Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Washington D.C. 21 14.48%
Philadelphia P.A. 124 85.52%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,133,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Here is the new Crystal City to the north of Potomac Yards. These two corridors together with Old Town Alexandria and Pentagon City are going to surpass the RB Corridor which also is urbanizing fast.

Wow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,910,924 times
Quote:
Do you think it would have been better to build 6-8 buildings with all that space instead of just two?

Let me know what you think about this? I was reading an article that talked about one of the problems with skyscrapers. It was making a point that land owners will keep parking lots waiting for that big deal to build a massive skyscraper which leaves cities with so much undeveloped land. I used to think D.C. needed to build 500 foot towers too, but I now realize that the only reason D.C. and it's surrounding area is urbanizing so much is because we aren't sucking up all the demand in a few buildings.

It made me wonder what D.C. would look like right now if we just had about 30 skyscrapers downtown and parking lots like most downtown's. It made me wonder about what the rest of the city would look like too. I assume the city would still be really run down. The height limits in D.C. I believe has single handedly revitalized D.C. to be what it is today and what it is becoming. It would be a great thesis topic.

well this goes to intensity versus spread. Not sure any are better or worse maybe preference

Good news is lots filling quickly again here, nice to see after the economic recovery

More importantly these represent good jobs in the city, the greatest need

Old 10-31-2013, 11:42 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
well this goes to intensity versus spread. Not sure any are better or worse maybe preference

Good news is lots filling quickly again here, nice to see after the economic recovery

More importantly these represent good jobs in the city, the greatest need

That is true about preference. The question that would still remain is how long would it take Center City and U City to reach 100% buildout when going spread versus intensity? Would we enjoy it in our lifetime? It's one of question's people are asking now with this dumpster fire over the height limit. Some say raising the height limit in D.C. now will keep SE D.C. from developing like the rest of the city is. I beleive that to be true, but the height limit debate is about the next 100 years of development and not just the next 20 years. I do beleive that keeping the height limit will have SE D.C. look like 14th Street over the next 20 years. There is just no where else to grow in D.C.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
That is true about preference. The question that would still remain is how long would it take Center City and U City to reach 100% buildout when going spread versus intensity? Would we enjoy it in our lifetime? It's one of question's people are asking now with this dumpster fire over the height limit.

dunno very few large remain today. A few spots but is probably like 95% built out - not all high rises. Philly will probably never be all high rises

Old 10-31-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
dunno very few large remain today. A few spots but is probably like 95% built out - not all high rises. Philly will probably never be all high rises
Do you think the reason Philly will never be all high-rises is because of the skyscrapers? Do you think there would be pressure to develop all of Center City and U City as high-rise's if the demand didn't go into a few mega projects? I wonder if the development would spill into the rest of the city if there was a height limit in Center City. Would the row houses become midrise like D.C.? It's an interesting debate. I am for the height limit elimination in D.C. for the record though.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Quote:
Do you think the reason Philly will never be all high-rises is because of the skyscrapers? Do you think there would be pressure to develop all of Center City and U City as high-rise's if the demand didn't go into a few mega projects? I wonder if the development would spill into the rest of the city if there was a height limit in Center City. Would the row houses become midrise like D.C.? It's an interesting debate. I am for the height limit elimination in D.C. for the record though.
A lot of neighborhoods in Center City are historic and will never be demo'd and replaced with highrises. IDK if we'll ever see complete build out of Center City in our life time. Sure, all surface lots will be filled in, but once that happens, lowrises and parking garages will just start being replaced by highrises.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
A lot of neighborhoods in Center City are historic and will never be demo'd and replaced with highrises. IDK if we'll ever see complete build out of Center City in our life time. Sure, all surface lots will be filled in, but once that happens, lowrises and parking garages will just start being replaced by highrises.

Well, that is what I mean by build out. The elimination of surface parking. When an area is built out, the only thing left is redevelopment of an existing building. It's what is happening in D.C. now. They are dropping like flies in D.C. and I expect the same will happen in Center City eventually. It makes for great new retail though. Seems like famous chef's gravitate toward new class A residential and office buildings.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Well, that is what I mean by build out. The elimination of surface parking. When an area is built out, the only thing left is redevelopment of an existing building. It's what is happening in D.C. now. They are dropping like flies in D.C. and I expect the same will happen in Center City eventually. It makes for great new retail though. Seems like famous chef's gravitate toward new class A residential and office buildings.
In DC yes, in other cities not so sure

The VAST majority of restaurants here are not in new office buildings - in fact many that are have failed here. The space many times is not as interesting IMHO

Garces for example has just invested in a couple of old properties

Old 10-31-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
In DC yes, in other cities not so sure

The VAST majority of restaurants here are not in new office buildings - in fact many that are have failed here. The space many times is not as interesting IMHO

Garces for example has just invested in a couple of old properties
Most restaurants do better in D.C. because of the spending power of the region. You hear that a lot when reading interviews from chefs. Restaurants are going everywhere in D.C. because of the growth in so many neighborhoods. Many of the most famous chefs coming to D.C. at the upper level are putting their restaurants in older properties also. I do beleive that Daniel Boulud is the only chef at that level putting his restaurant in a class A building right now, however, that building is also City Center DC which speaks for itself. Philly's City Tape House is opening across the street from there so it just has that appeal.

Most chefs like Michael White, Steven Starr, Kevin Sbrago, Jose Garces are all putting their restaurants in warehouses or rehabs.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Most restaurants do better in D.C. because of the spending power of the region. You hear that a lot when reading interviews from chefs. Restaurants are going everywhere in D.C. because of the growth in so many neighborhoods. Many of the most famous chefs coming to D.C. at the upper level are putting their restaurants in older properties also. I do beleive that Daniel Boulud is the only chef at that level putting his restaurant in a class A building right now, however, that building is also City Center DC which speaks for itself. Philly's City Tape House is opening across the street from there so it just has that appeal.

Most chefs like Michael White, Steven Starr, Kevin Sbrago, Jose Garces are all putting their restaurants in warehouses or rehabs.

Well there is no shortage of high end restaurants in CC either way. And it seems yes people are opening in DC like Starr after their time in Philly, NYC and Miami
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City