see some parts of eastern ohio would simply head to Pittsburgh.

It does seem interesting Cleveland has received the snub by IKEA -- it's gotta be the largest CSA (2.9 million with Cleveland-Akron only) to not have an IKEA in the whole US.
Thankyou

Old 03-01-2013, 06:58 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Quote:
Who said anything about having 5 Ikeas? Where are you getting that number from? It doesn't matter if Cincinnati has one or not, Cleveland and NE Ohio could easily support one, and Pittsburgh's Ikea is much closer than Cincinnati's. Cleveland has the 5 million mark in NE Ohio, Ikea looks around for a range of cities in one area. Adelaide, South Australia has one and it is in a state of 1.6 million and most of it is Outback nothingness. North Carolina has two markets that could support one in Raleigh and Charlotte, meanwhile, Ohio has Cleveland and Cincinnati on opposite ends of the state with another metro of over 2 million in the middle.

FWIW, I voted for Raleigh.
The point of Ohio having 11.5 million people was brought up. IKEA needs 2M people within a 40-60 radius. 2 goes into 11.5 five times. Was meant to be taken as more of a sarcastic statement.

A state's population does not decide whether or not it can support a second IKEA. Georgia has 10M and one IKEA. Miami is just building their first despite the Sunrise store being only 31 miles away.

No one is saying Cleveland couldn't support an IKEA. But the chances of a second Ohio store opening anywhere in the state is very unlikely in the near future.

South Africa's criteria for a store and the United States criteria for a store are not the same.

North Carolina, give or take has 3 metros that could "support" an IKEA. Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro (hence Greensboro being on the poll.)

Charlotte and Raleigh are on opposite sides of the state with a metro of 1.6 million in the middle.

People in Greensboro want an IKEA. People in Raleigh want an IKEA. Which will get one first? Almost 100% sure Raleigh.

No Ohio cities were on the poll, so I'm not sure why it's being discussed.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:14 PM

1,795 posts, read 3,165,810 times
I say Indianapolis could support an Ikea, there metro is on par with other cities that have Ikea like Austin, Charlotte, & Salt Lake City.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:18 PM

416 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
You are and your debating on rather or not this or that, this will stop now. Cincinnati has one and Cleveland doesnt Ikea choosed Cincy for many reasons.
"This will stop now." What will stop? Nothing even started.

If anyone is debating it would be you. All my posts were just reality, if you can't handle that then go somewhere else. I know Ikea picked Cincinnati, I think I have made that point very clear. I said Cleveland's market could easily support one. I have posted clear points and you want to say I am trying to debate? Really? Go back and read your posts and read mine and tell me how I am debating? I was just sticking to the topic of Ikea. I even said that Cincinnati is a perfect market for Ikea, but now you're just trying to make a point that isn't even there. Did I mention that I said Cincinnati's West Chester Ikea is a good market to be in? Didn't know if I would have to continue to repeat myself.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:26 PM

416 posts, read 700,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
The point of Ohio having 11.5 million people was brought up. IKEA needs 2M people within a 40-60 radius. 2 goes into 11.5 five times. Was meant to be taken as more of a sarcastic statement.

A state's population does not decide whether or not it can support a second IKEA. Georgia has 10M and one IKEA. Miami is just building their first despite the Sunrise store being only 31 miles away.

No one is saying Cleveland couldn't support an IKEA. But the chances of a second Ohio store opening anywhere in the state is very unlikely in the near future.

South Africa's criteria for a store and the United States criteria for a store are not the same.

North Carolina, give or take has 3 metros that could "support" an IKEA. Charlotte, Raleigh and Greensboro (hence Greensboro being on the poll.)

Charlotte and Raleigh are on opposite sides of the state with a metro of 1.6 million in the middle.

People in Greensboro want an IKEA. People in Raleigh want an IKEA. Which will get one first? Almost 100% sure Raleigh.

No Ohio cities were on the poll, so I'm not sure why it's being discussed.
Do you know Ikea's international policies work? I didn't know Ikea reached the South African market, I know they have entered Australia's. If Ohio isn't likely to get an Ikea in the near future, there certainly is no market in Raleigh and especially Greensboro. If that's the case bring one to Columbus and build one in Akron which is equivalent to Greensboro. So if North Carolina has "three metros that can support" an Ikea, Ohio has 3 with over 2 million that can.

No cities from Ohio were in the poll, but one poster mentioned Cleveland, and you made it seem like saying Cleveland was like saying Bucharest was getting Ikea. I have even stated out of the cities in the poll that Raleigh seems like the most practical choice because of where Ikea is based around the other cities and the other poll cities being smaller markets. I am not the biggest fan of Ikea anyway, but they do have some good stuff.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:29 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,903,421 times
Houston,Los Angeles,Denver, oooooooops they already have one lol lol lol

Old 03-01-2013, 07:45 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,678,886 times
Quote:
If Ohio isn't likely to get an Ikea in the near future, there certainly is no market in Raleigh and especially Greensboro. If that's the case bring one to Columbus and build one in Akron which is equivalent to Greensboro. So if North Carolina has "three metros that can support" an Ikea, Ohio has 3 with over 2 million that can.
First of all, you are comparing an entire state to metro areas.

Second, Arkon and Greensboro are in no way on the same level.

My statement about Greensboro was in relevance to Indianapolis. If Indianapolis can support an IKEA, Greensboro can as well.

Quote:
No cities from Ohio were in the poll, but one poster mentioned Cleveland, and you made it seem like saying Cleveland was like saying Bucharest was getting Ikea. I have even stated out of the cities in the poll that Raleigh seems like the most practical choice because of where Ikea is based around the other cities and the other poll cities being smaller markets. I am not the biggest fan of Ikea anyway, but they do have some good stuff.
Assuming I know what Bucharest is still would not have anything to do with what the topic of the thread is about. If you aren't familiar with the rules, you're suppose to stay on topic.

If you're in favor of Raleigh, why are you getting butthurt over things being said about Cleveland?

Old 03-01-2013, 08:08 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
Why those metros only? You're missing at least New Orleans, St. Louis, Cleveland, and Kansas City,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City