Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best metro area to live in?
Seattle metro 16 45.71%
Irvine CA 8 22.86%
Fremont CA 8 22.86%
other? specify? 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:33 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Again, you're using absolutely absurd geographic boundaries to constitute an "area".
Listen, I don't care if you paint your face red and run down the street wearing nothing but high heels. The Bay Area is a massive, cohesive region that is home to 8.370 million people and is about twice as big as the Seattle Area as far as population.

Not saying that's a good thing nor are we throwing a party to celebrate, but its a fact and you are clearly not as familiar with this area as you think you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 10:37 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
I'd say Seattle is more laid back, SF Bay Area is more energetic. Although SF Bay Area is arguably more liberal, the women in the PNW are about the least attractive IMO. If you are a single male, you should consider this. Weather is the biggest difference, but I'd rate SF higher as a city for young person even though Seattle is also great.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:17 AM

1,108 posts, read 2,287,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I'd say Seattle is more laid back, SF Bay Area is more energetic. Although SF Bay Area is arguably more liberal, the women in the PNW are about the least attractive IMO. If you are a single male, you should consider this. Weather is the biggest difference, but I'd rate SF higher as a city for young person even though Seattle is also great.
What are you basing the "women are the least attractive" comment on? I'd argue that PNW women are generally more fit than most areas of the country and on par with the Bay Area in that regard. The City of Seattle proper doesn't have a ton of the barbie-doll types, if that's your thing, but Bellevue, Kirkland, and other Eastside communities definitely do - and they invade the City on the weekends!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:03 PM

176 posts, read 348,882 times
Quote:
I'm also curious about this. i can't understand how women that are considered less attractive in society's eye would be more inclined to move to Seattle over anyone else. It just doesnt make sense, could you please elaborate on what you mean by less attractive? Do you live in Seattle? Thank you!

Old 04-10-2013, 12:39 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Listen, I don't care if you paint your face red and run down the street wearing nothing but high heels. The Bay Area is a massive, cohesive region that is home to 8.370 million people and is about twice as big as the Seattle Area as far as population.

Not saying that's a good thing nor are we throwing a party to celebrate, but its a fact and you are clearly not as familiar with this area as you think you are.
And considering that the OP is asking about Fremont specifically, the Bay Area as a whole is relevant to this discussion.

Fremont might technically be in the San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont MSA and the SF Bay Area CMSA, but it's actually much closer to San Jose than San Francisco or Oakland and feels pretty closely tied with neighboring Milpitas just over the Alameda/Santa Clara County line both in terms of demogrpahics(highly Asian) and Silicon Valley economy. I'd be willing to wager that more people in Fremont commute to work to the south in Santa Clara County than to the north. Living in Fremont you might make the 40 minute drive to San Francisco for entertainment or possibly work(or to Oakland/Berkeley), but you're living right on the edge of Silicon Valley and San Jose.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:22 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,392,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_im_sean View Post
I'm also curious about this. i can't understand how women that are considered less attractive in society's eye would be more inclined to move to Seattle over anyone else. It just doesnt make sense, could you please elaborate on what you mean by less attractive? Do you live in Seattle? Thank you!
Go up there and look around. I'm not talking "barbie doll" types. I'm talking about trying to present one's self in a manner that is attractive to the opposite sex. Zero makeup, messy hair, and bad clothes don't help. Also, strangely, a ton of the less attractive girls I knew from college migrated to the PNW. Not sure why. The weather also creates a very pale zombie look.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 AM

93 posts, read 158,307 times
Irvine??? that's so Cal
And why did it get split lika that? trying to disperse the votes for the bay area

Old 04-24-2013, 12:49 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Quote:
Go up there and look around. I'm not talking "barbie doll" types. I'm talking about trying to present one's self in a manner that is attractive to the opposite sex. Zero makeup, messy hair, and bad clothes don't help. Also, strangely, a ton of the less attractive girls I knew from college migrated to the PNW. Not sure why. The weather also creates a very pale zombie look.
Sorry, but this just isn't true. Maybe if you hang out in certain neighborhoods, or in certain circles, but the women here are no worse looking than American women anywhere. YOU try wearing eye makeup and flat-ironing your hair only to go outside and have it all ruined by the rain. We adjust to the elements here, and many of us work our asses off and don't have two hours to get ready in the morning so we can go sit in our cubicles and work on the computer for 10-12 hours. On the other hand, I'm not sure what excuse the men here have for looking like utter slobs.

I'm so over the men on City Data feeling it is OK to just insult and ridicule women on their looks. It is rude! Have some tact. You wouldn't like it if I were to just say something like, "The men in <SF, Los Angeles, Atlanta> have by far the smallest penises I've ever encountered. Stay away, ladies, it's a waste of your time!"

Old 04-24-2013, 12:59 AM

1,979 posts, read 3,526,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

The Bay Area is definitely bigger than the Puget Sound area. And I wouldn't say that's necessarily a good thing. Traffic is not good in either area, but the Bay Area is significantly worse.

By far the biggest problem with the Bay Area is the cost of living. It is basically unaffordable. Who wants to live in a $2500/month two bedroom apartment with their family of four forever? And the techies have become their own worst enemy, because they're driving prices up so much that retailers and restauranteurs aren't able to keep up. See this article from today's New York Times: San Francisco Hangout Becomes Casualty of Tech Boom - NYTimes.com It will all handle itself soon enough, as the things that make the Bay Area cool slowly disappear under the weight of grossly inflated costs.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:05 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,991,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Traffic is not good in either area, but the Bay Area is significantly worse.

Tell me about it, eastshore fwy is a nightmare every time I go to Berkeley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City