Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The dialect is similar to people down in hampton Roads and parts of North Carolina. Nothing like Georgia, South Carolina, or Florida. I wouldn't call DC northern either. Demographically, DC does not fit. But I wouldn't call it all the way Southern either. Elements of both is the best anyone can say about it. As far as black church traditions, any city with a large Black population will have this except maybe NY and Philly.
Funny you say that considering that the majority of black people in the DC area probably have roots in South Carolina. If you took a random sample of black people in DC or Maryland, people will tell you their parents were from Sumter, Orangeburg, Allendale, Timmonsville, Beaufort, Spartanburg, Ninety Six, Newberry, Goose Creek, Florence, Conway, Marion, Bamberg, Elloree, Estill, Camden, Latta, Bishopville, Hopkins and on and on and on. There's definitely a heavy touch of southerness to the accent despite all protestations to the contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 02:03 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,029,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well let's just say it like this. What he said was people in Maryland say dug for dog. That is true but you have to be more specific. It is not commonly said in PG or Montgomery county. You can go months if not years without hearing somebody say dog that way. Now in Bmore, you'll hear it said far more than you would in any of the DC/Maryland suburbs.
Okay.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Funny you say that considering that the majority of black people in the DC area probably have roots in South Carolina. If you took a random sample of black people in DC or Maryland, people will tell you their parents were from Sumter, Orangeburg, Allendale, Timmonsville, Beaufort, Spartanburg, Ninety Six, Newberry, Goose Creek, Florence, Conway, Marion, Bamberg, Elloree, Estill, Camden, Latta, Bishopville, Hopkins and on and on and on. There's definitely a heavy touch of southerness to the accent despite all protestations to the contrary.
Totally agree.

A lot of people have a hard time admitting anything about them or their area is southern and really take offense at any suggestion of it.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:20 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Totally agree.

A lot of people have a hard time admitting anything about them or their area is southern and really take offense at any suggestion of it.
Because for most people, it simply isn't true. Most blacks in Montgomery County certainly do not come from farther South. Maybe PG county and parts of DC (not the gentrified northwest quadrant which I am familiar with). Also, not everyone from the DC area is Black.

Maryland, DC, and NoVA are Northern with Southern influences, I'd say. Same deal with places like St. Louis, Kansas City, and Delaware. (In contrast, Kentucky is Southern with Northern/Midwestern influences. While most of the Civil War border states became more like the Northeast over time, Kentucky went in the opposite direction.)

Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Because for most people, it simply isn't true. Most blacks in Montgomery County certainly do not come from farther South. Maybe PG county and parts of DC (not the gentrified northwest quadrant which I am familiar with). Also, not everyone from the DC area is Black.
Most people? I don't know about that...but for some people the mere idea of being thought of as southern or associating with anything in the South is very scary. It's kinda funny actually.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_J View Post
Yes, they do. Where do you think they come from? Portland? There are quite a few Africans in MoCo, but they don't constitute the majority of the black population.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:24 PM

178 posts, read 284,049 times
DC isn't Southern, so there's that.

99% of DC-area residents would say they live in the Northeast Corridor, or Mid-Atlantic corridor.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,993,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almont1 View Post
DC isn't Southern, so there's that.

99% of DC-area residents would say they live in the Northeast Corridor, or Mid-Atlantic corridor.
I think an important aspect of determining if a city is southern or not is how the natives identify as such. The overwhelming majority of DC residents do not see themselves as Southerners. I think that needs to be respected.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:28 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,904,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
As a Black native South Carolinian, I have to disagree. Although it's anecdotal on my part, I have Black friends from practically every corner of SC--the Upstate, Lowcountry, Pee Dee, etc.--and the vast majority of family members I and my friends have that moved up north moved to New York, by far. It seems that more Blacks from parts of NC and VA moved to DC.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
As a Black native South Carolinian, I have to disagree. Although it's anecdotal on my part, I have Black friends from practically every corner of SC--the Upstate, Lowcountry, Pee Dee, etc.--and the vast majority of family members I and my friends have that moved up north moved to New York, by far. It seems that more Blacks from parts of NC and VA moved to DC.
And as someone who's actually lived in the DC area, I'll stick by my statement. Have you ever even lived anywhere near Washington, DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City