Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your favorite choice in this match up?
Atlanta 82 35.65%
Denver 55 23.91%
Seattle 93 40.43%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 11:53 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Seattle is a fine ciy but that weather is so undesireable.Its ddepressing.Especially when you are not used to it.I need the sunshine.
Denver is oneof the sunniest cities.I think even more than Atlanta but its winters are to much for me.I enjoyed my stay when I lived in Denver years ago.
I actually prefer Seattle's weather over Atlanta's. Way too hot and waaaay too humid.
Also I prefer coastal cities over landlocked cities and from what I've experienced Seattle just offeres the most of the three. A lovely traditional downtown, great food, especially seafood, abundant cultural amenities, robust economy, dense walkable hoods, easy living without a car, great public transportation, lots of annual festivals, low crime, beautiful to look at including natural beauty, beach activity and a city where you don't need air conditioning which I never had in Seattle. Not even a window unit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 12:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I actually prefer Seattle's weather over Atlanta's. Way too hot and waaaay too humid.
Also I prefer coastal cities over landlocked cities and from what I've experienced Seattle just offeres the most of the three. A lovely traditional downtown, great food, especially seafood, abundant cultural amenities, robust economy, dense walkable hoods, easy living without a car, great public transportation, lots of annual festivals, low crime, beautiful to look at including natural beauty, beach activity and a city where you don't need air conditioning which I never had in Seattle. Not even a window unit.

Let me clarify something:You made a comment earlier about you never experiencing any racism in Seattle.

Im not surprised.I never suspected you would have.My comments about Seattle are mainly from a cultural standpoint of feeling "different".

Its the same feeling I feel when I am in Minneapolis or Portland or Madison Wisconsin.

As an African American you feel out of place.
Does that mean you cannot thrive if you are AA?No.Any large city can accommodate mainly anybody.
Some cities do some groups better though.

I have family and a couple of frinds that used to live there and they can attest to these very things I mentioned.

If Seattle were more welcoming to blacks then would not more blacks want to live there?Why is it not reflected in the stats?

Culturally the black experience is lacking in Seattle.It may not be a problem for you but for most blacks,that is a problem.

This reader responds to an article post in the Seattle newspaper asking is Seattle a good place for blacks.What she says is my general feeling and the feeling of most blacks I have met that have lived in Seattle:

Quote:
"I'm a white woman living in the Seattle suburb of Mill Creek. But I am interested in responding because prior to moving here in 1989 I worked in Washington, D.C., for 20 years, lived in the District for 11 of those years, and am very much aware of how different the Seattle area is from D.C., which, like Atlanta, has a black majority.

"I agree with you that on the whole the Seattle area is a good place to live. In general people here are polite, helpful and tolerant. But I also find that many white people here seem rather clueless about those who are different from themselves and find it hard to imagine that others may see the world differently. People here have abundant goodwill but are sometimes lacking in knowledge and understanding of those who are not white and have not spent their entire lives in the Northwest and truly don't understand the point of view of those who don't share their opinions.

"In your column you pose a number of questions a black person might ask when evaluating Seattle. 'Am I going to be taken seriously on the job?' I think the answer, in most cases, is yes. 'Can I live where I want and feel comfortable?' Again, in most cases, yes. 'Are my sensitivities a meaningful part of the political, economic and social scene?' To that question I would have to answer no. In spite of tremendous growth and an influx of people from other places, I think the general ethos of the area remains white, Christian and Scandinavian.

"Probably a black person who has had a lot of experience interacting with whites would fit in quite well here. For example, a black man who grew up in Scarsdale, N.Y., and went to Brown and Harvard Law School would do fine. On the other hand, a black woman who grew up in Atlanta and went to one of the historically black Atlanta colleges might find it very hard to feel truly accepted in such a white city."
Living | Black in Seattle: Readers weigh in on whether Seattle is a good place for a black person to live | Seattle Times Newspaper

No I do not expect every black person to move to Atlanta.That is ridiculous.Atlanta has been attracting record number of immigrants .That is not bad for a landlocked city with no traditional routes of immigration patterns.

Atlanta has horrible oppressive summers that are humid but to have less days with the sun is just not something that is good for many people if you are not used to it.

Seattle is just too damn dreary.

The other reason is that is just TOO expensive to live in Seattle and its rising even more.
Its also FAR!!

Almost every body I know is on the East Coast or Midwest.A few in California.

Geographically speaking,you feel stuck.
I don't wish to catch a four hour flight to go somewhere when I wish to visit more places.

I can and have actually driven to D.C.,Miami,Chicago,Dallas,Orlando,etc...

Of course flying is even better in Atlanta.

Where am I going to drive to from Seattle?Portland Vancouver?
Cities that both look just like Seattle?Not much difference at all.

Seattle stirs no passion in me at all.Cities like D.C.,Philly,NYC,Miami,even Cleveland do.

