Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite choice in this match up?
Atlanta 82 35.65%
Denver 55 23.91%
Seattle 93 40.43%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:41 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not sure what you're talking about. I'm not trying to "guilt trip" you and I definitely don't want your pity; I'm merely stating facts. I mean it is what it is and I'm not having any type of visceral reaction towards it. I know it's hard to discern tone over a message board but I wasn't being militant or anything when I said that. I mean anyone with a basic understanding of the history of the US knows what I said to be true. I'm not casting individual blame, but merely describing the way the system and structure is set up in this country and has been since it was first founded. I mean it's just a fact. *shrugs*
Thats why he likes Seattle.Blacks did not "make" him feel guilty in Atlanta.He felt guilty because that is him.
So preposterous that he would blame blacks in Atlanta for him feeling inadequate or inferior yet he cannot see how some blacks feel when being a minority in certain places.Oh the irony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:34 PM

2,079 posts, read 6,113,125 times
While I voted for Denver,

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleis View Post
For anyone who like me is more interested in pictures of what's currently being built. Check out: Seattle Aerial Photography. This has some aerial pictures from a few a days ago. About half way through the sequence you can see around South Lake Union where the constructions projects are most dense and there can be 10 cranes in a frame.
Nuff said. Absolutely amazing...last time I was in Seattle was in September of 2012. I need to get back!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
While I voted for Denver,

Nuff said. Absolutely amazing...last time I was in Seattle was in September of 2012. I need to get back!!!
I had time to chill ou and like to retract some of my sentiments.

Atlanta has constantly amazed me as a city.It has done the best with what it has to offer and surpassed its peer cities in the region.
It is a city that has had to fight to be different from what was the norm in the region.

Blacks and whites have worked hard to mak this city work to where it is a highly desirable place to live for EVERYBODY.Is it Seattle or Denver?No.Those cit have not been through the rough events that have formed this country into what it is today like Atlanta has.In that regard these cities are just different animals with different histories.The struggle is what makes Atlanta unique.

I don't expect you to understand but you could respect the fact that Atlanta is an ever evolving city that is constantly getting better.You may not see it but the thousands of people moving here each year from all walks of life do.

It is an insult to every Atlanta that loves this city and care for the progress and hopes for the future to say to make some of the wide generalizations you have made that have very little merit based in fact.

While I stand by my remarks about how I feel Atlanta is just as friendly to all people as any city,I will say that simply,every place is not the best fit for everybody.

With that said I wish you happiness and a prosperous life in whatever location you choose to inhabit.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM

37,877 posts, read 41,910,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
But read all of my points carefully.

I feel the analogy breaks down for opposite reasons.

Largely that many gay people start off by themselves with limited means of support. That is no small issue.
Very true, but race can still confer a social advantage. There are studies out there that demonstrate that White ex-cons can be favored for jobs over Blacks with no criminal records. Or course I'm not comparing gays to ex-cons, but in many cases there's a correlation in terms of the support system one has (little to none). And if you're gay and also a minority, then you can experience multiple whammies having no personal support sysyem and also having to face systematic discrimination on the basis of race/ethnicity.

Quote:
I also think it is unfair to assume that all gay people can hide their sexuality, despite the fact they shouldn't have to.
I don't assume this and I certainly don't mean to give that impression.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:50 PM

854 posts, read 1,140,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
So he's against Southern cities, but but by being racist, he's actually symbolic of what he thinks the South represents. How funny.
I am a caucasian adult male, so I experience very little racism within the U.S. I do however have the advantage of hearing first hand some of the nonsense that comes out of white peoples mouths that other minorities don't get to hear. This is the reaction I have gotten from a lot of people in the Washington State area. They are against the south in general because we are the ultimate scapegoat for racism and obesity but they themselves are racist and usually a tad bit obese. That part of the country is mostly white people living in log cabins clenching their rifles talking about how much they hate Obama. Of course hating the President doesn't necessarily make you racist, but calling him names does. Trust me I have seen just as many Confederate battle flags in rural Washington as anywhere in the U.S. There is also some serious tension between hispanics and caucasians in Washington state. Hispanics have generally been segregated to living in lower income areas. It is most heavily seen in agricultural areas. There are towns in Washington in which the entire population is almost hispanic. Some towns have a mix of Native Americans, Hispanics and a few whites. You certainly do see tensions developing as we speak. Just look up Yakima, Wa. to see how things are developing. A lot of people in the north have some serious misconceptions about modern day southern culture. I am not saying that there isn't still a lot of racism in the south, there is. I am only saying that it is just as bad in the Pacific Northwest. There are some seriously nutty white supremacist groups in Washington and Idaho.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-05-2014 at 06:14 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skihikeclimb View Post
That seems silly. It is akin to asking why Canada have more black people. How come New York City has so few Eskimos?

Simply comes down to history, location, types of jobs, and geography. Seattle is pretty far out of the way for most African Americans living in the United States with roots mostly on the east coast and south. The major draw to the Seattle area for most African Amerians was probably the military post WW2. Other than that, there was not much else.

The Seattle area is more likely to draw from Asian countries.

So is L.A. ,Oakland, and many other cities.
Im not suggesting its number be larger than say Atlanta or even Houston BUT there should be an increase of significant difference like there is in Dallas,Houston or many other cities.

