Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM

484 posts, read 871,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Cream Man View Post
I started this thread because of a debate with a friend over lunch. LA is clearly the least urban of the three considering they are going to be a so called hyper city without a efficient subway system. LA will also be the only hyper city in the world to feel like a mega city city, took a whopping 33,000 square miles to get 20 million people lol.
I see you're using the whole Los Angeles CSA in this comparison, in which case, LA is clearly the most urban of the three, a lot more than Chicagoland and Greater Toronto Area. Good try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 02:35 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
We are only talking about cities...and in that case, LA is the least urban of the three but it's not like it's suburban either. However, if we extend it out to the burbs, then LA is the densest after awhile. But again, we're talking about the cities...not Pasadena or Schaumburg, IL.

And there is more to "urban" than just density. For me personally, walkability has something to do with that and IMO Los Angeles is not as walkable as Toronto or Chicago.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:38 PM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Loads of after parties too.

Uh, yeah. I opt for daggering.

2013 Caribana Wining On The Lakeshore - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM

580 posts, read 1,180,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
When will it become a hyper-city? If it needs to reach 20 million to do so it may be a few decades off... By then the subway system may be pretty efficient.
By a quick estimate in about 18 years. Maybe 2031....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmykem View Post
I see you're using the whole Los Angeles CSA in this comparison, in which case, LA is clearly the most urban of the three, a lot more than Chicagoland and Greater Toronto Area. Good try though.
No, this would mean LA simply had the highest metro population, not the most urban.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Rofl daggering. Of course you would opt for daggering. I'd also rather be in Carnival in Trinidad or Brazil too. Here's a few other festivals in Chicago (which invented House Music for the record):

Old 05-24-2013, 02:50 PM

484 posts, read 871,498 times
Quote:
We are only talking about cities...and in that case, LA is the least urban of the three but it's not like it's suburban either. However, if we extend it out to the burbs, then LA is the densest after awhile. But again, we're talking about the cities...not Pasadena or Schaumburg, IL.

And there is more to "urban" than just density. For me personally, walkability has something to do with that and IMO Los Angeles is not as walkable as Toronto or Chicago.
No we're not, not according to Ice Cream Man, who is using LA CSA. So again, we're not talking only about cities apparently.

And LA is densest not "after awhile," but rather quickly. In comparing LA and Chicago, after 9 miles or so from around the core of each city, the density of LA far surpasses Chicago's.

You're right, there is more to urban than just density, which taking in the whole metro area, LA is far more built up, more walkable, more PT, more amenities (and any other definition you want to use for urban), than Chicago or Toronto.

5,864 posts, read 15,240,802 times
Quote:

I'm no urban expert but when you talk about walkability LA imo seems to have the most conveniences within walking distance from its neighborhoods. Things like grocery stores, restaurants, retail, movies and so on.

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Rofl daggering. Of course you would opt for daggering. I'd also rather be in Carnival in Trinidad or Brazil too. Here's a few other festivals in Chicago (which invented House Music for the record):
Nice. And here's Akon in the Jungle (aka Trinidad) demonstrating fine daggering form. They even threw in the African drums for maximum, primal appeal.

akon with 15 year old girl on stage - YouTube

We've been going hard since 1688.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I'm no urban expert but when you talk about walkability LA imo seems to have the most conveniences within walking distance from its neighborhoods. Things like grocery stores, restaurants, retail, movies and so on.
You really aren't that familiar with the other cities are you? I grew up going to LA every year of my life until maybe 4 years ago and now I live in downtown Chicago. It is in no way more walkable than Toronto or Chicago. Now, it is more walkable than people might think, but honestly anybody familiar with the three cities knows that LA is the least walkable out of the bunch.

Old 05-24-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Nice. And here's Akon in the Jungle (aka Trinidad) demonstrating fine daggering form. They even threw in the African drums for maximum, primal appeal.

We've been going hard since 1688.
LOL..you and my Trinidadian friend would get along just fine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City