Seattle is just a nice "Stepford wives" type city.

Nothing wrong with that but just seems rather boring to live there but better to just visit.

You don't need a car in the city of Atlanta either.When you go further out you do.This is true for Settle also.

Atlanta is a beautiful city in its own right.I love the flora and faua that abounds among the trees.In Seattle A backdrop of a mountain is great if you have a view but the trees in Atlanta are everywhere mixed in with the rolling hills and rocks.We have trees all over the city not just in the residential areas.

As far as food is concerned,Seattle does well but Im not much of a seafood person.

I love West Indian,Soul Food ,Italian and Southern cusines.Atlanta has that in abundance.Even African and Indian

Everybody has there preference and I don't knock you for yours but you cannot tell me that Im the only person that has ever said these things about Seattle.

Last edited by afonega1; 04-15-2014 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-15-2014, 01:03 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
I don't believe Seattle is racist at all. Blacks aren't in high numbers so they don't have much impact...positive or negative. While you'll feel 'sort of out of place', that's mainly because you're used to a metro being 33% black. Remember, blacks only make up 12% of the country. Atlanta metro has nearly 3x the average proportion of blacks in the country. You won't feel like a minority in Atlanta being black.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:05 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Actually, all I did was state that cities with high black populations such as Atlanta tend to have worse schools--as well as higher crime rates, for that matter--overall than cities with low black populations such as Seattle and Denver.

Some other examples in addition to Atlanta are Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans, Little Rock, Charleston, etc.

It's really no mystery, and everyone is aware of this; however, when I respond to a previous poster's comment about schools in Seattle and Denver being superior to those in Atlanta with my initial comment, I'm called every name in the book--racist, bigot, troll, etc. I prefer realist, mind you.

Wake up and smell the coffee, people.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:08 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8to32characters View Post
Actually, all I did was state that cities with high black populations such as Atlanta tend to have worse schools--as well as higher crime rates, for that matter--overall than cities with low black populations such as Seattle and Denver.

Some other examples in addition to Atlanta are Memphis, Birmingham, New Orleans, Little Rock, Charleston, etc.

It's really no mystery, and everyone is aware of this; however, when I respond to a previous poster's comment about schools in Seattle and Denver being superior to those in Atlanta with my initial comment, I'm called every name in the book--racist, bigot, troll, etc. I prefer realist, mind you.

Perhaps you should work on your delivery.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:51 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:

If it's a Southern city, we already know you'll find a way to crap on it. It could be an Appalachian city with a relatively low Black population and it would just be more of the same from you. You can easily tell just by the fact that you did not name one single Northern city in your list of "examples."

There's no "realism" in your part; just the same old anti-Southern criticisms that you're always spewing.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:52 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,129,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If it's a Southern city, we already know you'll find a way to crap on it. It could be an Appalachian city with a relatively low Black population and it would just be more of the same from you. You can easily tell just by the fact that you did not name one single Northern city in your list of "examples."

There's no "realism" in your part; just the same old anti-Southern criticisms that you're always spewing.
He won't name Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, and Philly though. So true.

Old 04-15-2014, 03:05 PM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
He won't name Chicago, Baltimore, Detroit, and Philly though. So true.
FWIW, I think those cities are just as horrible--if not more so--than most of the cities I listed, although I do like Taylor St. in Chicago and Inner Harbor in Baltimore.

Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 PM

604 posts, read 1,520,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Let me clarify something:You made a comment earlier about you never experiencing any racism in Seattle.

If Seattle were more welcoming to blacks then would not more blacks want to live there?Why is it not reflected in the stats?

That seems silly. It is akin to asking why Canada have more black people. How come New York City has so few Eskimos?

Simply comes down to history, location, types of jobs, and geography. Seattle is pretty far out of the way for most African Americans living in the United States with roots mostly on the east coast and south. The major draw to the Seattle area for most African Amerians was probably the military post WW2. Other than that, there was not much else.

The Seattle area is more likely to draw from Asian countries.

Old 04-15-2014, 05:50 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,766,049 times
Quote:

Actually..... that isn't when I mentioned racism....

After your little limited list of who Atlanta is for.... but all the other cities are for everybody and those cities just happen to run with a really large homogenous white majority.... was really telling.

Wake up and smell the coffee. You're picking and choosing who "everyone" should be.

Atlanta has a large diversity of people and low levels of residential segregation.

To say Atlanta isn't for everyone, especially compared to some cities that tend to be more homogenous, just tells me you have some type of issues with the diversity that is present in Atlanta and perhaps you feel 'for everyone' just means the type of people you find in Seattle and Denver and not those who are more prevalent in Atlanta.

I just don't buy that argument you made, without you having some type of issue. Believe me... I'm a realist, but it is all your comments, how you bring them, and what you think they mean in context that doesn't add up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City