Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: H-Town vs. L.A.
Los Angeles 483 66.53%
Houston 243 33.47%
Voters: 726. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM

6,291 posts, read 7,498,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've not heard of the City of Lights before. I have heard of City of the Angels.

Maybe I was thinking about the lyrics to L.A> woman

"Are you a lucky little lady in the City of Light
Or just another lost angel?
City of Night, City of Night,
City of Night, City of Night, whoa, c'mon"

Yes City of Angels too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I've not heard of the City of Lights before. I have heard of City of the Angels.
That's because The City of Lights is Paris not Los Angeles.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I was about to say the same. There is only one city of lights and it's not in the US.

For Houston. I like the Bayou City nickname or Magnolia City. When I think Bayou I think Southern Louisiana and Houston.
It was the poster Nairobi that first lead me to look up the nickname "Magnolia City". I thought it was strange because being a native of the Houston area I had never heard of that moniker before. But I looked it up and sure enough before any of us were around that was one of Houston's original Nicknames.

Bayou City, Space City, and now H-town are the ones I am most familiar with.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
It was the poster Nairobi that first lead me to look up the nickname "Magnolia City". I thought it was strange because being a native of the Houston area I had never heard of that moniker before. But I looked it up and sure enough before any of us were around that was one of Houston's original Nicknames.

Bayou City, Space City, and now H-town are the ones I am most familiar with.
Magnolia City because there were once a lot of Magnolia trees in the area. This nickname only applies to certain areas east of downtown now though.

Old 02-04-2014, 03:33 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
That's because The City of Lights is Paris not Los Angeles.
Oh, Paris? I would pick Las Vegas! With all those neon signs.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:06 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,416,286 times
Quote:
EXACTLY

Watch any Hollywood space movie & Houston/Mission Control is always in the picture. They never mention Los Angeles. Why, because its not "America's Space City".

Houston's police cars & other emergency vehicles have "Space City USA" written on their side & arm patches. Its all over the city & even local businesses & other non profit organizations use it in their name. Quite common actually. So yeah...Obama snubbed Texas on a retired shuttle for California because we didn't vote for him big deal. We all know who the real Space City is & always will be.

There are currently plans to build a Spaceport in Houston for future space travel so the 45 year old moniker isn't going away any time soon...

Local businesses

Nightlife

Pool tournament

Record label

Softball tournament

L.A. got a shuttle because it deserved one.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:09 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
The real space city is where spacely sprockets lives - also the Jetsons - Maybe that is Houston

Who cares about Space City or any nicknames really - but do think Space City is not as widely used outside of Houston as many others...

I actually like Houston but prefer LA for many reasons, losing to LA does not make a place bad IMHO - LA is pretty special

Last edited by kidphilly; 02-04-2014 at 04:19 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
L.A. got a shuttle because it deserved one.
It was politically motivated, not because they deserved it. They being Los Angeles & NYC.

Obama gave shuttles to the states he needed to win in the 2012 election & of course Texas didn't vote for him so we got snubbed. NASA administrator Charles Bolden was acting as Obama's little puppet even though deep inside he wanted the orbiter to go to Houston. As a former marine & Houston resident he even said so prior to talks of where the shuttles might end up after retirement. That was in 2009. Funny how the tables were turned come election time.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-04-2014 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-04-2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
The real space city is where spacely sprockets lives - also the Jetsons - Maybe that is Houston

Who cares about Space City or any nicknames really - but do think Space City is not as widely used outside of Houston as many others...

I actually like Houston but prefer LA for many reasons, losing to LA does not make a place bad IMHO - LA is pretty special
I agree, but let me offer this tid bit of analysis. If you look at the West vs South poll on the city vs city forum you will find a similar result as what we are seeing in this thread

The West 62 70.45%The South 26 29.55%

Los Angeles 298 66.52%Houston 150 33.48%

So Houston is actually doing a little better than the South lol

I'm not saying it's all about regionalism, but I'm sure that has some part in all these comparative polls..

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-vs-south.html

Old 02-04-2014, 04:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
It was politically motivated, not because they deserved it. They being Los Angeles & NYC.

Obama gave shuttles to the states he needed to win in the 2012 election & of course Texas didn't vote for him so we got snubbed. NASA administrator Charles Bolden was acting as Obama's little puppet even though deep inside he wanted the orbiter to go to Houston. He even said so prior to talks of where the shuttles might end up after retirement. That was in 2009. Funny how the tables were turned come election time.
Youll never been able to prove that. No one will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City