Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best downtown shopping
Boston 9 15.25%
Minneapolis 4 6.78%
Philadelphia 5 8.47%
San Francisco 39 66.10%
Seattle 11 18.64%
Washington, DC 2 3.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 11:06 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times

Advertisements

Nationally:

1. NYC
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 11:11 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Sorry the thread is about downtown shoping I wouln't include Frankklin Mills Outlet Mall. Macy's and Kmart are downtown though.Saks Of Fifth is in the outlet mall.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:17 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Nationally:

1. NYC
2. San Francisco
3. Chicago
4. Boston
5. Seattle
People might quibble about SF and Chicago but this is a solid Top 5 imo.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,689,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Sorry the thread is about downtown shoping I wouln't include Frankklin Mills Outlet Mall. Macy's and Kmart are downtown though.Saks Of Fifth is in the outlet mall.
There is also a Marshall's in Center City Philadelphia. There is also a Saks Fifth and Lord and Taylor on City Avenue, not just in the Outlet Mall. There is also another Macy's in Northeast Philadelphia and several Targets throughout the city. Again, most of the high end shopping is in King of Prussia, Willow Grove and Cherry Hill. Of course, Center City is definitely stepping up it's game though.

Moving away from department stores though, since they are not the only form of shopping, there is plenty of high end and mid-ranged shopping in Center City Philadelphia, University City and the surrounding "core" neighborhoods as well as endless local stores, boutiques and mom and pop stores to satisfy anyone and to best most cities in the country. I ranked the cities fairly if you ask me.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 PM

494 posts, read 804,322 times
Quote:

meh.. Personally i like to see a wide array of offerings as far as this goes and not just the couple of nationally known places. But that's me..

http://www.centercityphila.org/docs/CCR2012_Retail.pdf

Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 PM

1,581 posts, read 2,823,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
There is also a Marshall's in Center City Philadelphia. There is also a Saks Fifth and Lord and Taylor on City Avenue, not just in the Outlet Mall. There is also another Macy's in Northeast Philadelphia and several Targets throughout the city. Again, most of the high end shopping is in King of Prussia, Willow Grove and Cherry Hill. Of course, Center City is definitely stepping up it's game though.

Moving away from department stores though, since they are not the only form of shopping, there is plenty of high end and mid-ranged shopping in Center City Philadelphia, University City and the surrounding "core" neighborhoods as well as endless local stores, boutiques and mom and pop stores to satisfy anyone and to best most cities in the country. I ranked the cities fairly if you ask me.
Yes but the thread is about downtown shoopping so if comparing we would compare downtown to downtown.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:31 PM

494 posts, read 804,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

I think some have dated views of Philly and thus see it before the turn around. It blows me away at the improvements center city Philly has seen in recent years and it continues strong as that article i linked to shows.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
I think some have dated views of Philly and thus see it before the turn around. It blows me away at the improvements center city Philly has seen in recent years and it continues strong as that article i linked to shows.
Exactly. Thank you. It is clear some have dated views and really don't know how well Philly has turned around.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Yes but the thread is about downtown shoopping so if comparing we would compare downtown to downtown.
Okay well. High end stores I can think of off the top of my head.

Banana Republic
Burberry
Armani Exchange
Zara
Lacoste
Tiffany & Co.
Barney's New York
Ralph Lauren
The Art of Shaving
Juicy Couture
Club Monaco
GUESS
BCBG Max Azria
Jones New York
Williams Sonoma
Brooks Brothers
Cole Haan
Lululemon
Ann Taylor
Kenneth Cole
Aerosoles
Swarovski
American Apparel
Coach
Talbots
Lucky Brand Jeans
West Elm
True Religion
Steve Madden
Arden B.
Bebe
Diesel
MAC
L'Occitane en Provence
Apple
Kiehl's
Tumi
Lagos
Joan Shepp
Boyds
3 Lofts
2 H&M's
Victoria's Secret
Express
JoS A. Bank
J. Crew
Intermix
Nine West
Aldo
Men's Wearhouse
Allen Edmonds
Suitsupply
2 Urban Outfitters (1 flagship)
Free People (flagship)
Anthropologie (flagship)
Ulta Beauty (flagship)
Macy's (flagship)
etc. etc. etc.

There are plenty of rumors of new stores opening as well from Uniqlo, Nordstrom, Bloomingdale's, Kate Space, Forever 21, White House Black Market, Michael Kors, Hollister, DSW, Charlotte Russe, Abercrombie, American Eagle, Madwell, Theory, Camper, Stuart Weitzman, another Urban Outfitters. As well as some possible moves to the less expansive rentals on Chestnut Street from Arden B. Joan Shepp, Anne Klein which will free up some prime space on Walnut. As well as a ton of retail space under construction.

That's not good shopping? That's not including everything else in the shopping spectrum. Not to mention, Philadelphia has some awesome local stores, boutiques and mom and pop stores that sell stuff you are looking for. You don't always need national chains.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:51 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,237,207 times
Dt Philadelphia shopping is not bad at all but compared to some of the others it just sits 4th imo. Being the largest city of the bunch, which people sometimes mention you would think it would be tops but size means nothing. As far as independent stores go I know dt San Francisco and dt Seattle have tons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City