Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:13 PM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Nairobi
You'd have hit the nail even more squarely on the head about Taco Cabana if you'd have thrown in a mention about the "ick" factor.
Seriously though, I don't know how they have remained in business for so long unless there is no accounting for taste.
Yes, Im really embarrassed to see that put out there as a Tex-Mex restaurant in Atlanta. I know NO ONE in this city that considers that quality Tex-Mex, BTW. It is rather popular with hustlers taking a break on Cheshire Bridge Road, though.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I just have to say something: this pic just reminds me of how many times I laughed at the idea that so many Atlantans thought Taco Cabana was quality Tex-Mex.

Love you guys
Can't say that I've eaten Tex-Mex that I'm aware of, and Taco Cabana was never my cup of tea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm sure Houston has more palms per capita than New Orleans.
That's probably true, but I was speaking squarely in reference to major palm lined boulevards. New Orleans has several; one of which bisects the heart of the city center. Canal Street, and the adjacent FQ, defines New Orleans for me in many ways. When thinking of that city, the FQ, the trolleys moving along palm lined Canal Street, and above ground cemeteries immediately come to mind. Houston? No. I just don't think of palms first, second, or even third quite honestly.

If Houston had a palm lined Peachtree Street of sorts, then I imagine I'd be more inclined to associate that city with palms.

Quote:
Nairobi
You'd have hit the nail even more squarely on the head about Taco Cabana if you'd have thrown in a mention about the "ick" factor.
Seriously though, I don't know how they have remained in business for so long unless there is no accounting for taste.
Location Location Location. It's at the corner of Cheshire Bridge (Adult Entertainment) and Piedmont (LGBT nightlife). In the 90's, gays would leave the clubs at 4-5 AM and descend on the place. The entire patio, and adjacent parking lot would be crawling with people, every single weekend.

Not so much now though, as there are many more 24 hour options available than there were at that time, but TC seems to keep chugging right along.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:32 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
There is absolutely no comparison between the amount of vegetation or tree cover in the 2 metros.
You see, THESE are the types of statements that I have a problem with, and you're basically doing the same thing that Matt is doing.

Obviously, the two cities are comparable, or else we wouldn't have spent the last few pages discussing the same subject. It's one thing to point out that Atlanta is more lush, which it is, but to act like Houston doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence is simply unfounded.

Both Houston and Atlanta are above average, when it comes to being lush. Everyone should be able to agree on that much.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
At 4:32 pm EDT, the current temps as noted at the Weather Channel online are:
Houston 100 degrees.
Atlanta 79 degrees.
And somebody continues to bake in the extended 10 day forecast.
Ahhh.....

Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Yes, Im really embarrassed to see that put out there as a Tex-Mex restaurant in Atlanta. I know NO ONE in this city that considers that quality Tex-Mex, BTW. It is rather popular with hustlers taking a break on Cheshire Bridge Road, though.
Well, to be fair, Taco Cabana still gets plenty of business in Texas, so we obviously have our own population of folks who don't mind eating sub-par Tex-Mex.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM

798 posts, read 1,033,742 times
Quote:
Houston 100 degrees.
Atlanta 79 degrees.
Ahhh.....
It's also raining in ATL right now, and kinda has for the past weekend. I would be scared with all the tornado warnings, but after growing up in Texas, they don't even faze me haha.

Source: I'm in Alpharetta right now.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post

That's probably true, but I was speaking squarely in reference to major palm lined boulevards. New Orleans has several; one of which bisects the heart of the city center. Canal Street, and the adjacent FQ, defines New Orleans for me in many ways. When thinking of that city, the FQ, the trolleys moving along palm lined Canal Street, and above ground cemeteries immediately come to mind. Houston? No. I just don't think of palms first, second, or even third quite honestly.

If Houston had a palm lined Peachtree Street of sorts, then I imagine I'd be more inclined to associate that city with palms.
Well, Houston is not the tourist city that New Orleans, Miami, or Los Angeles are, so none of our streets are going to popular.

As for us not having any palm-lined roads: false. Westheimer Road is the most infamous of these.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/...578a1a445e.jpg

With that said, while Houston does have many palms, live oaks are the preferred street tree in this town, and at maturity they provide a mystical canopy that can be witnessed in many of our oldest neighborhoods.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:50 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Density & traffic in both metros areas is almost identical even with Atlanta having extensive rail & being the much, much smaller city/metro.

Houston feels & looks like a Texas size version of Los Angeles while Atlanta feels & looks more like a larger version of Charlotte.
No the density isn't the same. Houston has about 1200 more people per square mile when looking at the urban areas. Atlanta definitely spreads out more. Traffic is worse in the ATL too because of the road layout. Atlanta looks more aesthetically pleasing than Houston, but on the flip side, it has a ****ty road system. Can't go wrong with either for a family (is that what this thread is still about?).

Old 06-17-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Houston 100 degrees.
Atlanta 79 degrees.
Ahhh.....
Houston is 10-degrees above average today, while Atlanta simply has a storm system in the area. Everyone else might be dumb enough to fall for cherry-picked information, but I'm certainly not. You'd have to be a fool to believe that the two cities commonly see a 20+ degree difference in temps.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:53 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,695,049 times
I guess Nairobi it's all a matter of perspective.
After living in the midst of the Atlanta foliage coverage for so long, and flying in and out of Atlanta & Houston with great birds eye views so many times, the differences are just very stark to me.
I specifically remember visiting a friend in Houston who lived closein just off of Westheimer. He made a geographic in-town neighborhood comparison statement & said that the area looked like very similar to Atlanta's Midtown.
I didn't understand his rationale at that time & I still don't given the dearth of trees all along his street. As that was my first visit, my thought was that it was just me & that I was missing something that he could see. LOL!
Certainly the very toney River Oaks area had shade but I noticed a lack of general cover in the city parks & even along the bayous.
Generally in the eastern third of the U.S., there is an underlying or surrounding forest present or very close by. Even in the case of New York City, you don't need to go very far upstream before you are encounter the lush & thick forests & covered bluffs, as in along the Hudson.
Given that green prevalence in the east & in the southeast, I doubt that Houston would rank as above average in the "lush" factor as you seem to categorize it.
The absolute pancake flatness of the land there does not help the cause of Houston as being an attractive city either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City