Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2023, 07:19 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What are King of Prussia and Cherry Hill, chopped liver?

KofP is the second-biggest edge city in the Northeast after Tysons, and it's home to the nation's third-largest shopping mall (I think it's still #1 in terms of total selling space because the two above it have indoor amusement parks and [in the case of the one in New Jersey] ski slopes, but the one outside Minneapolis-St.Paul expanded recently so may have ecilipsed it). KofP is also the Philadelphia region's second-biggest employment center after Center City itself.

I'm not voicing approval of this style of development, just wanted to correct your impression of the Philadelphia area, which also abounds in really nice, walkable, American Small Town-ish siuburbs.
KOP is similar to Burlington MA outside Boston. But this is not what he was referring too.

He was more or less referring to car centric exurban, master planned cities with skylines... like Tysons and Reston. The type of cities where last mile transit is nearly impossible. Those don't really exist north and east of DC. MetroPark could be one actually.

KOP and Burlington MA are nothing like Tysons and Reston, for better or worse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2023, 08:22 AM

471 posts, read 272,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irehdna View Post
IMO DC feels the biggest by far. It's now the 3rd largest metro-area (CSA-basis) in the country with ~10M and feels like it. The city itself doesn't have the tall buildings of BOS/PHL, but what it does have is miles and miles of continuous 5-10 story development.

Driving in from Dulles you pass through Reston, Tysons, and McLean, all of which have sizable skylines of their own. They are 10-20 miles outside the city, but still have a hyper-frequent metro rail connecting them together and to the city. Closer afield you have Arlington, Bethesda, and Silver Spring. Boston and Philly have nothing like this.

The continuous sprawl both going west and north of the city (25 miles to Brambleton and Gaithersburg) is something you don't see in the other two.

DC is now technically a megacity (and became one before Chicago). I wouldn't be surprised for it to grow until at least 12-13 million before the growth cools off.
Outside of Arlington and Alexandria, I think most of the suburbs in Virginia feel pretty disconnected from DC. I used to live in Reston Town Center and it definitely doesn't feel like it's part of a megacity, metro access or not. Going to DC from there was a hike, whether it was spending nearly an hour on the metro or driving. Accessing Tysons also was a chore when I lived in Columbia Heights. Living in Rosslyn I felt very connected to DC.

Philly feels like a far bigger city than DC and Boston to me.

Old 10-23-2023, 09:50 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
KOP is similar to Burlington MA outside Boston. But this is not what he was referring too.

He was more or less referring to car centric exurban, master planned cities with skylines... like Tysons and Reston. The type of cities where last mile transit is nearly impossible. Those don't really exist north and east of DC. MetroPark could be one actually.

KOP and Burlington MA are nothing like Tysons and Reston, for better or worse.
Reston is master-planned. Tysons isn't. (And, oddly enough, shopping centers proved to be the nuclei around which both it and KoP grew: Tysons Corner Center where I-495 and Routes 7 and 123 cross in VA, and King of Prussia Plaza where I-76, US 202 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike cross in suburban Philadelphia. I also believe that both centers opened in the same year: 1965. Correction: KoP Plaza opened in 1963, Tysons Corner Center five years later.)

Tysons may have taller buildings, but in terms of their development, it and KoP are siblings.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 10-23-2023 at 09:59 AM..

Old 10-23-2023, 11:27 AM

19 posts, read 10,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Of course Boston and Philly don’t have Tysons, Reston etc. neither does NYC really. Boston, Philly, NYC don’t have sprawly office park exurbs. While you might think they are tall and look pretty, they are impractical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Reston is master-planned. Tysons isn't. (And, oddly enough, shopping centers proved to be the nuclei around which both it and KoP grew: Tysons Corner Center where I-495 and Routes 7 and 123 cross in VA, and King of Prussia Plaza where I-76, US 202 and the Pennsylvania Turnpike cross in suburban Philadelphia. I also believe that both centers opened in the same year: 1965. Correction: KoP Plaza opened in 1963, Tysons Corner Center five years later.)

Tysons may have taller buildings, but in terms of their development, it and KoP are siblings.
Tysons is much closer to DC than KOP is to Philly. But the biggest thing is the frequent metro rail connection. Not having to think about when a train is and easily hop on to Arlington or DC Proper is what makes Tysons feel much more like an extension of DC than KOP is of Philly.

The only way to KOP is by road.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:36 AM

445 posts, read 414,223 times
Obviously, I might be biased, but I am genuinely shocked that some people think DC feels larger than Philly. As someone who frequently travels to DC for work and leisure, I'm always taken aback by how much more of a mid-size city DC feels like than a large city like Philly or Chicago. There's also just zero comparison for the huge urban mass of West/North/South/Center City Philly. DC doesn't come close to that.

Old 10-23-2023, 11:53 AM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irehdna View Post
Tysons is much closer to DC than KOP is to Philly. But the biggest thing is the frequent metro rail connection. Not having to think about when a train is and easily hop on to Arlington or DC Proper is what makes Tysons feel much more like an extension of DC than KOP is of Philly.

The only way to KOP is by road.
Last mile transit in Philly/KOP>>>> Last mile transit in Tysons/Reston to DC

Old 10-23-2023, 12:15 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
Obviously, I might be biased, but I am genuinely shocked that some people think DC feels larger than Philly. As someone who frequently travels to DC for work and leisure, I'm always taken aback by how much more of a mid-size city DC feels like than a large city like Philly or Chicago. There's also just zero comparison for the huge urban mass of West/North/South/Center City Philly. DC doesn't come close to that.
Maybe their comparing metros and not cities. DC is also more spread out and they might consider most of the city proper and Rosslyn, Pentagon City etc to be the equivalent to CC Philadelphia. That might give the illusion that DC feels bigger.

Old 10-23-2023, 12:16 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
It's the conundrum of the concentrated urban core versus multi-nodal metro areas.

Philadelphia packs it's punch, by far, in the 15 mile radius around Center City compared to DC.

Boston does this slightly less so than Philly, but much more than DC. It's also still a bit more multi-nodal than Philly.

DC has a baseline of development/urbanism that's farthest-reaching, but it feels the most sporadic compared to Philly or Boston.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-23-2023 at 01:16 PM..

Old 10-23-2023, 03:31 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
Outside of Arlington and Alexandria, I think most of the suburbs in Virginia feel pretty disconnected from DC. I used to live in Reston Town Center and it definitely doesn't feel like it's part of a megacity, metro access or not. Going to DC from there was a hike, whether it was spending nearly an hour on the metro or driving. Accessing Tysons also was a chore when I lived in Columbia Heights. Living in Rosslyn I felt very connected to DC.

Not sure how long ago that was for you, but Reston definitely is a major/relevant and connected node of the DC metro area at this point.

https://www.restonnow.com/2023/10/23...en%20completed.

Construction just topped out on a 40 story "skycraper" at Reston Metro station and is the tallest residential building in the DC area. That's 21 miles from DC. Neither Philadelphia nor Boston have suburbs 20 plus miles from their city as their tallest residential building so it just creates a more expansive feel for the DC region when you have not only this but 5 or 6 other major suburban "skyline" and TOD centers surrounded by rail transit and connected by major freeways. I think people are conflicting whether the metro areas sizes feel larger, vs the urban core of each city honestly.

Old 10-23-2023, 03:36 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post
No I don't think people are saying DC feels like the largest urban city proper. It's basically a comparison of the urban scale of each region. In which Philly has a great case. However DC as you exit the city proper keeps pumping at a higher rate than Philly suburbs and Boston's after a while.

Last edited by the resident09; 10-23-2023 at 05:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City