Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well that's the plan - except the new system will be 10x better than outdated streetcars. Expo, Gold and Blue Lines all run on old ROWs. The Crenshaw Line (which just won a huge victory today with two more stations getting funding) will also run on old ROWs for a portion of its routing (the rest will be subway down Crenshaw and a small portion that is street-running).

But for those that love streetcars, LA is getting a a line downtown along Broadway and Fig (paid for by the residents within the routing).
Yeah I have heard that and it's great. Light rail/street cars can be real great. I wish we had one although the train system is adequate, it's not an awesome street car system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yeah I have heard that and it's great. Light rail/street cars can be real great. I wish we had one although the train system is adequate, it's not an awesome street car system.
Well I would kill for LA to have the grade-separation on all lines like Chicago has - the best thing about LA's LRT is that for the most part it is grade separated (where it is not, it can be brutally slow). I would say I wish we had Chicago's system entirely but the LA system is much more modern and therefore in better condition - which is probably the only aspect in which LA's rail system is better.

I believe I read that Chicago is investing in Rapid Buses (limited stops, articulated buses, pre-boarding payment) similar to those in Los Angeles (though some of the lines lack a few of these features). They are seriously pretty awesome and make the bus-riding experience much better - that and smartphone technology.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,907,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Well I would kill for LA to have the grade-separation on all lines like Chicago has - the best thing about LA's LRT is that for the most part it is grade separated (where it is not, it can be brutally slow). I would say I wish we had Chicago's system entirely but the LA system is much more modern and therefore in better condition - which is probably the only aspect in which LA's rail system is better.
I have never been in LA's trains honestly. I have used the buses though. The CTA though is modernizing everything. They are spending $2 billion for new train cars. They have already replaced many of the cars with newer 5000 series that are more up to date but they will spend more money on even newer ones:

CTA to spend $2 billion for 846 new rail cars - Chicago Tribune

They are also spending $330 million for new buses.
CTA Adding New Buses to the Tune of $330 Million - CTA Tracker - Curbed Chicago

On top of that, they are currently renovating 40% of the Red Line track (so the new cars referenced above can go on it too but to also make the travel times faster), and some stations along there:

Deprecated Browser Error

They are actually spending $1 billion to remodel many stations which some have already been completed. They are also building a new Green Line station on the near-ish south side by sometime next year.

Quote:
I believe I read that Chicago is investing in Rapid Buses (limited stops, articulated buses, pre-boarding payment) similar to those in Los Angeles (though some of the lines lack a few of these features). They are seriously pretty awesome and make the bus-riding experience much better - that and smartphone technology.
They already have one in place on the south side here, but it's not a TRUE brt but it's kind of a hybrid in a way. However, they have agreed to creating a real BRT for 17 miles to be completed in a few years:

Deprecated Browser Error

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,846,871 times
Quote:
They already have one in place on the south side here, but it's not a TRUE brt but it's kind of a hybrid in a way. However, they have agreed to creating a real BRT for 17 miles to be completed in a few years:

Deprecated Browser Error
I wouldn't call the Rapid Buses in LA true BRT either - The Orange Line definitely is, and the Silver Line is sort of a hybrid to, it doesn't have dedicated lanes, shares HOV lanes on the 110 and 10 freeways, and is street-running in mixed traffic through DTLA.

I like that project you linked to, Los Angeles is going to be adding a Wilshire "BRT" project in the next year or so that will have bus-only lanes through the "Midtown" section (Westlake and City-West) to Wilshire Center. The lanes will only be bus-only during rush hour though.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:45 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,454,351 times
Quote:
Here I mention Chicago and that if you take into account buses, it has a higher ridership than DC and possibly Montreal. When am I ever talking about Toronto here? I'm not. Just because the thread says "Toronto" in it doesn't mean I have to talk about TORONTO in every. damn. message.
You don't. But others can add information on Toronto.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 10,164 times
LA is the most urban!We are the densest on paper! LA Live is amazing! Chicago and Toronto can keep their crummy transit, subways are dirty. LA is more walkable too, don't see how many can go outside when everything is covered in snow. LA has perfect weather.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:39 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
I'm not at all doubting that Chicago has many festivals and world class attractions/events... I just think Toronto's are typically more prolific, bigger and more well known.

