Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2007, 05:50 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times

Advertisements

Nah, SA belongs in Tier 4 if you are basing it off of economies.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:53 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,108,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Nah, SA belongs in Tier 4 if you are basing it off of economies.
San Antonio has a stronger bigger economy than some of those cities on the tier 4.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:40 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,415,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweethomeSanAntonio View Post
San Antonio has a stronger bigger economy than some of those cities on the tier 4.
Yeah, just some.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:23 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
never saw SA as tier 2. Houston/Dallas maybe.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Tier 1(in order) World Cities that are entities unto themselves.
New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, San Francisco
As far as being famous around the world, I think these 4 are the most known US Cities. They are the epicenters of power in many of the US' most influential business sectors, NY, LA and SF have been the biggest destinations of immigrants in that order for 6 decades now. Washington DC is the most influential political center probably in the world. The nations greatest concentration of wealthy individuals are in NY, LA, SF and DC. Cultural Revolutions and world altering business innovations have begun in these places. All you have to do is say these cities' names and clear images instantly conjur up in peoples minds.

Tier 1a Not quite as iconic as the above, but World Cities nonetheless
Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Seattle, Philadelphia, Detroit, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Denver
Very important US cities, dominate in many areas economically and culturally and are world class in the amenities they offer.

Tier 2
All other Cities.
All in all, a very accurate analysis I would agree.

If there's one thing I might add, St. Louis should probably also be part of your "Tier 1a" category. Despite its declining core city pop. in recent decades, it has...

a. Booming suburbs with massive pop. growth
b. Lots of Fortune 500 companies that still have their HQ there
c. Instantly recognizable icons like the Arch and the Budweiser Clydesdales (beer advertising = powerful stuff )

Old 11-06-2007, 10:29 PM

646 posts, read 813,318 times
[quote=pittnurse70;1930319]Since you did this ranking solely based on size, I would suggest a few adjustments. Omaha has >400,000 people. Richmond has <200,000. They should be switched. Boulder does not even have 100,000, and is irrelevant.

No you're comparing metros with cities standalones, the metro for Richmond is well over a million, Omaha's is about what you stated.

Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Tier-1: New York (sorry Chicago & LA... but NY is in a league of its own)

Tier-2: Chicago, LA

Tier-3: Houston, San Francisco, DC, Boston, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta

Old 11-07-2007, 07:23 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Tier-1: New York (sorry Chicago & LA... but NY is in a league of its own)

Tier-2: Chicago, LA

Tier-3: Houston, San Francisco, DC, Boston, Dallas, Seattle, Miami, Philadelphia, Atlanta

totally agree. i've always considered NY in the league of London, Paris, Tokyo & Hong Kong. and it tops that list

Old 11-07-2007, 09:14 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
All in all, a very accurate analysis I would agree.

If there's one thing I might add, St. Louis should probably also be part of your "Tier 1a" category. Despite its declining core city pop. in recent decades, it has...

a. Booming suburbs with massive pop. growth
b. Lots of Fortune 500 companies that still have their HQ there
c. Instantly recognizable icons like the Arch and the Budweiser Clydesdales (beer advertising = powerful stuff )
I concur.

In that case..
Tier 1(in order) World Cities that are entities unto themselves.
New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, San Francisco
As far as being famous around the world, I think these 4 are the most known US Cities. They are the epicenters of power in many of the US' most influential business sectors, NY, LA and SF have been the biggest destinations of immigrants in that order for 6 decades now. Washington DC is the most influential political center probably in the world. The nations greatest concentration of wealthy individuals are in NY, LA, SF and DC. Cultural Revolutions and world altering business innovations have begun in these places. All you have to do is say these cities' names and clear images instantly conjur up in peoples minds.

Tier 1a Not quite as iconic as the above, but World Cities nonetheless
Chicago, Boston, Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, Seattle, Philadelphia, Detroit, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, Denver, St Louis
Very important US cities, dominate in many areas economically and culturally and are world class in the amenities they offer.

Tier 2
All other Cities.

Old 11-07-2007, 09:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,741,428 times
Hong Kong is in the same league of Chicago, LA. Yes, even though Chicago, LA, Hong Kong are considered alpha world cities, London, Paris, New York & Tokyo are in a league of their own

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
totally agree. i've always considered NY in the league of London, Paris, Tokyo & Hong Kong. and it tops that list
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City