Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 07:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,438 times

Advertisements

To live SF, to visit Miami.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 07:46 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDPMiami View Post
Beaches/water sports are all head and shoulders better here than the Bay Area. Skiing/Snowboarding and hiking in a mountain is better there. I'm a water person, so I pick Miami. However to get to those mountains and hiking is a bit of drive out of the city of SFran, to get to my beach, boat is literally a 5 minute walk for me.

Miami > SF.

Don't know, maybe. I don't go to Museums. Do you? How often are you in a museum?

There is Everglades, Orlando, Bahamas, Cuba, Florida Keys, and a plethora of Caribbean islands nearby here. Near San Francisco, there are a plethora of natural parks as well as you mention Sonoma/Napa.

This falls under the attractions category.

Maybe, San Francisco is very beautiful but so is Miami. It's very lush and green, surrounded by turquoise Caribbean colored waters, white sands, coconut palms and tropical vegetation. San Francisco has hills, mountains in the distance, and a deep blue ocean.

South Beach is a more interesting urban neighborhood than anything what San Francisco has to offer imo, simply due to the beach, the art deco, the neon lights, the pedestrian activity, the pulsating music. It feels like America's Copacabana.
On museums and the like, yea, that's pretty much a landslide. For a huge metropolitan region, Miami's museums are surprisingly small and rinkydink. I go to museums or events at museums maybe once or twice a month and they're fantastic. They're an important part of intellectual life in some cities and it doesn't seem to me that Miami has much of it.

Old 05-01-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
It's jealousy honey.

I know you read my posts even though I'm on your ignore list. I have been to San Francisco many times, it's your comments that betray you never been to Miami Beach (patio seating with umbrella, which is extraordinarily rare here, most seating is on the sidewalk).

But no I'm not well traveled, I just jet back from Tokyo and Miami, cheers
It's not that rare. There are at least two places with it on the small main stretch of Ocean Drive and one of them is pretty huge taking up a big corner. I can see somebody visiting Miami just for the tourist-y portion of Ocean Drive, seeing that, and extrapolating it--though I don't see how he could have missed the sidewalks crowded with outdoor dining while seeing just the patios. My guess is he's extremely tall with a stiff neck so gets sight blindness underneath a certain height at which case he mistook the sidewalk umbrellas as throngs of very still schoolchildren surrounding him having very adult conversation.

Jetting between two places is certainly not very well-traveled at all How's your Japanese?

I do love this Miami Monty thing though. This thread is pretty much perfect.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 05-01-2015 at 08:37 AM..

Old 05-01-2015, 08:34 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's not that rare. There are at least two places with it on the small main stretch of Ocean Drive and one of them is pretty huge taking up a big corner. I can see somebody visiting Miami just for the tourist-y portion of Ocean Drive, seeing that, and extrapolating it.
I think I know what you're referring to. Around the Clevelander right?

Doesn't matter, even the entire Ocean is packed with curbside seating, that when I walk down the sidewalk I walk between tables. But Ocean is not where it begins or ends. Here is a side street perpendicular to Ocean

Quote:
Jetting between two places is certainly not very well-traveled at all How's your Japanese?
Never said I was well traveled, that was anony crying a little bit. I'm probably better traveled than 90% of people here, since my parent's are from Europe, I have property all over Europe (and by extension been to almost every country there), been to many Latin American countries, and now I'm setting a foothold into Asia

Africa, never been. But will be to Egypt this summer. If you count that as Africa, I count Kenya or South Africa as "Africa".

My Japanese is improving, just enough to get me smiles but I still pull out google translate app all the time

Old 05-01-2015, 08:45 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,592,735 times
>people bragging on the internet about all the cool stuff they do
>spend a huge chunk of time on City-Data

Yeahhhhhhhhh

Old 05-01-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
While it may not be as close to other world class cities as those in the NE Corridor, arguably few cities in this country have what SF has in its backyard. Miami/South FL has about the least variety of things to do of any major city in the country. I'd flip the question right back around and ask what is there to do around Miami besides beachy things and shopping (the latter of which is more notable in SF and beachy things can also be done around SF with Pacifica, Santa Cruz, Half Moon Bay, Stinson, Tomales Point, Carmel, Big Sur, etc)? How much time can one spend in Little Havana or air boating around the Everglades or visiting the less than mediocre museums and cultural attractions South FL has to offer in a very spread out environment with little to no public transit? That's my question.
Meh, kind of silly for you to be just as facetious on this, isn't it? Sort of just invalidates both cities (or possibly almost all cities) as having nothing to do. If you're serious, well, there's certainly a lot of nightlife here of different stripes. There's a lot of water sports you can do and snorkeling and diving here is great. Horticulture scene is great, but that's super, super niche. The scene here for interesting design is pretty great, though not so great for fine arts save for during the art fairs when people and works from out of town come in.

Old 05-01-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I think I know what you're referring to. Around the Clevelander right?

Doesn't matter, even the entire Ocean is packed with curbside seating, that when I walk down the sidewalk I walk between tables. But Ocean is not where it begins or ends. Here is a side street perpendicular to Ocean

Never said I was well traveled, that was anony crying a little bit. I'm probably better traveled than 90% of people here, since my parent's are from Europe, I have property all over Europe (and by extension been to almost every country there), been to many Latin American countries, and now I'm setting a foothold into Asia

Africa, never been. But will be to Egypt this summer. If you count that as Africa, I count Kenya or South Africa as "Africa".

My Japanese is improving, just enough to get me smiles but I still pull out google translate app all the time
Nice, very nice. It looks like my travel wang is much, much larger than yours. This pleases me.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Jobs and food, definitely SF; weather and lifestyle definitely Miami.

They're two great cities, but hard to compare, because they're just too different. Miami is filled with beautiful people, very Latin, materialistic, beach culture, hint of NY vibe, condo living. SF is filled with smart people, very granola, progressive culture, innovative, etc.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:09 AM

1,353 posts, read 1,642,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Nice, very nice. It looks like my travel wang is much, much larger than yours. This pleases me.
Feed the ego and attach yourself to it. Respectable.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:14 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,150,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonelitist View Post
Feed the ego and attach yourself to it. Respectable.
Anony, you're looking even sadder now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City