Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 02:21 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that. Downtown Philly would have more than downtown Miami. However, the highrises don't stop at the border if you include other areas lined with more of them that extend 50-60 miles north as far away as North Palm Beach. Only NYC and Chicago would have more than SFLA unless you throw in Toronto to include the rest of North America. I'm not sure about Vancouver.
source: http://2s2u.com/p2go.com/wp-content/...ne-Florida.jpg

Miami to Philly is an apples to oranges comparison. Nothing in Miami resembles the urban built form of Philly. It's really not close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 02:22 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
OK, but even if Philly does have all these row homes, they are still "urban" row homes and easier to get around with far narrower streets than a bunch of spaced out larger buildings. Why shouldn't these row home areas be counted into the urban residential format?
Since the title of the thread is "Philadelphia Vs. Washington D.C. Which is more urban/dense" row homes are an urban characteristic trait so it counts while a suburban home with a drive way and garage shouldn't. Row homes like highrises are part of a city's over all urban fabric so yes they should count. In the city, you have the urban highrise/midrise residents and row home residents. It's these group categories that make up the city which also includes row homes.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Miami to Philly is an apples to oranges comparison. Nothing in Miami resembles the urban built form of Philly. It's really not close.
Of course, they are different. They are two different styles so they shouldn't resemble each other. Philly has more emphasis on history and row houses while Miami is a new version of urban with more emphasis on highrise living. There's old urban and then there's new urban.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of that. Downtown Philly would have more than downtown Miami. However, the highrises don't stop at the border if you include other areas lined with more of them that extend 50-60 miles north as far away as North Palm Beach. Only NYC and Chicago would have more than SFLA unless you throw in Toronto to include the rest of North America. I'm not sure about Vancouver.
source: http://2s2u.com/p2go.com/wp-content/...ne-Florida.jpg
Miami's skyline.

First one.

Second one.

Last one.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Of course, they are different. They are two different styles so they shouldn't resemble each other. Philly has more emphasis on history and row houses while Miami is a new version of urban with more emphasis on highrise living. There's old urban and then there's new urban.

See that is the problem. Miami high-rise’s aren't built urban at all. To be urban, a high-rise must come right up to the street, have parking underground or in structured parking that is consolidated under the current building footprint. You shouldn't have a parking garage structure that is larger than the building footprint. That is how you lose urbanity. Miami is notorious for this. They also build setbacks around building which is pretty bad too. Take a look at the Miami picture to see what I mean. Way too much space between buildings. Pools should be on the roof. There should be no room for trees except lining the street. Where does someone begin with all these things going on?

Old 10-21-2013, 02:38 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Always liked the images from the water for Miami

You can really start to get an idea for how long the high rise wall goes

Old 10-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Amazing shots I use to live in one of those highrises in the skyline. I miss the highrise life style. In relevance to the thread I wonder who has the tallest residential highrise tower between Philly and DC.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:43 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Now your being facetious...

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
There are many things that make up urbanity to me, a lot of these are related to density. building density both high rise/low rise, population density, entertainment density and the density that public transit can bring people into clustered zones. i.e. to use london as an example, it has a high entertainment density in central london even if the population density there isn't that dense, along with an incredible public transit, the perception is that it is very urban.

things that break this up are streets that are too wide, too many detached housing, drive ways with garages, not enough entertainment, not enough people on the street per lack of good transit.

also, Miami looks good from afar, but street level urbanity sucks and most people just drive back and forth everywhere. Whether you live in a multi unit apartment, row house, or high rise, street level design is the most important aspect (unless you are a bird) or just like to view where you live from 2 miles away.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=miami...220.46,,0,0.14

Last edited by grapico; 10-21-2013 at 02:57 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 02:54 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,961,697 times
Quote:
Amazing shots I use to live in one of those highrises in the skyline. I miss the highrise life style. In relevance to the thread I wonder who has the tallest residential highrise tower between Philly and DC.
Miami becomes more like a tropical Southern version of Chicago as each year passes, skyline wise. Architectural style differences notwithstanding but the linear development and the development along the waterfront is similar enough.

This shot for example, reminds me of the area where the Trump Tower sits on the Chicago River, separating River North from the Loop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City