Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2023, 09:38 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
DC metro feels larger but I think Providence does add to the feel at least for me in a practical sense having immediate family in Both cities. So when I visit I drive between the both multiple times per week, sometimes per day. I also have friends in smaller cities between the two of them.

I'm from the Massachusetts South Coast part of the Providence metro. I think you're overstating the connection. The Providence television stations don't report Boston news. Providence to Boston is an hour 10 minutes by commuter rail. With the Boston housing crunch, there are people commuting from Providence but it's a small number relative to people who work more locally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 09:52 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I'm from the Massachusetts South Coast part of the Providence metro. I think you're overstating the connection. The Providence television stations don't report Boston news. Providence to Boston is an hour 10 minutes by commuter rail. With the Boston housing crunch, there are people commuting from Providence but it's a small number relative to people who work more locally.
You're from the South Coast though...not the Metro South, in between Boston and Providence. So youre not part of the corridor im talking about as you're neither in Providence, Boston or in between them both.

I got from my house in Hyde Park to Providence in 40 minutes routinely. Faster than taking the train into Boston. When I lived in Downtown Bridgewater it was a toss-up in which direction I would head via car because traffic towards Boston was worse. I received both radio signals from the Providence Market and Boston Market.

Every party promoter and event series I knew had events in Boston and Providence. For me and many others like me- it was absolutely more relevant than like....Lynn or So merville. Places I really never go to. All in my Instagram newsfeed on "Boston Culture" were talk about how Top Golf in Cranston RI was opening today. At the same time, people were asking when the one in Canton MA opens.

The busiest MBTA commuter rail line is the Providence Line and its only going to make deeper connections in that area with the extension of South Coast Rail out of Boston

The Boston Globe covers Providence extensively and reports on it extensively. More so than most cities in MA.

Old 10-07-2023, 08:25 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
You're from the South Coast though...not the Metro South, in between Boston and Providence. So youre not part of the corridor im talking about as you're neither in Providence, Boston or in between them both.

I got from my house in Hyde Park to Providence in 40 minutes routinely. Faster than taking the train into Boston. When I lived in Downtown Bridgewater it was a toss-up in which direction I would head via car because traffic towards Boston was worse. I received both radio signals from the Providence Market and Boston Market.

Every party promoter and event series I knew had events in Boston and Providence. For me and many others like me- it was absolutely more relevant than like....Lynn or So merville. Places I really never go to. All in my Instagram newsfeed on "Boston Culture" were talk about how Top Golf in Cranston RI was opening today. At the same time, people were asking when the one in Canton MA opens.

The busiest MBTA commuter rail line is the Providence Line and its only going to make deeper connections in that area with the extension of South Coast Rail out of Boston

The Boston Globe covers Providence extensively and reports on it extensively. More so than most cities in MA.
Yeah I have family in Seekonk, North Attleborough, Hollis, Norton, Easton, Canton, Randolph, Westwood and Walpole.

It very much is one interconnected corridor for reasons you stated.

Hell, when I lived in Randolph, we went to Providence for every damn field trip and weekend activity. Lol

Old 10-07-2023, 08:32 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah I have family in Seekonk, North Attleborough, Hollis, Norton, Easton, Canton, Randolph, Westwood and Walpole.

It very much is one interconnected corridor for reasons you stated.

Hell, when I lived in Randolph, we went to Providence for every damn field trip and weekend activity. Lol
Ehh you feel like you “left Boston” by the time you’re in like Canton.

Going North if you dropped people on random street corners you could probably convince people that you were in Boston up until maybe Beverly center?

Going south it gets leafy/suburban real quick.

Like if you took someone from St Louis and dropped them in Lynn and said “you’re in South Boston”

If you dropped them in Walpole they’d be like “this is the suburbs”

Old 10-07-2023, 08:52 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,916,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post

Going North if you dropped people on random street corners you could probably convince people that you were in Boston up until maybe Beverly center?

Like if you took someone from St Louis and dropped them in Lynn and said “you’re in South Boston”

This is true.

Boston to Beverly is the most consistent stretch of urbanity in Massachusetts. It’s the one stretch that makes it feel like a BIG metro.

The stretch due west, between Boston and Waltham, is close, but Waltham sits only 10 miles from Boston while Beverly is 20+.

Heading south, you hit either Dedham or Milton, which feels like suburbia through and through. Or, you hit Quincy, which abruptly turns into suburbia with Braintree or Weymouth.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:26 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:

Canton is literally 7 minutes from Boston.

You all have spent a decade trying to convince me “____ is really just Boston” you’re not about to switch up now. Oh name all of this is Metro like we’re sitting here talking about far flung DC suburbs….that aren’t sharing any built form with DC. Gotta stay consistent. Massachoicetts and I are telling you as people who lived between Boston and Prov it feels like one corridor- we would know.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:

You all have spent a decade trying to convince me “____ is really just Boston” you’re not about to switch up now. Oh name all of this is Metro like we’re sitting here talking about far flung DC suburbs….that aren’t sharing any built form with DC. Gotta stay consistent. Massachoicetts and I are telling you as people who lived between Boston and Prov it feels like one corridor- we would know.
Yeah I kinda agree with that too, DC and Baltimore are like clearly separate too. It doesn’t feel like a city from Tysons Corner to Towson.

Also a cultural/economic region and what’s physically the are city are not the same

a place like Braintree is clearly not Boston, from a physical look at the neighborhood but also clearly in the same economic/cultural sphere

This is about what city looks physically bigger. Nobody would be wandering thru Foxboro and be like “yes this is still the city”

Alexandria and Arlington are clearly part of “the city” but like Crofton MD is clearly not.

All of these cities have an “urban footprint” of ~150-160sq miles or so.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:36 AM

12,161 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:

Yeah this^. It basically is a unified corridor. Even people living in Dorchester went to Providence for field trips.

Maybe in Beverly and Waltham, its not unified.

But between Hyde Park/Dorchester and Attleborough it is.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Yeah this^. It basically is a unified corridor. Even people living in Dorchester went to Providence for field trips.

Maybe in Beverly and Waltham, its not unified.

But between Hyde Park/Dorchester and Attleborough it is.
But it’s not in Bostons “urban footprint” it’s an adjacent region that has cultural/economic affinity.

Old 10-07-2023, 10:12 AM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
But it’s not in Bostons “urban footprint” it’s an adjacent region that has cultural/economic affinity.
Philadelphia has the largest "urban footprint"

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2634...8192?entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4444...8192?entry=ttu

3 Hrs. away in Maryland
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.6342...6656?entry=ttu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City