Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 06:52 PM

209 posts, read 462,227 times

Advertisements

America's Fastest- and Slowest-Growing Cities - Forbes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,908 times
I freaking HATE slide shows. I wish sites would give charts instead.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,054,426 times
Surprised by Chicago, New York, and Pittsburg

I'm also wondering where Baltimore places in this...

And it's good to see that Detroit is (apparently) not losing people anymore as of 2011....

I thought Milwaukee's picture was pretty nice.

Last edited by Boston Shudra; 03-19-2013 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-19-2013, 07:58 PM

654 posts, read 1,910,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

I thought Milwaukee's picture was pretty nice.
I was surprised by Pittsburgh too. I thought I had heard they had finally turned the corner and were gaining people again. It's such a beautiful area.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:06 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,197,619 times
I MAY have spotted a point to a Forbes article!!!

The author mentioned that "hip" cities tend to be places where costs are too high to justify the growth that is being exhibited in Sun Belt cities, which are dirt cheap by comparison (in general). To me, this makes total sense.....a "cool" or "hip" city is going to be a place where people are so excited to live in that they'll pay much more money to live there than any other place. So even though growth in said cities are slower or not phenomenal, I think it speaks to the point that mature cities are generally more trendy than those with room to grow (and hence, growth occurs until price points meet quality of living).

IOW, it makes sense to me that a "cool" city would be more expensive and more exclusive than a fast-growing one. Growth does not and should not equate to "coolness", in this sense.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM

411 posts, read 720,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marat View Post
I freaking HATE slide shows. I wish sites would give charts instead.
the point of slideshows is to show as many ads as possible and retain readers longer--they obviously don't do it cuz it's an appealing format

it gets really annoying when they do this slideshow format for 50+ entries

Old 03-19-2013, 08:45 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I MAY have spotted a point to a Forbes article!!!

The author mentioned that "hip" cities tend to be places where costs are too high to justify the growth that is being exhibited in Sun Belt cities, which are dirt cheap by comparison (in general). To me, this makes total sense.....a "cool" or "hip" city is going to be a place where people are so excited to live in that they'll pay much more money to live there than any other place. So even though growth in said cities are slower or not phenomenal, I think it speaks to the point that mature cities are generally more trendy than those with room to grow (and hence, growth occurs until price points meet quality of living).

IOW, it makes sense to me that a "cool" city would be more expensive and more exclusive than a fast-growing one. Growth does not and should not equate to "coolness", in this sense.
Hip and cool cities are subjective.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:09 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,604,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post

And it's good to see that Detroit is (apparently) not losing people anymore as of 2011....
I'm surprised by Chicago and New York as well. Well, more so Chicago than New York. Seems like the big cities just sort of slowed in growth.

For Detroit, Wayne County still lost like 9,000 residents but the other counties, mostly Oakland and Macomb, gained 15,000 collectively. So there was a net growth of around 4,000 residents. This is pretty similar to pre-recession patterns since there's always been a balance of growing suburbs with the shrinking city center. If the city of Detroit were actually growing, the numbers would definitely be higher than 0.1%.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:00 AM

4,574 posts, read 7,503,609 times
LOL @ Forbes

Old 03-20-2013, 02:01 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,505,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nature's message View Post
LOL @ Forbes
Forbes has really had some odd stuff these past couple of years. Not referring specifically to this or the rankings they have actual data on, but some of the other ones are just baffling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City