Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 03:27 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post
Amazing shots I use to live in one of those highrises in the skyline. I miss the highrise life style. In relevance to the thread I wonder who has the tallest residential highrise tower between Philly and DC.
Philadelphia's tallest Residential building is the Residences at the Ritz-Carlton which is 518 feet and 48 floors

The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton (Philadelphia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 03:32 PM

349 posts, read 573,136 times
I used to think that DC had the 2nd best in the nation too, its very impressive visiting, but the more you use it to get around, the more its problems begin to show.

Chicago's trains run at more frequent intervals, its commuter rail system is massive, late night network is much more thorough (easily 2nd in the US), and its bus service picks up the slack for the areas not served by transit much better. DC's cost is outrageous too, $230 for a monthly pass Vs. $100 in Chicago. DC shines in having better integration of development near its mass transit stations. Chicago really doesn't need new lines, it just needs to build up around the lines already present.

Overall, DC is better situated for a larger proportion of its population to live car-free, but you can live a car-free lifestyle in in Chicago just as easily in the right places, so overall, its pretty similar. They'd be in a similar tier, but nowhere near NYC, which is fully thorough, reliable, inexpensive and efficient.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:13 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,979,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
That is Miami Beach, not Miami. It's also primarily hotels and seasonal condos. Also as far as I know to get there you need to drive or take a taxi.

Even in Miami Beach there is far too much stuff like this...

http://goo.gl/maps/R5NIN
Actually, you don't need a car. I've taken Tri Rail (commuter rail), Metro Rail (heavy rail), and a bus to get to Miami Beach without a car many times while going to school in West Palm Beach which is about 60 miles away. Miami Beach has plenty of sidewalks. It's walkable to many things. Sure you have car parks but not everyone drives there. I had a friend who once lived in South Beach and got around without a car just fine.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Philadelphia's tallest Residential building is the Residences at the Ritz-Carlton which is 518 feet and 48 floors

The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton (Philadelphia) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nice!! If I had the money and wanted to live in Philly it would be right there. Elevator please!! I bet the views from those upper floors must be amazing.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Alright as much as I want to chit chat on here I need to stop procrastinating and get my butt to the gym to make my muscles bigger. Later folks

Old 10-21-2013, 04:23 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Actually, you don't need a car. I've taken Tri Rail (commuter rail), Metro Rail (heavy rail), and a bus to get to Miami Beach without a car many times while going to school in West Palm Beach which is about 60 miles away. Miami Beach has plenty of sidewalks. It's walkable to many things. Sure you have car parks but not everyone drives there. I had a friend who once lived in South Beach and got around without a car just fine.
That isn't saying that much, where I went to college plenty of people got around "car free" just fine but I wouldn't recommend it.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Nice!! If I had the money and wanted to live in Philly it would be right there. Elevator please!! I bet the views from those upper floors must be amazing.
If I had money, I would live here:
10 Rittenhouse

10 Rittenhouse, the most luxurious address in Philadelphia.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:41 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,255,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Summers - I had always heard that Two Liberty was the tallest residential in Philly with residences on the top 20 floors of the 58 story building: Two Liberty Place | The Condo Shop - Philadelphia Real Estate Services. Are you designating the Ritz-Carlton because it is solely residential while Two Liberty is mixed use? It appears the story I was told that Richie Sambora owns a spot at Two Liberty is true, though I wonder how often he lives there: Weekly Press - Philadelphia News.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:23 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Interesting photo.

That vantage point is taken from Univ City overlooking Center City then Camden is a complete wasteland. How can Center City be so healthy and then Camden a mere 1/4 mile across the Del River is deserted? The views of Philadelphia skyline alone should be enough to kick off a bunch of midrise residential office projects along Camdens riverfront. Campbells Soup HQ recently announces plans to build a new sprawling office park inland in Camden. Why not build a couple mid rises instead. Thanks a lot NJ

Partial view of Philly from Camden

Last edited by rainrock; 10-21-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
Summers - I had always heard that Two Liberty was the tallest residential in Philly with residences on the top 20 floors of the 58 story building: Two Liberty Place | The Condo Shop - Philadelphia Real Estate Services. Are you designating the Ritz-Carlton because it is solely residential while Two Liberty is mixed use? It appears the story I was told that Richie Sambora owns a spot at Two Liberty is true, though I wonder how often he lives there: Weekly Press - Philadelphia News.
I meant ALL Residential building. Two Liberty Place is offices, residential and soon to be hotel as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City