Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 04:36 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times

Advertisements

It's Torontonian's not Torontans and Rob Ford not Bob Ford. I don't mind his policies actually - Toronto has an awesome construction boom going on during his tenure and supports the expansion of the island airport. Our International airport is growing 4.5% per year vs Chicago's O'Hare's negative growth. If smoking Crack Cocaine helps him achieve our goals I'll turn a blind eye to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
How do Torontans here feel about Bob Ford smoking crack?

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

Last edited by fusion2; 05-24-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Businesses/developers have also made some adaptations to squeeze a bit more life out of bad zoning and car-oriented regulations of LA where they cram more retail density out of their lots so you have takes on the strip mall such as this

double decker parking lot alley sort of thing

corner spot double decker

and this triple decker surrounding an underground parking space in the middle of a block

these seemed to be a lot more common in Los Angeles than anywhere else. Yea, stacked strip malls that are pretty ugly, but bustling sometimes anyhow and it's really convenient to live in walking distance to these things. Being near that last one on Sawtelle (along with the other retail near there as well as Santa Monica Blvd just a bit north) for a while was probably the most convenient setup I've had considering what I'd actually frequent.
I'll be honest - I kind of think those are cool looking. I wish they weren't so auto-centric but the double-decker retail feels pretty urban to me, and something I have never seen in any other city (there are a few in Vegas off the Strip). As Los Angeles continues to trend away from the single passenger vehicle, perhaps the surface lots of these strip malls can be converted to patio space or parks:

burgers melrose avenue, los angeles, ca - Google Maps

O

Old 05-24-2013, 04:41 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
Then tell the LA boosters to stop bragging about how their almost a hyper city - they can't have it both ways.
I don't know who you're talking about and I see no reason why what they say should have anything to do with me since I obviously don't share their opinion.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Toronto's gay pride is hardly a local event! As for our mayor's alleged crack cocaine use - I hardly care and as I've mentioned - we are in the biggest construction boom in the western hemisphere so smoke away I say!

Quote:
These are all pretty local except for TIFF though which has a much higher international profile than the other things you've mentioned. Chicago gets big attendance for its events that are arguably less high profile than Lollapalooza just the same with numbers similar to the ones you've posted for Taste of Chicago (which Taste of the Danforth draws from), the Chicago Pride Parade, Puerto Rican Pride Parade, St. Patrick's Day Parade, Chicago Marathon (including spectators, of course; the Chicago Marathon is one of the 6 World Marathon Majors), Chicago Air & Water Show, Chicago Blues Festivals, Chicago Jazz Festival, and Venetian Night. There was Looptopia (a nuit blanche event) for one year, apparently it was handled terribly though and so it never became an annual occurrence.

There is definitely this piece of one-upsmanship though: Canada High - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 05/21/13 - Video Clip | Comedy Central

Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
I'll be honest - I kind of think those are cool looking. I wish they weren't so auto-centric but the double-decker retail feels pretty urban to me, and something I have never seen in any other city (there are a few in Vegas off the Strip). As Los Angeles continues to trend away from the single passenger vehicle, perhaps the surface lots of these strip malls can be converted to patio space or parks:

burgers melrose avenue, los angeles, ca - Google Maps

O
I'd be down with some conversion. While we're at it, I still think that one out of four dingbat apartments should have that overhang parking space turned into a tiki bar.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:45 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Maybe the most unimpressive retort EVER. I couldn't care less about any of your opinions, seriously. FACTS. Do you have any? No? Your medium density argument has already been debunked. Why slam into that brick wall again?

Los Angeles = most densely populated UA in the United States. FACT
Ray, Ray, SMH. Do you think I care what a Angelino native has to say about urbanity? This would be equal to me asking honey boo boo for weight loss advice, just doesn't measure up. I do agree with fitz on one topic and its poking fun at how suburban your cute little Californian metro is. I saw all of those google maps he posted with parking lots everywhere and loads and loads of strip malls. Please do not be angry at me for stating the obvious. LA has over 18 million people in the metro and people can't decide where their DT is located. LA is the ONLY city in the first world without an efficient subway system, how cute.