Quote:
Uh, Chicago has a TON of festivals/events in the summer. Some people move here just for the summer so they can experience it, no joke. It is probably the best city in the summer in regards to at least events in the US. There are smaller street festivals ever weekend, multiple at a time usually, not to mention a slew of other crap. According to Chicagonow.com, there's over 400 neighborhood street festivals this summer in Chicago. This is not counting what I'm about to list or many other events that aren't necessarily "street festivals."

Just music festivals alone:
* Lollapalooza 2013 | August 2-4, 2013 : Grant Park : Chicago, IL
* Electric Daisy Carnival Chicago - Presented by Insomniac Events
* Spring Awakening Music Festival 2013
* North Coast Music Festival
* Wavefront Music Festival 2013
* Lineup – Riot Fest
* City of Chicago :: Chicago Blues Festival
* City of Chicago :: Chicago Jazz Festival
* Classical Concerts in Millennium Park | The Grant Park Music Festival
* Ravinia Festival - Official Site
* City of Chicago :: Taste of Chicago

And many more. These are some of the big ones and there's other ones such as Wicker Park Fest

Chicago actually has two gay festivals. One is the pride parade which is one of the largest in the country and the second is called MarketDays which has a lot of performers too but attracts a few hundred thousand on its own Northalsted Market Days® | Northalsted

Or stuff like this even: City of Chicago :: Chicago Air and Water Show

TONS of other stuff I'm not even listing. That's just off the top of my head. There's stuff happening all over the city pretty much every day of the summer.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:45 PM

Get over the boosterism nonsense.. lord this is city vs city - naturally people are going to list off the top points of a perspective city. Nothing I've said about Toronto in terms of its festivals/attraction/events are made up and are widely supported. Toronto's gay pride, largest in N.A and amongst the largest in the world, Caribana is one of the largest street festivals in N.A, Tiff the most screenings of any film festival in the world and top two in importance, The Toronto zoo one of the largest in the world and Chicago has nothing close, third largest English speaking theatre scene in the world etc etc... it is my opinion that these and more make Toronto more prominent in terms of festivals, events and attractions than Chicago - why is that wrong!?

Quite frankly - if someone from Toronto itemizes the city's attractions and accolades they are accused of boosterism.. Heck if I were from Peterborough i'd say that my city's claim to fame was the worlds highest hydrolic dual lock boat lift, or if I were from St John's i'd say my city has per capita more pubs than any in N.A - ain't nothing wrong with that and I shouldn't get attacked for boosterism - it's sad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You're right. I missed the seasonal part. I must admit to sometimes getting bedazzled by the boosterism (Toronto-this, Toronto-that...).

It is true that the Chicago area doesn't have anything like Wonderland nearby.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM

I'm sure six flags Great America is great but Canada's Wonderland it is not in terms of number of coasters, total rides and number of visitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post

Old 05-23-2013, 09:59 PM

I'm keeping it between U.S and Canada.. sure carnivals in the Caribbean are going to be better and more authentic. I know you don't like Caribana simply because it is in Toronto.

Don't know enough about Eastern Parkway will look into it - but Caribana Is impressive and I doubt there is anything close to like it in Chicago!?!?

The Taste is massive agreed but it is largely a food festival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Eastern Parkway Brooklyn Labor Day gets a much larger turnout than Caribana, if attendance is how you measure "largest".

Either way there are a few other Carnivals in North America that are in another league than Caribana, you know like the real ones in Trinidad, Grenada, Barbados and every single other West Indian country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City