Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,696,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But you've also got DC kids attending schools like Johnson C. Smith, Livingstone, and Barber C. Scotia (well, when it was in much better shape anyway) in large numbers, which are private and some of which also have accreditation issues. The bigger ones are a given because they are some of the largest in general, particularly A&T.
And that's consistent with the fact that North Carolina has more black colleges. And those schools are nearly as crappy as Allen University. Be serious.

So let me ask again. When did you live in the DC Metro area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2013, 08:41 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Or you could just admit that you don't know anything about DC. You don't. I'm not saying this as a put down. You just don't know much of anything about the area. It's one thing to visit some friends and hit a club or a restaurant and an entirely different thing to be politically engaged in a city and work an entire ward house by house, block by block, and church by church. It's nearly impossible to find data on how many blacks from which states went where (other than the general trend of blacks from the Delta heading to the Midwest and blacks from the Coast heading North). So all we really have to go on is personal experience. And it's worth noting that you have virtually none when it comes to this topic. When the day comes to lecture me on black people in Charlotte, I'm all ears (or eyes). But as far as Washington, DC goes, it's pretty clear you don't know much. I seriously doubt you could even navigate the city little less know much about the people living there.
LMAO! I literally laughed out loud here, especially when you said you weren't saying it as a "put down." The fact of the matter is that you're saying that MOST (not a lot, not many, but MOST) Black people who live in DC are from the state I was born and raised in, where I know people from every part. Nah, you don't know SC as much as you think you do, but I'll let you have it.

Quote:
Um, do you mean like my family, for example? You know, growing up in Philly, I always felt that most black people there tended to have family in southern Virginia. In New York City, I think it's a mix with many coming from as deep as Florida and Georgia and a large number coming from Carolinas and Virginia. But the DC area is BY FAR the most South Carolina heavy place I've ever been to outside of the Deep South. I'm sure you could confirm that if you knew where half of the churches you listed below were.
Actually I do know where those churches are. But DC being "BY FAR" the most SC-heavy place????

Quote:
Wow. It's amazing what Google can do, right? Here's a question Google can't answer for you. What colors were the walls inside of the Ibex?
I didn't use Google for any of that. I was born and raised in the church and have been affiliated with a couple different denominations during my life. I know what I'm talking about here.

Quote:
Only it doesn't support your assertion. It's obvious blacks moved from South Carolina to New York. That does not mean that they don't constitute a plurality of the blacks in the DC area (or that they even constitute the majority of American Blacks in the Tri-State for that matter). That's like citing a source that says Obama attended Occidental and then leaping to the conclusion that he didn't attend Columbia. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Oh, but because I supposedly am unaware of the "fact" that most Blacks in DC are from SC, it means I don't know anything about the city at all? Employ a little of your own logic here good sir.

Quote:
*Yawn* So do you have any personal experience in the DC area? I mean, are you going to work on Kenyan McDuffie's re-election campaign? Did you vote for Anita Bonds or Elissa Silverman for Council at Large? Again, you seem to know a lot about the DC area for someone who visited a few times. Has friends on Facebook from the area. Never lived north of Charlotte, etc.
Oh, so personal experience ONLY means I must have lived there and been politically engaged? C'mon dude, I know you go to great lengths to win any and all arguments, but this is going a bit too far.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanti View Post
Most Blacks in the dc area family comes from eastern North Carolina. South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland comes in the next tier. Rocky Mount, Greenville and Wilson are cities where gogo music gets a lot of rotation in the club.
It's great that you have quite a lengthy posting history in the DC forum and elsewhere to establish your credibility).

Where are all of these DC experts coming from who never post in the DC forum?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Most Blacks in the dc area family comes from eastern North Carolina. South Carolina, Virginia and Maryland comes in the next tier. Rocky Mount, Greenville and Wilson are cities where gogo music gets a lot of rotation in the club.
Uh oh, prepare to be attacked by the omniscient Bajan Yankee! It's coming, I promise you.

Quote:
Seriously, man? How many people in SC talk like the Geechee who pretty much stay on the barrier islands south of Charleston? If you put the average student from W.J. Keenan or Richland Northeast ("RNE" as they say) next to the average student from Gwynn Park or Surrattsville, do you seriously think there would be that great a difference?

By the way, when I said I know significantly more about your own state than you know about DC (or Philly and Brooklyn), I wasn't kidding.
Actually you don't and this displays a good bit of your ignorance right here.

The fact of the matter is that there are various "shades" of the Geechee dialect. The heaviest accents are concentrated along the coast from Georgetown all the way down to Beaufort, but a lighter dialect goes further inland to Hampton, Colleton, Dorchester, Orangeburg, Clarendon, Williamsburg, etc. counties. The DC dialect doesn't even sound like the "Geechee-lite" dialect which characterizes my very own family. Black folks from the Midlands and Upstate, and to a lesser extent the Pee Dee, don't have that particular accent and it surely doesn't sound like this:

**** DC People Say - YouTube

Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
LMAO! I literally laughed out loud here, especially when you said you weren't saying it as a "put down." The fact of the matter is that you're saying that MOST (not a lot, not many, but MOST) Black people who live in DC are from the state I was born and raised in, where I know people from every part. Nah, you don't know SC as much as you think you do, but I'll let you have it.
I'd probably say a plurality. Or close to it. That is the one thing I'd revise about my statement.

And what does it matter that you were born and raised there? Hundreds of thousands of blacks left South Carolina. Are you related to all of them? You clearly aren't related to all of them as I know people who attended OW living in the DC area. And there are a lot of people from that particular county living in the DC area as well as from other parts of the state. It's sort of silly to think that somehow more of them would make it to New York and Philadelphia when the DC area is closer to SC and offers better economic opportunities for blacks (and has for a long time). "I know my people, we don't go to DC." How ridiculous does that sound?

