Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 03:28 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
Here's mine:
1-Major Powers/Most important to US/World
NYC, LA, Chicago, Washington, Philadelphia, possibly Houston

2-Very Large/powerful but not top
Phoenix, Atlanta, Jacksonville, Dallas, San Fransisco, Boston, possibly Denver (due to central location + major airport)

3-Moderate power/importance
San Diego, Miami, Minneapolis, Baltimore, Detroit, Austin, Las Vegas, Seattle, Oklahoma City, Indianapolis

4-Little/ no power/importance
Tampa, Richmond, Kansas City, Omaha, Raleigh, Milwaukee, El Paso, Annapolis, Colorado Springs
You have got to be kidding me. I think this is a silly topic, but to list Tampa, KC, Milwaukee in the same breath as El Paso, Annapolis and Co Springs is just dumb.

And I love Denver, but wow, it's average at best on a national scale (same with Baltimore) and does not belong there with Boston, San Fran, Atlanta and what are you smoking with Jacksonville? Have you ever been to any of these cities?

Old 11-20-2009, 03:29 PM

28 posts, read 47,823 times
In the 1990s much of the NE had minor poverty. Boston, Washington, and New York survived this, their housing rates boomed, while Baltimore and Philadelphia coasted. Philadelphia has lost global city status as well, and does not get as much media/global attention as BOS, NY and DC get so that is why the city is in tier 3. Houston is pretty much on the same boat, not much global attention. Is a minor global city but just barely.

Imo.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:31 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
You have got to be kidding me. I think this is a silly topic, but to list Tampa, KC, Milwaukee in the same breath as El Paso, Annapolis and Co Springs is just dumb.

And I love Denver, but wow, it's average at best on a national scale (same with Baltimore) and does not belong there with Boston, San Fran, Atlanta and what are you smoking with Jacksonville? Have you ever been to any of these cities?
Oh wow. I didn't see Jacksonville. Yeah I completely agree with that.

In think the last tier was more or less just listing everyone else.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:36 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
Can't you just list the top 50 cities by order of MSA population and get a pretty solid "tier" list??? Tyring to group the cities will always be problematic. Everybody wants to be in the group above them when the bottom line is that Denver (just an example) can try to hang out with San Fran and Atlanta all they want, but in reality, they are much more of a peer to KC or Milwaukee or Minneapolis than a city has MILLIONS more people...

Old 11-20-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergone View Post
In the 1990s much of the NE had minor poverty. Boston, Washington, and New York survived this, their housing rates boomed, while Baltimore and Philadelphia coasted. Philadelphia has lost global city status as well, and does not get as much media/global attention as BOS, NY and DC get so that is why the city is in tier 3. Houston is pretty much on the same boat, not much global attention. Is a minor global city but just barely.

Imo.
lol! I had your had your back before on your first post, but you should have just left it at that. I'm going to have to call you out on this. This is whole statement is just silly. Especially that last part.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Can't you just list the top 50 cities by order of MSA population and get a pretty solid "tier" list???
GDP would probably be better. there was a long conversation about this about 5 pages back. IMO, GDP is the best way to do this.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:00 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,890,604 times
Only one city is the hub of the universe. Clearly that is tier 1, the rest of the list begins somewhere around tier 50.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:54 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
GDP would probably be better. there was a long conversation about this about 5 pages back. IMO, GDP is the best way to do this.
I agree with this--GDP is pretty solid along with a few caveats for notable exceptions (DC as the seat of the federal government and all that comes with it; the Bay Area due to the hugely disproportionate amount of public and private sector funding in various fields, the educated populace that it attracts, and the results yielded from this; New Orleans which is a fairly small metro but has much greater name recognition than many of its peers; probably a few others).

Old 11-20-2009, 05:19 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,990,056 times
How many times do we need to do these threads?

It's always just a smattering of my city is better than yours/we have a rivalry so I'm going to talk down city X, etc.

Let's make this simple. There are four tier 1 cities that no one on these boards can disagree with:

Washington D.C., New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles

They are the de facto cultural, economic, political and regional powers in the United States.

Then there are the tier 2 cities which come right behind these three, and any of them will one day be a tier one city:

Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco

All six are economic and cultural juggernauts, with some being greater than others in their respective areas, but not enough to be on tier 1 level yet. How they are placed is rather irrelevant in most discussions and is up to a matter of opinion which out paces the other...thus is why I listed them alphabetically.

After those cities, it really doesn't matter. None are as important today as they were previously (Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) or not important enough yet (Charlotte, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver).

That's really all that needs to be said.

/thread done

Old 11-20-2009, 05:25 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
How many times do we need to do these threads?

It's always just a smattering of my city is better than yours/we have a rivalry so I'm going to talk down city X, etc.

Let's make this simple. There are four tier 1 cities that no one on these boards can disagree with:

Washington D.C., New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles

They are the de facto cultural, economic, political and regional powers in the United States.

Then there are the tier 2 cities which come right behind these three, and any of them will one day be a tier one city:

Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco

All six are economic and cultural juggernauts, with some being greater than others in their respective areas, but not enough to be on tier 1 level yet. How they are placed is rather irrelevant in most discussions and is up to a matter of opinion which out paces the other...thus is why I listed them alphabetically.

After those cities, it really doesn't matter. None are as important today as they were previously (Detroit, Cleveland, Pittsburgh) or not important enough yet (Charlotte, Phoenix, Seattle, Denver).

That's really all that needs to be said.

/thread done
Beautifully put! I totally agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City