I will say it again Ray. The stats you are using are skewed and I will prove it!

List of United States urban areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As anyone with a high school education can see.....

The land area of NY is 3,450 sq miles. The land area of LA is 1736. If NY could go down to 1736 sq miles ( same as LA) then NY would have more people.

At the end of the day LA tricks the eye of the weak. They are somewhat dense on paper and then ruin it with crappy transit and strip malls. YUCK!

Stop trying to make LA urban Ray! Stick to what its known for - movie stars, beaches, strip malls, car culture and Mexican food lol.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
I'd be down with some conversion. While we're at it, I still think that one out of four dingbat apartments should have that overhang parking space turned into a tiki bar.
There are so many strip malls that they cannot all be converted into mixed-use in the near future, they might as well make the most of their design. Also many of them are on tiny lots so there really isn't space for large-scale redevelopment, which seems to be what the majority of buildings in Los Angeles are these days.

Also I love the tiki bar idea for the dingbats.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:57 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,413,273 times
Quote:
Ray, Ray, SMH. Do you think I care what a Angelino native has to say about urbanity? This would be equal to me asking honey boo boo for weight loss advice, just doesn't measure up. I do agree with fitz on one topic and its poking fun at how suburban your cute little Californian metro is. I saw all of those google maps he posted with parking lots everywhere and loads and loads of strip malls. Please do not be angry at me for stating the obvious. LA has over 18 million people in the metro and people can't decide where their DT is located. LA is the ONLY city in the first world without an efficient subway system, how cute.

I will say it again Ray. The stats you are using are skewed and I will prove it!

The land area of NY is 3,450 sq miles. The land area of LA is 1736. If NY could go down to 1736 sq miles ( same as LA) then NY would have more people.

At the end of the day LA tricks the eye of the weak. They are somewhat dense on paper and then ruin it with crappy transit and strip malls. YUCK!

Stop trying to make LA urban Ray! Stick to what its known for - movie stars, sprawl, strip malls, car culture and Mexican food lol.

The argument you make for NYC would be a good one if it were part of this discussion, but it isn't. Chicago and Toronto are.

Chicago = 2442 sq miles, population 8.6 million
Los Angeles = 1736 sq miles, 12.2 million

Los Angeles crams more people into less space than Chicago. Toronto has a slightly denser UA, but a much lower population.

On a sidenote, Los Angeles + Inland Empire UA = 2280 sq miles, 14.2 million people, 6200 ppsm. Even with the entire Inland Empire added, Los Angeles would rank a close #2 for the title of densest urbanized area, still ahead of NYC, and way ahead of Chicago.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Stop trying to make LA urban Ray! Stick to what its known for - movie stars, beaches, strip malls, car culture and Mexican food lol.
Weren't you doing the same in the opposite direction by using the CSA over and over again? I don't see the difference. It doesn't seem like you're actually trying to have an interesting discussion on this topic so much as trying to be combative and self-congratulating.

And yea, I can see slicing those stats for NYC but if that stat has Chicago listed with both lower population and larger land area compared to LA, then that isn't going to help you.

Basically, a cutoff such as using something to measure the total area and overall "quality" heatmap from walkscore probably makes the most sense along with some kind of scoring system that takes into account transit routes and frequency.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:01 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,829 times
Quote:
Weren't you doing the same in the opposite direction by using the CSA over and over again? I don't see the difference. It doesn't seem like you're actually trying to have an interesting discussion on this topic so much as trying to be combative and self-congratulating.
Actually, I didn't want to have a discussion at all about it. I already know what the answer is IMO. I started this thread for a friend who is not a member and did not post in here until LA natives started foaming at the mouth snd accusing me of having second accounts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City