Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better: Phoenix or San Deigo?
Phoenix 18 26.47%
San Deigo 50 73.53%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:56 PM

669 posts, read 916,459 times

Advertisements

Ok since the last one was deleted for not providing specific criteria here it goes; which offer a better quality of life after considering all things like things to do, cost of living, location, laws, how it operates, crime rate, lifestyle, people etc. Pretty much everything you can think of the city.

There you go, specific enough I would say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
Well I live in Phoenix (not by choice it's just where the good Lord allowed me to be born and raised). I do love Phoenix because it's home but I love San Diego for many reasons as well. At the end of the day though I would choose the Phoenix area because although I like to vaca in CA I personally do not like the direction California is going in and wouldn't choose to live there long term.

COL: Phoenix is obviously much more affordable than SD but keep in mind the wages are lower too
Location:San Diego wins this hands down. The beach never gets old especially when the weather in SD is nice year round
Laws: Ehh no matter where you live there will be laws you like and dislike. Toss up....
How it operates: The mindset of the people is basically the same. People in Phoenix have a SoCal mindset and both cities are split politically
Crime Rate: I'm almost positive Phoenix has a slightly higher crime rate. SD is a fairly safe city.
Lifestyle/People: The people in both cities act similar and have that westcoast chill, live and let live attitude.

There's my list. As much as I love SD another thing that keeps me paranoid are earthquakes. If I did live in CA that would be on my mind constantly. Phoenix on the other hand is pretty safe from natural disasters. The summers in Phoenix do suck though and many leave the desert for SD as much as possible (me included). The Phoenix area is nice though and offers everything San Diego does besides the beach, Sea World, and good sea food. It's also not as touristy and it's a gazillion times less crowded than SoCal and there's just more room to breathe. Basically I would rather live in Phoenix and vacation in SD.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:24 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,895,906 times
I actually like Phoenix, but other than COL, I'm not sure Phoenix compares very well to SD. I personally love SD, one of my favorite cities. Sorry Phoenix.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:06 AM

669 posts, read 916,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
COL: Phoenix is obviously much more affordable than SD but keep in mind the wages are lower too
Actually I meant cost of living compared to salary. I would think San Deigo is obviously more expensive being next to the coast but I am too lazy to look it up now. But then again Phoenix gives you one of the closest access to the Grand Canyon which is far more of significance then some beaches. But yeah I would think San Deigo is still more expensive.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,980,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyuusr View Post
Actually I meant cost of living compared to salary. I would think San Deigo is obviously more expensive being next to the coast but I am too lazy to look it up now. But then again Phoenix gives you one of the closest access to the Grand Canyon which is far more of significance then some beaches. But yeah I would think San Deigo is still more expensive.
Your dollar will stretch farther in Phoenix (hence all of the ex californians living there).....I guess that's a good way to sum it up.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:40 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBoyDJ View Post
There's my list. As much as I love SD another thing that keeps me paranoid are earthquakes. If I did live in CA that would be on my mind constantly. Phoenix on the other hand is pretty safe from natural disasters.
I don't think a single person has ever died from an earthquake in San Diego nor has a quake ever caused major damage, at least not in recorded history. It's pretty far from the San Andreas Fault and has a much lower risk compared to LA and SF.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think a single person has ever died from an earthquake in San Diego nor has a quake ever caused major damage, at least not in recorded history. It's pretty far from the San Andreas Fault and has a much lower risk compared to LA and SF.
Yeah it makes no sense at all - people from all over the country talking about how scared they are of earthquakes in California and how they could never move there because of the threat of natural disaster (fire and earthquakes). Meanwhile people within their own state (or even their) homes are destroyed by hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding - all of which happen on an annual basis.

Earthquakes that do major damage are a rare occurrence - maybe once every couple of decades, if that. The wildfires are more common but for the most part only effect hillside neighborhoods or the very edges of suburban sprawl. For example, living in the LA basin (or central San Diego), your risk from wildfires has to be close to 0%. I can't recall anyone dying from our wildfires (other than firefighters), it's just property damage.

However, the poster is correct that Phoenix is probably more protected from natural disasters (you know, unless there is a blackout or major power-outage in the summer). San Diego's biggest risk is probably a tsunami, which would only effect the coastal neighborhoods.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:36 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,668,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
Yeah it makes no sense at all - people from all over the country talking about how scared they are of earthquakes in California and how they could never move there because of the threat of natural disaster (fire and earthquakes). Meanwhile people within their own state (or even their) homes are destroyed by hurricanes, tornadoes, flooding - all of which happen on an annual basis.

Earthquakes that do major damage are a rare occurrence - maybe once every couple of decades, if that. The wildfires are more common but for the most part only effect hillside neighborhoods or the very edges of suburban sprawl. For example, living in the LA basin (or central San Diego), your risk from wildfires has to be close to 0%. I can't recall anyone dying from our wildfires (other than firefighters), it's just property damage.

However, the poster is correct that Phoenix is probably more protected from natural disasters (you know, unless there is a blackout or major power-outage in the summer). San Diego's biggest risk is probably a tsunami, which would only effect the coastal neighborhoods.
People always seem to be afraid of other area's natural disasters. But I do agree Phoenix is probably on the low end for natural disasters.

SD's biggest natural disaster threat I've seen have been wildfires, in 2003 and 2007 were pretty major. People definitely died in both of those. Deaths do occur when people don't heed evacuation warnings and wait until it's too late. That is probably SD's biggest threat and yeah you can for the most part avoid that by living close to the coast but the fires can race through the canyons and actually come within a 5 or so miles of the coast. It's definitely a hazard in inland suburbs in SD like Scripps Ranch, Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, etc... In La Malibu has had several major wildfires in the past but it's not like most of the coast of SoCal where people live.

Not that tsunami's aren't a risk but again there's never actually been any deaths or major damage from one in Southern CA. It would have to be a mighty big quake somewhere else to produce one to cause a lot of damage in Southern Ca as the faults off CA generally don't produce tsunamis.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,863,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
People always seem to be afraid of other area's natural disasters. But I do agree Phoenix is probably on the low end for natural disasters.

SD's biggest natural disaster threat I've seen have been wildfires, in 2003 and 2007 were pretty major. People definitely died in both of those. Deaths do occur when people don't heed evacuation warnings and wait until it's too late. That is probably SD's biggest threat and yeah you can for the most part avoid that by living close to the coast but the fires can race through the canyons and actually come within a 5 or so miles of the coast. It's definitely a hazard in inland suburbs in SD like Scripps Ranch, Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, etc... In La Malibu has had several major wildfires in the past but it's not like most of the coast of SoCal where people live.

Not that tsunami's aren't a risk but again there's never actually been any deaths or major damage from one in Southern CA. It would have to be a mighty big quake somewhere else to produce one to cause a lot of damage in Southern Ca as the faults off CA generally don't produce tsunamis.
Good point I forgot about that.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:58 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,904,773 times
I will choose San Diego for better weather and being close to the coast.

Last edited by ATUMRE75; 06-13-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City