Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,949,325 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't say the Houston area is as flat as a pancake either. Miami would be a place that is, but not Houston. Obviously nothing compared to what you get in Atlanta, or even DFW. As for the tree coverage, there is plenty from just south of I10 on north. They clear cut developments in Atlanta just like in Houston. Developers are cheap. There are plenty of areas in Houston where there were no trees, bit development brought them in.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,332,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I guess Nairobi it's all a matter of perspective.
After living in the midst of the Atlanta foliage coverage for so long, and flying in and out of Atlanta & Houston with great birds eye views so many times, the differences are just very stark to me.
I specifically remember visiting a friend in Houston who lived closein just off of Westheimer. He made a geographic in-town neighborhood comparison statement & said that the area looked like very similar to Atlanta's Midtown.
I didn't understand his rationale at that time & I still don't given the dearth of trees all along his street. As that was my first visit, my thought was that it was just me & that I was missing something that he could see. LOL!
Certainly the very toney River Oaks area had shade but I noticed a lack of general cover in the city parks & even along the bayous.
Generally in the eastern third of the U.S., there is an underlying or surrounding forest present or very close by. Even in the case of New York City, you don't need to go very far upstream before you are encounter the lush & thick forests & covered bluffs, as in along the Hudson.
Given that green prevalence in the east & in the southeast, I doubt that Houston would rank as above average in the "lush" factor as you seem to categorize it.
The absolute pancake flatness of the land there does not help the cause of Houston as being an attractive city either.
At this point, I don't think there's any getting through to you, because I honestly doubt you've even been to Houston. Everyone has their opinions about the city, but the lack of tree coverage certainly isn't one of them.
You don't come off as very well traveled, if you honestly think that the entire "eastern third" of the country is covered in trees. I suggest you visit some of the Atlantic Coastal Plain or even go on down to Florida. You'd be surprised at just how much they look like Houston.

Google Maps

Google Maps

Google Maps

And last I checked, the nation consisted of more than just the East Coast. There's also countless Midwest, Southwest, and West Coast cities that Houston is more lush than. So, yes, based on my travels, I would categorize the city as being above average, when it comes to greenery. You don't have to agree, but I'm sure I've presented a more convincing argument than you.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM

1,885 posts, read 3,400,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Well, Houston is not the tourist city that New Orleans, Miami, or Los Angeles are, so none of our streets are going to popular.

As for us not having any palm-lined roads: false. Westheimer Road is the most infamous of these.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1036/...578a1a445e.jpg

With that said, while Houston does have many palms, live oaks are the preferred street tree in this town, and at maturity they provide a mystical canopy that can be witnessed in many of our oldest neighborhoods.
I didn't say that Houston has no palm lined roads. What I did say, is that the palms *I* observed in Houston, were scattered and patchy. None of which lined a major thoroughfare through the heart of the city. That to me, is the difference between cities that I associate with palms, and those that I do not.

When Los Angeles is shown as a television setting, it is most commonly represented by the Hollywood sign framed by palms at street level, or palm lined Rodeo Dr. or the LA skyline with palms in the foreground etc. When Miami is shown, its almost always Ocean Dr. or Collins Ave. in Miami Beach overrun with palms. When New Orleans is shown, it's either going to be the FQ, or Canal St. lined with palms. I honestly had no idea that Houston was a palm city until I visited for the first time, since it isn't marketed as such.

When Houston is shown on television, the most common image is that of downtown from around Buffalo Bayou with no palms in sight!

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/9/1328...3ceec239_z.jpg

Or this angle, which I've seen more often than not.

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4085/5...97cb3df1_z.jpg

Old 06-17-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionado View Post
I didn't say that Houston has no palm lined roads. What I did say, is that the palms *I* observed in Houston, were scattered and patchy. None of which lined a major thoroughfare through the heart of the city. That to me, is the difference between cities that I associate with palms, and those that I do not.

