Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better for urban living?
Cincinnati 49 44.14%
St. Louis 62 55.86%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 02:50 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,212,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
according to forbes. fail. what's that 62% number for anyway? workforce population? investment? revenues? residential population? not denying it, just wondering what it actually means.
Population
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2013, 03:08 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn10am View Post
That's great for Cincy and I'm glad that's happening but don't use your successes to put St. Louis down, which has also been in the midst of an urban renaissance for about a decade. Our downtown has also been posting solid population growth and is getting better by the day. The resurgence of both of these cities is not mutually exclusive.
I'm not putting anyone, or anything down. You STL boosters seem a little sensitive to me.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:22 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
That's great for Cincy and I'm glad that's happening but don't use your successes to put St. Louis down, which has also been in the midst of an urban renaissance for about a decade. Our downtown has also been posting solid population growth and is getting better by the day. The resurgence of both of these cities is not mutually exclusive.
No one in their right mind (especially someone from Cincinnati) would be audacious or foolish enough to blatantly diss St. Louis. Oh-h-h, if I were only much younger and had more money, I'd tour every square foot of your city--a very impressive place indeed.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
Yeah we couldve have had a huge subway system but construction stopped.
Yea, it sure did. It's also partially why I think St. Louis has a good argument for being better for urban living since its system can connect you to multiple urban parts.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:34 AM

2,545 posts, read 3,295,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, it sure did. It's also partially why I think St. Louis has a good argument for being better for urban living since its system can connect you to multiple urban parts.
For all the talk about the MetroLink, the whole system barely cracks 50k riders a day. Even Miami's much maligned (and little used) Metrorail has a higher ridership. I guess it's better to have it than not have it, but the numbers suggest that most people prefer the good old car.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slengel View Post
you say that as if st. louis can't say the same thing. just because forbes left us off their arbitrary list doesn't mean there isn't a huge urban renaissance taking place in st. louis as well. in fact, i think every single major american city can claim to be undergoing an urban resurgence.
No, actually, you are reading your insecurities into what I said. I just simply stated, in plain English:

Quote:
No one said that. I think the Cincy boosters are excited because Cincinnati has been in the midst of a decade long transformation that has turned out a very vibrant urban core. There is mass development uptown as well, so in short, we are seeing a sustained development boom. Apparently, that seems to strike a nerve or two with the STL crowd.
Period. No hidden intent to attack Saint Louis. Bruh...you really need to get over your STL problems. If your city is so great then why do you spend your time trying to convince everyone? You sound like you have some MAJOR issues. Maybe try a shrink?

Old 04-14-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzrovian View Post
For all the talk about the MetroLink, the whole system barely cracks 50k riders a day. Even Miami's much maligned (and little used) Metrorail has a higher ridership. I guess it's better to have it than not have it, but the numbers suggest that most people prefer the good old car.
Sssh. The St Lou crowd thinks it's a real subway system that's jam packed with strap hangers...

Old 04-14-2013, 09:46 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
^ HAHAHA! (But aren't you being just a bit overly-PC here?)

Old 04-14-2013, 11:58 AM

1,221 posts, read 2,747,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Sssh. The St Lou crowd thinks it's a real subway system that's jam packed with strap hangers...
I guess you've never seen it at rush hour or during sporting events. I actually have had to be a straphanger on there quite a bit. Even if it is generally underused, I'd still rather have an underused metro system than none at all.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I guess you've never seen it at rush hour or during sporting events. I actually have had to be a straphanger on there quite a bit. Even if it is generally underused, I'd still rather have an underused metro system than none at all.
Where do you think I got the pic from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City