Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Actually, Andrew, Cleveland's growth in the last few years (and there are areas it has grown) have been in inner city areas such as downtown, Tremont (where entire streets of new houses have sprang from nowhere; Literary Bluffs is loaded with narrow, vertical SF-style homes along the hillside), Ohio City and Detroit-Shoreway. Cuyahoga County's population losses, as well as Cleveland's, appear to be about bottoming out, and these growth areas area expected to offset the losses within the next few years, some experts predict.

As for your comments re popularity driving up prices/driving down affordability, the key phrase you're overlooking is "quality". Few services or things in life are sought after just because we're cheap; otherwise honors students and merit scholars would be eschewing Harvard and putting it out of business while enrolling in community colleges -- instead, Harvard's one of the most expensive colleges in the country AND the most sought after... You don't want to recognize it (because you despise Cleveland), but the residential areas in the region, several in the city, many in the suburbs, collectively offer among the highest quality of living in ANY metro area. That's why there have been, and will continue to be, a ton of transplanted Easterners, especially New Yorkers, who live in greater Cleveland, esp. Cleveland's suburbs, and doubly esp. the eastern suburbs...
... and large part of that, Andrew, isn't just the extremely nice properties, communities, etc., it's also largely Cleveland's sophistication, esp regarding the arts...

[add yet another Andrew dissertation about how much better Chicago is
than Cleveland here ________________]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,253,668 times
Quote:
... and large part of that, Andrew, isn't just the extremely nice properties, communities, etc., it's also largely Cleveland's sophistication, esp regarding the arts...

[add yet another Andrew dissertation about how much better Chicago is
than Cleveland here ________________]

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO! MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU, "THE PROF"!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM

364 posts, read 619,013 times
This is a city vs an abandoned manufacturing plant.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Considering that the Cleveland metro is about half the size of Seattle (Cleveland is 2 million, Seattle 3.9 million) I don't know if this is a fair comparison. Portland is pretty damn boring (I'm a native and still live there) especially in comparison to Seattle, but it also depends on your scene, I think.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:39 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,088 times
Quote:
You don't want to recognize it (because you despise Cleveland)
Why, I do no such thing. Never have. I lived the first 34 years of my life in the Cleveland area, and have many fond memories. Cleveland is OK as far as it goes, but at some point I just wanted something more. I wanted to be part of something bigger and more influential and more international. I used to go to movies that were set in NYC or Chicago and I reveled in the urban bustle and excitement they portrayed, then I'd come home and try to view Cleveland in the same light, as if it were the same, and I just couldn't make that work. I wanted a real big-city lifestyle.

(I used to try to pretend, for example, that my Gold Coast neighborhood, with all its apartment buildings and density, was "like Manhattan". How naive I was! Imagine how deflated I felt when a guy who was a native Manhattanite came to visit me -- he had never been in the neighborhood before -- and he threw up his hands and exclaimed with delight, "Wow -- this is just like Jersey!" )

Quote:
but the residential areas in the region, several in the city, many in the suburbs, collectively offer among the highest quality of living in ANY metro area. That's why there have been, and will continue to be, a ton of transplanted Easterners, especially New Yorkers, who live in greater Cleveland, esp. Cleveland's suburbs, and doubly esp. the eastern suburbs...
What constitutes the "highest quality of living" is quite subjective. Your idea of what that is might be quite a bit different from mine. One trait that I rank very high on my "quality of living" list, for example, is walkability. And I can find no area in Cleveland that even comes close in that regard to what I enjoy now.

And somehow I don't quite buy your assertion that there are "a ton" of transplanted Easterners invading the Cleveland area and setting up housekeeping there. A trickle, maybe, but not a "ton".

Old 06-22-2013, 10:51 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,184,408 times
As far as I'm concerned, picking on cities like Cleveland or Detroit isn't too different than pouring salt in the wound of the puppy you just kicked. Tread carefully!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:58 AM

213 posts, read 449,038 times
Look at this beach. Seattles natural features can NOT touch Cleveland's at all!

Old 08-17-2013, 04:43 AM

30,343 posts, read 19,138,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
This is a city vs an abandoned manufacturing plant.
I can't think of any way Cleveland compares to Seattle except to contrast the past with the future.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:57 AM

4,524 posts, read 5,096,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I can't think of any way Cleveland compares to Seattle except to contrast the past with the future.
Then you are either close minded, or haven't been to Cleveland and are totally basing your opinions on outdated stereotype.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:31 PM

213 posts, read 449,038 times
Quote:
Then you are either close minded, or haven't been to Cleveland and are totally basing your opinions on outdated stereotype.
No, I've been to Cleveland. It's... not good to say the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City