When Los Angeles is shown as a television setting, it is most commonly represented by the Hollywood sign framed by palms at street level, or palm lined Rodeo Dr. or the LA skyline with palms in the foreground etc. When Miami is shown, its almost always Ocean Dr. or Collins Ave. in Miami Beach overrun with palms. When New Orleans is shown, it's either going to be the FQ, or Canal St. lined with palms. I honestly had no idea that Houston was a palm city until I visited for the first time, since it isn't marketed as such.

When Houston is shown on television, the most common image is that of downtown from around Buffalo Bayou with no palms in sight!
Point taken, but I'm not seeing how any of this negates the other poster's point, which was that Houston simply had a lot of palms. I didn't see him claim that they were as tied to the city's image as they are Miami and Los Angeles.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Point taken, but I'm not seeing how any of this negates the other poster's point, which was that Houston simply had a lot of palms. I didn't see him claim that they were as tied to the city's image as they are Miami and Los Angeles.
He said they were "all over the place" and that "you literally can't go anywhere in Houston without seeing palm trees, every front yard, and every place of business has them," to which I vehemently disagree.

My point is, yes, there are plenty of palms there... but stop acting as if you're going to black out, then wake up dressed like Don Johnson, or Phillip Michael Thomas while you're there!

Old 06-17-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
He said they were "all over the place" and that "you literally can't go anywhere in Houston without seeing palm trees, every front yard, and every place of business has them," to which I vehemently disagree.

My point is, yes, there are plenty of palms there... but stop acting as if you're going to black out, then wake up dressed like Don Johnson, or Phillip Michael Thomas while you're there!
I already called Matt out for claiming they were in every yard and in front of every business, but "all over the place" is a vague statement, and many could describe Houston that way. They are very numerous and can be found in each area of town.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
At 4:32 pm EDT, the current temps as noted at the Weather Channel online are:
Houston 100 degrees.
Atlanta 79 degrees.
And somebody continues to bake in the extended 10 day forecast.
Ahhh.....
Summer hasn't quite hit ATL yet, just wait. They are always later than Texas. Even the trees bloom months later.

This is Houston's first 100 degree day for the year.

BTW the high in ATL today was 82 not 79.

Just sayin'

Old 06-17-2013, 04:38 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,983,112 times
Quote:

Houston is the largest palm producer/importer between Florida & California.

Looking in Houston's Yellowpages there are literally hundreds of places specialized in selling, growing, & installing palm trees.

Next please...

http://www.coasttocoastpalms.com/

http://palmtreesofhouston.com/

http://www.texaspalms.com/

http://www.bigtextrees.com/palm-trees.html

http://houstongardencenters.com/whattoplant.php?idCat=8

http://www.verdanttreefarm.com/

http://169sod.com/palm_pick_up_and_installation

http://www.datepalm.co/more-palms.html

This last place has been providing palm trees in Houston for over 3 generations!!!

http://palmprofessionalstropicalnursery.com/

Typical neighborhood street in Houston:

Typical strip center in Houston:

Typical apartment complex in Houston:

Typical home in the inner loop:

Palm lined boulevards of Houston:

Downtown Houston:

Freeway palms being trimmed up:

Christmas in Houston is always interesting:

Last edited by Metro Matt; 06-17-2013 at 05:21 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 05:50 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
That last place is in Atlanta.By the way Palm trees can and do grow in Atlanta.

Inspired Life & Home: Mediterranean Influence in Georgia

Old 06-17-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
That last place is in Atlanta.
They're all in Atlanta. The first is in Buckhead, the second is Milton Terrace in SE Atlanta, and the third is on Piedmont.
Quote:
By the way Palm trees can and do grow in Atlanta.

Inspired Life & Home: Mediterranean Influence in Georgia
Of course I'm aware of that, I see them from time to time. There's a stretch along Piedmont in Buckhead that is lined with palms. There's also a side street off Hwy 54 in Riverdale that is surprisingly lined with tall, healthy (looking) palms, but I couldn't find any images of them. I notice them most often in upscale type neighborhoods though.

They aren't that difficult to find if you're actually looking for them... the frostbitten comment was said in jest hun.

Last edited by NorthDeKalb; 06-17-2013 at 06:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City