Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 10:05 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,873,555 times

Advertisements

Ok sorry - Toronto consists of 20 ingloo's housing 200 people. We hunt seals in Lake Ontario and when the seal supply runs dry from time to time we resort to Canibalism because the village market has empty shelves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Let's face it. Canadians are simply a superior peoples. It is only a matter of time before we must bow to our northern betters.

Last edited by fusion2; 05-23-2013 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I'm not at all doubting that Chicago has many festivals and world class attractions/events... I just think Toronto's are typically more prolific, bigger and more well known.
Wait, do you honestly think Toronto has something more well known, prolific, and bigger than Lollapalooza? You obviously don't know what Lollapalooza is. I'll give you a hint. There were 270,000 people who attended it last year. I was there in 2011 in the middle of a crowd of about 100,000 for Eminem alone while there were other headliners playing at the same time. It's one of the top music festivals in the entire world and I met people from all around the world who traveled to Chicago just for it. They just recently started one in Chile and Brazil.

Spring Awakening last year drew 50,000 people. EDC is one of the largest electronica festivals in the world.

The average attendance of CMF is 50,000-100,000. Meaning Lollapalooza draws 3-5 times more people than what's supposedly the largest music festival in Canada.

Last edited by marothisu; 05-23-2013 at 10:23 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM

Ok great - and this makes it bigger than TIFF, Caribana (has lots of music and 1.3 million revellers), Toronto's massive Gay pride or bigger theatre scene and much larger zoo? Not really

I will give Chicago these as well - more latin festivals and a bigger food festival but on the whole I still don't think it is a bigger festival/event or cultural powerhouse. Again I've also given Chicago's museum a slight edge over T.O though Toronto really is upping its game on the Museum front...

Here's another one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG_Fashion_Week

2nd largest fashion week in N.A after NYC (not sure about the Caribbean though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Wait, do you honestly think Toronto has something more well known, prolific, and bigger than Lollapalooza? You obviously don't know what Lollapalooza is. I'll give you a hint. There were 270,000 people who attended it last year. I was there in 2011 in the middle of a crowd of about 100,000 for Eminem alone while there were other headliners playing at the same time. Spring Awakening last year drew 50,000 people. EDC is the largest electronica festival in the US.

The average attendance of CMF is 50,000-100,000. Meaning Lollapalooza draws 3-5 times more people than what's supposedly the largest music festival in Canada.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:28 PM

Toronto is a great city, but they do NOT have a music festival larger than Lollapalooza. It's one of the most well known music festivals around the world and one of the big three largest and most prolific in the US along with Bonaroo and Coachella. It's a good deal bigger than CMF.

Even Spring Awakening last year was around the same size as CMF and this festival is barely known outside of...well..who knows. Not the US that's for sure

Quote:
I will give Chicago these as well - more latin festivals and a bigger food festival but on the whole I still don't think it is a bigger festival/event or cultural powerhouse. Again I've also given Chicago's museum a slight edge over T.O as well but imo doesn't bring it on top.
Really, which Latin festivals? There are not that many in Chicago. I know of the Latino Film Festival, Puerto Rican Independence stuff...and that's all I can name.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:37 PM

I'm not doubting what you are saying about Lollapalooza I don't think you are understanding that I am speaking big picture and overall. Sure either city is going to have bigger individual elements than the other. Additionally - Chicago IS a great city I know that and love it.

I read somewhere there are some Mexican and Puerto Rican festivals that are pretty big actually - a few hundred thousand in each - Toronto doesn't have such large latin festivals though we would have larger Italian, Greek, Polish, South Asian and Indian one's for sure.

Quote:
Toronto is a great city, but they do NOT have a music festival larger than Lollapalooza. It's one of the most well known music festivals around the world and one of the big three largest and most prolific in the US along with Bonaroo and Coachella. It's a good deal bigger than CMF.

Even Spring Awakening last year was around the same size as CMF and this festival is barely known outside of...well..who knows. Not the US that's for sure

Really, which Latin festivals? There are not that many in Chicago. I know of the Latino Film Festival, Puerto Rican Independence stuff...and that's all I can name.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You forgot Pitchfork.
Oh yeah...not bad last year with an attendance of 50,000.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
I'm not doubting what you are saying about Lollapalooza I don't think you are understanding that I am speaking big picture and overall. Sure either city is going to have bigger individual elements than the other. Additionally - Chicago IS a great city I know that and love it.

I read somewhere there are some Mexican and Puerto Rican festivals that are pretty big actually - a few hundred thousand in each - Toronto doesn't have such large latin festivals though we would have larger Italian, Greek, Polish, South Asian and Indian one's for sure.
You didn't understand that is what I was saying before. I was speaking with Lollapalooza because you said nothing in Chicago is more epic and bigger than what Toronto has, and I used Lollapalooza as an example. Yes but Chicago is more than just Lollapalooza. The ones I listed alone (not to mention Pitchfork) get tens of thousands of people each for the most part and some are known from around the world, such as Pitchfork, EDC, and Lollapalooza and ramping up to be that way for Spring Awakening. Ravinia is also the oldest outdoor music festival in the US in which 600,000 people attend every year. Spring Awakening alone had as much attendance as Canada's largest festivals and it's not even known outside of the US and a few "in the know" people around the world.

Mexican festivals, I may have missed that. I know the Puerto Rican one is big but it's not hundreds of thousands. Mexican festival I could believe that. I know of a big Mexican market in the summer.

Honestly though, even the biggest NYC homers who have actually spent a summer in Chicago will tell you it's probably the best large city in the summer in the US if not N. America.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 PM

Well I can list my stuff off about Toronto and you can about Chicago and we won't sway the other. Personally - I think I've riffled off some pretty convincing arguments in favour of Toronto and again - it isn't to slight Chicago in the least. I know Chicago is a world class city with the events and attractions and size to back that up - but Toronto and largely because of larger growth in the last few decades and in particular due to cultural and social diversity really has a huge list of items to back up its claim to being right up there at the top in N.A and I stand by what I've said about it edging Chicago in terms of being the more prominent in terms of festivals, events and attractions.

Quote:

Honestly though, even the biggest NYC homers who have actually spent a summer in Chicago will tell you it's probably the best large city in the summer in the US if not N. America.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:50 PM

50 Best Music Festivals in the World by CNN:

50 music festivals for the summer | CNN Travel

Two Chicago festivals are listed (Pitchfork and Lollapalooza). Zero for Toronto. The closest is WEMF which is 200 miles north of Toronto.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:02 PM

I really enjoy the Nuit Blanche Festival where Downtown Toronto is turned into on overnight artist's playground in the streets and select buildings

Nuit Blanche Toronto photos 2012

Quote:
50 Best Music Festivals in the World by CNN:

50 music festivals for the summer | CNN Travel

Two Chicago festivals are listed (Pitchfork and Lollapalooza). Zero for Toronto. The closest is WEMF which is 200 miles north of Toronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City