Im mean Asians and whites flock to these cities just like they do other cities but the difference here is that the black population is choosing many other fast growing cities instead of cites like Seattle,Portland and Austin.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:46 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad apples View Post
I am a caucasian adult male, so I experience very little racism within the U.S. I do however have the advantage of hearing first hand some of the nonsense that comes out of white peoples mouths that other minorities don't get to hear. This is the reaction I have gotten from a lot of people in the Washington State area. They are against the south in general because we are the ultimate scapegoat for racism and obesity but they themselves are racist and usually a tad bit obese. That part of the country is mostly white people living in log cabins clenching their rifles talking about how much they hate Obama. Of course hating the President doesn't necessarily make you racist, but calling him names does. Trust me I have seen just as many Confederate battle flags in rural Washington as anywhere in the U.S. There is also some serious tension between hispanics and caucasians in Washington state. Hispanics have generally been segregated to living in lower income areas. It is most heavily seen in agricultural areas. There are towns in Washington in which the entire population is almost hispanic. Some towns have a mix of Native Americans, Hispanics and a few whites. You certainly do see tensions developing as we speak. Just look up Yakima, Wa. to see how things are developing. A lot of people in the north have some serious misconceptions about modern day southern culture. I am not saying that there isn't still a lot of racism in the south, there is. I am only saying that it is just as bad in the Pacific Northwest. There are some seriously nutty white supremacist groups in Washington and Idaho.

You've been posting all over the Washington state forum the last week and now this business. Washington state has Confederate battle flags flying all over? I've lived here twenty years and have never seen ONE, not one Confederate flag in Washington state and yet you see them everywhere? Do you live here? Or in the South? White supremacist groups? In Washington? I see you tossed Idaho in there to cover yourself. If you're southern, perhaps you are happier in the south and are welcome to it but we are not segregating Hispanics in Washington state either. Your post is absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited by Seacove; 05-06-2014 at 12:55 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 01:45 AM

854 posts, read 1,140,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
You've been posting all over the Washington state forum the last week and now this business. Washington state has Confederate battle flags flying all over? I've lived here twenty years and have never seen ONE, not one Confederate flag in Washington state and yet you see them everywhere? Do you live here? Or in the South? White supremacist groups? In Washington? I see you tossed Idaho in there to cover yourself. If you're southern, perhaps you are happier in the south and are welcome to it but we are not segregating Hispanics in Washington state either. Your post is absolutely ridiculous.
Well your entitled to your opinions and I am to mine. Thanks!! I'm sorry if I offended you! I don't see how me posting in whatever forum I want too has anything to do with you. It seemed like there was a lot of discussion going on about race relations in both regions and I just thought I would share my observations. The part of Washington I lived in did have Confederate battle flags hanging from houses, trucks and what not. I heard from the locals that there were white supremacist groups in Washington State and Idaho. I think its pretty common knowledge. That was all I was pointing out.

I mean people have been lumping Atlanta in with all southern cities since the start of this thread. What's wrong about lumping Seattle in with the rest of Washington.

White supremacist woman pleads guilty in Pacific Northwest killing spree | Reuters

Here is a little history about the Yakima area, an event that occurred in the 1930's.

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm...m&file_id=9252

My point is rednecks culture is racist no matter where you go. For those who don't know where Yakima is, it's about a two hour drive from Seattle in central Washington. I feel like the "gang excuse" is being used because Hispanics are starting to encroach on the Caucasians. All you ever here about here is the huge gang problem central Washington has, I certainly haven't seen it.

Last edited by bad apples; 05-06-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 05-06-2014, 10:33 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,706,185 times
Quote:
Well your entitled to your opinions and I am to mine. Thanks!! I'm sorry if I offended you! I don't see how me posting in whatever forum I want too has anything to do with you. It seemed like there was a lot of discussion going on about race relations in both regions and I just thought I would share my observations. The part of Washington I lived in did have Confederate battle flags hanging from houses, trucks and what not. I heard from the locals that there were white supremacist groups in Washington State and Idaho. I think its pretty common knowledge. That was all I was pointing out.

I mean people have been lumping Atlanta in with all southern cities since the start of this thread. What's wrong about lumping Seattle in with the rest of Washington.

White supremacist woman pleads guilty in Pacific Northwest killing spree | Reuters

Here is a little history about the Yakima area, an event that occurred in the 1930's.

HistoryLink.org- the Free Online Encyclopedia of Washington State History

My point is rednecks culture is racist no matter where you go. For those who don't know where Yakima is, it's about a two hour drive from Seattle in central Washington. I feel like the "gang excuse" is being used because Hispanics are starting to encroach on the Caucasians. All you ever here about here is the huge gang problem central Washington has, I certainly haven't seen it.
You are using that as a basis that Washington State is filled with white supremacist groups? Seriously? And please tell me the location of your Confederate battle flag area. I may live in Seattle but I will drive there to see it myself. I will also ask people on the Washington state forum to check the areas you cite as well. After living here this long, I can tell you a Confederate flag would get major eye rolls and several would probably make it to the news. Oh and tell me, where are the Hispanics segregated? I can agree that Eastern Washington is pretty different than Western Washington, but you have thrown out a bunch of BS.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:14 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,984,149 times
Quote:
blah, blah, blah...There are some seriously nutty white supremacist groups in Washington and Idaho.
Yes, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, there are 10 hate groups in Washington, 9 in Oregon, and 9 in Idaho. There are 50 in Georgia alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City