Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 01:42 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
From what I remember in a October 2019 study was the daytime population of Boston and only Boston Propper was 1,317,000.

From 2017-2019, the population increased by 8k people (2 years) and jobs in the city rose by 13k. Thanks Wayfair, Amazon and Verizon.

When all stages of Cambridge Crossing come online.. that's 4000 peoples and up to 5,000 jobs.
Yea I feel like I’ve seen 1.3 million more recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2020, 01:49 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Is downtown Philly as busy as Boston and DC during daytime hours?
IMO no, but these are each close and in the same tier honestly with regards to daytime pace/foot traffic. Each have pretty solid pace 12-14hrs out of the day.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
The data in the article you’re siting is actually 2006-2010 estimateS. So well over a decade ago...

Yea I dunno every figure I’ve every seen gives Boston’s daytime population at 1.2-1.3 million. Rather consistently

https://www.boston.gov/sites/default...ay_spreads.pdf

Boston Experts: We Need to Scale Up Coronavirus Testing Now | The Brink | Boston University

“Nieves said Boston—a city of 695,000 residents that balloons daily to 1.2 million when including commuters and visitors”

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/...0ba5c8ed3d6176

This site puts DC daytime population at 1.1 million.

https://ggwash.org/view/34772/dcs-da...over-a-million

This site puts it at about 1 million flat

2 year ago On a Reddit DC thread this question was posed: is Boston a lot like DC? The mos popular answer, on the DC thread -was :

Boston has a more concentrated downtown area than DC and is more urban. DC is prettier throughout. They're both east coast cities, so about as similar as any other east coast city.” 157 likes, in DC.

Anecdotally DC never feels more crowded than Boston a lord of that is due to its physical layout. Wide streets and block long buildings.simply not a ton of people going in and out of buildings on the street. Except lunch time.

I also think with 700k people and the nations most congested traffic it goes without saying Boston’s day time population is well over 1 million....
Simply put, DC crushes anywhere in the nation not named NYC in mega-commute. It’s one thing to say a city feels a certain size due to buildout etc, but the amount of people in DC and it’s inner core during business hours is extremely bolstered by commuters from as far as the Philadelphia MSA in Cecil County, MD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ne&no_nav=true

Old 10-29-2020, 02:16 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
IMO no, but these are each close and in the same tier honestly with regards to daytime pace/foot traffic. Each have pretty solid pace 12-14hrs out of the day.
Is that with or without Cambridge?

Old 10-29-2020, 02:29 PM

1,393 posts, read 860,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Is that with or without Cambridge?
Guessing youre being sarcastic..Make university city (which currently isn’t experiencing even close to Cambridge’s growth) and west Philadelphia different cities from Philadelphia and you’d understand

Old 10-29-2020, 02:40 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Simply put, DC crushes anywhere in the nation not named NYC in mega-commute. It’s one thing to say a city feels a certain size due to buildout etc, but the amount of people in DC and it’s inner core during business hours is extremely bolstered by commuters from as far as the Philadelphia MSA in Cecil County, MD.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...ne&no_nav=true
There are people who commute even further than that. The GM at my last job lives in NJ. My wife went to job interview at Loyola college in Baltimore, and she said the guy who interviewed her commutes from NJ daily. I also know someone who works in Baltimore 5 days a week who lives in Boston, and has been doing so for well over 10 years... I kid you not.

Old 10-29-2020, 02:57 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,119,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne999 View Post
Guessing youre being sarcastic..Make university city (which currently isn’t experiencing even close to Cambridge’s growth) and west Philadelphia different cities from Philadelphia and you’d understand
Why do Boston posters get to include Cambridge and Somerville in their core, but we can't even add U City.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
There are people who commute even further than that. The GM at my last job lives in NJ. My wife went to job interview at Loyola college in Baltimore, and she said the guy who interviewed her commutes from NJ daily. I also know someone who works in Baltimore 5 days a week who lives in Boston, and has been doing so for well over 10 years... I kid you not.
Oh I've heard all kinds of one off stories, like NYC to DC commute etc. I was just going with the more realistic...Boston to Baltimore sounds like someone just needs to get up and move outta town.

Old 10-29-2020, 03:15 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Mega commutes aren't rare in Boston either. There are 4 states in our CSA and you have some commuters from Downeast Maine/Portland. But i do think DC traffic in NoVA is just unbearable.

See: https://www.city-data.com/forum/maine...ton-maine.html

Old 10-29-2020, 04:37 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Funny enough, post COVID-19, DC will probably be the only city that doesn’t drop substantially in daytime workers because of the Federal government which isn’t going to allow mass telework. I think cities are about to really see a change to telework in the private sector which will have a huge impact on these numbers going forward all over the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City