Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city for a vacation
Montreal 21 33.33%
Seattle 12 19.05%
Toronto 15 23.81%
Vancouver 8 12.70%
All/None/Not sure 7 11.11%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:04 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times

Advertisements

Architecture: Montreal
Downtown: Toronto
Culture: Toronto
Entertainment: Toronto
Events: Toronto
Food - Pricing and Diversity: Montreal
Museums: Seattle
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban: Montreal
Nightlife: Montreal
Parks: Vancouver
Safety: For a visitor all are safe
Shopping: Seattle
Shows: Toronto
Sports: Toronto
Uniqueness: Montreal

When it comes to food diversity I think that having "more" ethnic restaurants in overrated as a quality. Toronto is obviously the most diverse of the four mentioned, but name one type of cuisine you can find in Toronto that cannot be found in the other 3 cities. The way I rate a cities food scene is its uniqueness and Montreal, Seattle and Vancouver's locally inspired cuisine is much more interesting than Toronto's. Plus if you want to eat Ethnic food you can easily do that in all 3 as well.

Last edited by edwardsyzzurphands; 04-25-2013 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 06:11 AM

3,862 posts, read 5,286,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
As for the NCAA football following compared to the CFL, I'd say the NCAA is more ''big time'' than the CFL (but not the NFL of course), and this in spite of the fact that talent-wise the NCAA is inferior to both the NFL and even the CFL.
Depends on which conference in the NCAA you are a fan of. For example SEC Football has a much higher talent level than the CFL. Consider the 2012 NFL draft; 10 of the 32 picks in the 1st round played in the SEC and 49 players overall were drafted in just last year. How many elite 1st round NFL picks are currently playing in the CFL? And of course there are draft misses, but once that player that slipped by talent evaluators takes his game to the next level, he ends up in the NFL eventually. As a Dolphins fan I can name Cam Wake and Marcus Thigpen as recent examples.

I respect the CFL as a legitimate sport of course and I can see why it is attractive to some people. Personally though I am a huge fan of the defensive side of the game and the start in motion and lack of jamming on the line takes away the physicality that the NFL offers. Plus the NFL has opened up alot recently, last years playoffs were won in the air, taking a look at Joe Flacco's numbers will prove that.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:42 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,010,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Depends on which conference in the NCAA you are a fan of. For example SEC Football has a much higher talent level than the CFL. Consider the 2012 NFL draft; 10 of the 32 picks in the 1st round played in the SEC and 49 players overall were drafted in just last year. How many elite 1st round NFL picks are currently playing in the CFL? And of course there are draft misses, but once that player that slipped by talent evaluators takes his game to the next level, he ends up in the NFL eventually. As a Dolphins fan I can name Cam Wake and Marcus Thigpen as recent examples.

I respect the CFL as a legitimate sport of course and I can see why it is attractive to some people. Personally though I am a huge fan of the defensive side of the game and the start in motion and lack of jamming on the line takes away the physicality that the NFL offers. Plus the NFL has opened up alot recently, last years playoffs were won in the air, taking a look at Joe Flacco's numbers will prove that.
What about the PAC-10 and the Big 10?

My sense is that overall people who follow SEC, PAC-10 and Big 10 don't give much thought to the calibre of play relative to other leagues. I mean, they do find it entertaining and admittedly it is.

But they mostly follow it because it's the thing to do: most everybody in their region does, their father did, their friends and coworkers do, etc.

I am not sure there is as direct a correlation between spectator sports attendance and calibre of play/talent levels as there is with history, tradition, peer pressure and effective marketing.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM

1,717 posts, read 4,648,291 times
Oh and one other rather meaningful distinction...assuming one is vacationing in the summer?

Summers in Seattle and Vancouver are nothing short of glorious. 75-80, no humidity and no bugs.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:30 PM

26 posts, read 61,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Architecture: Montreal
Downtown: Toronto
Culture: Toronto
Entertainment: Toronto
Events: Toronto
Food - Pricing and Diversity: Montreal
Museums: Seattle
Neighborhoods - Urban and suburban: Montreal
Nightlife: Montreal
Parks: Vancouver
Safety: For a visitor all are safe
Shopping: Seattle
Shows: Toronto
Sports: Toronto
Uniqueness: Montreal

When it comes to food diversity I think that having "more" ethnic restaurants in overrated as a quality. Toronto is obviously the most diverse of the four mentioned, but name one type of cuisine you can find in Toronto that cannot be found in the other 3 cities. The way I rate a cities food scene is its uniqueness and Montreal, Seattle and Vancouver's locally inspired cuisine is much more interesting than Toronto's. Plus if you want to eat Ethnic food you can easily do that in all 3 as well.
just wondering. how does Seattle beat Toronto in shopping?

Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemvp6 View Post
just wondering. how does Seattle beat Toronto in shopping?
Knowing both cities well, I would say Seattle doesn't beat Toronto in shopping choices, TO has so much more.
Seattle might beat TO in prices though.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
It depends on the time of year. If you're talking summer time, Seattle is quite possibly the best place in the entire world to be. But if you're talking any period outside of summer, I'd likely give the nod to Montreal.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's all a matter of opinion, but you seriously think Seattle beats Montreal when it comes to food?

What kind of stuff do you like to eat?
I eat all manner of food. I've spent considerable amounts of time in both cities. Montreal isn't even in the same league as Seattle in terms of food, and that's not an opinion - that's simply a fact. There are more high profile chefs here, easier and more readily attainable access to ingredients, and a million other things that give Seattle a leg up in that regard.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:20 AM

580 posts, read 1,180,489 times
I would rather eat in Montreal over Seattle myself. Just an opinion.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:35 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,515,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Montreal isn't even in the same league as Seattle in terms of food, and that's not an opinion - that's simply a fact.
No, that is an opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City