Quote:
I do know where those churches are. But DC being "BY FAR" the most SC-heavy place????
Yes. Much more than NYC. And much more than Philadelphia. Definitely much more than Boston. All three cities that I've lived in, mind you.

Quote:
didn't use Google for any of that. I was born and raised in the church and have been affiliated with a couple different denominations during my life. I know what I'm talking about here.
You don't know about DC. How do your "visits" to the area compare to my living there? You can at least concede that I'm much more familiar with the area than you are, right?

Quote:
, but because I supposedly am unaware of the "fact" that most Blacks in DC are from SC, it means I don't know anything about the city at all? Employ a little of your own logic here good sir.
You just don't know much about the city. You can just admit that, ya know.

Quote:
so personal experience ONLY means I must have lived there and been politically engaged? C'mon dude, I know you go to great lengths to win any and all arguments, but this is going a bit too far.
Yes, it does. How else could you really know anything about the region? You don't even post in the DC forum. I could very well be completely wrong, but at least I can say that I've been a Washingtonian. You can't.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 05-03-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 05-03-2013, 09:03 PM

46 posts, read 79,243 times
I may not post a lot on this forum but I can guarantee that nine out of ten black DC area natives would tell you the same. Uptown DC and Montgomery county have a lot of blacks who familys are from Virginia and Maryland but by far S.E., N.E. and PG are eastern North Carolina. And this is comming from a 40 year Dc native.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Uh oh, prepare to be attacked by the omniscient Bajan Yankee! It's coming, I promise you.
Not omniscient. I just know more about DC than you do. And know more about SC than you do. What year did you finish Orangeburg-Wilkinson, btw?

Quote:
you don't and this displays a good bit of your ignorance right here.

The fact of the matter is that there are various "shades" of the Geechee dialect. The heaviest accents are concentrated along the coast from Georgetown all the way down to Beaufort, but a lighter dialect goes further inland to Hampton, Colleton, Dorchester, Orangeburg, Clarendon, Williamsburg, etc. counties. The DC dialect doesn't even sound like the "Geechee-lite" dialect which characterizes my very own family. Black folks from the Midlands and Upstate, and to a lesser extent the Pee Dee, don't have that particular accent and it surely doesn't sound like this
Right. Where exactly in Orangeburg are you from? How far away from Highway 601 did you live?

Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I may not post a lot on this forum but I can guarantee that nine out of ten black DC area natives would tell you the same. Uptown DC and Montgomery county have a lot of blacks who familys are from Virginia and Maryland but by far S.E., N.E. and PG are eastern North Carolina. And this is comming from a 40 year Dc native.
So we have a 40-year old native from DC on C-D who hardly ever posts in the DC forum (who can't even spell correctly) and a native of Orangeburg, SC who has never lived in the DC area (or New York) as our authoritative sources on this topic?

Right.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
I'd probably say a plurality. Or close to it. That is the one thing I'd revise about my statement.
And if you had actually said that, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation as the implication was that 3 out of 4 native DC'ers are from/have roots in SC.

Quote:
And what does it matter that you were born and raised there? Hundreds of thousands of blacks left South Carolina. Are you related to all of them? You clearly aren't related to all of them as I know people who attended OW living in the DC area. And there are a lot of people from that particular county living in the DC area as well as from other parts of the state. It's sort of silly to think that somehow more of them would make it to New York and Philadelphia when the DC area is closer to SC and offers better economic opportunities for blacks (and has for a long time). "I know my people, we don't go to DC." How ridiculous does that sound?
First of all, DC had Jim Crow laws on the books and it even existed in the federal government during the Wilson Administration, which was when the Great Migration was ramping up. NYC didn't, and it offered more industrial opportunities than DC.

Secondly, VA and NC are even closer to DC than SC, so why wouldn't DC have Black migrants in just as large numbers as SC at the very least?

Thirdly, you're resorting to putting words in my mouth, saying that I said Black people from SC didn't/don't move to DC at all. You're doing waaaayyyyy too much dude, it's really not that serious to go to such lengths. Of course that strawman sounds ridiculous, because that's exactly what it is.

Quote:
Yes. Much more than NYC. And much more than Philadelphia. Definitely much more than Boston. All three cities that I've lived in, mind you.
As a percentage of the population, I could see the argument vs. NYC, but not in sheer numbers. I've not made an argument for Philly or Boston.

Quote:
You don't know about DC. How do your "visits" to the area compare to my living there? You can at least concede that I'm much more familiar with the area than you are, right?
You don't have to live somewhere to know about it; you DO know that, right? Of course I'd say you're more familiar with it, but the converse of that is NOT that I know absolutely NOTHING about it. That's asinine and you know better.

Quote:
Yes, it does. How else could you really know anything about the region? You don't even post in the DC forum. I could very well be completely wrong, but at least I can say that I've been a Washingtonian. You can't.
I know that took a lot to type out and you probably even had a pained expression on your face while doing so. At least you acknowledge that possibility, and it's a very real one BTW.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Not omniscient. I just know more about DC than you do. And know more about SC than you do. What year did you finish Orangeburg-Wilkinson, btw?
You're going way too far. You don't know more about SC than me and I'm definitely not going out of my way to prove that you don't. And I didn't graduate from O-W but another school in the county.

Quote:
Right. Where exactly in Orangeburg are you from? How far away from Highway 601 did you live?
You're getting entirely too personal and it's not that serious, I promise you it's not. But for the record, I grew up a few miles south of the town off Highway 21--which you know nothing about.

I thought we could have a civil, intelligent discussion on the matter especially since I was trying to take it into a more objective direction, but I can see that's not going to happen. You enjoy your weekend sir; I'm getting ready to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City