Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is "The City" to you?
San Francisco 62 27.19%
New York City 87 38.16%
Boston 7 3.07%
Chicago 30 13.16%
Los Angeles 3 1.32%
Washington DC 7 3.07%
Philadelphia 10 4.39%
San Diego 0 0%
Seattle 7 3.07%
Atlanta 15 6.58%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:41 AM

53 posts, read 168,883 times

Advertisements

Are the New York boosters serious: do people in real life really think that people from around the country, from Seattle to Miami, from San Diego to Maine, really think of New York City as the only place when it comes to the term "the city"

Really? No, I'm pretty serious about this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 12:31 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,983,459 times
William Shatner (Captain Kirk) referred to San Francisco as "The City" in the movie Star Trek IV The Voyage Home

Old 07-05-2013, 01:14 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
No? You must have been looking at the wrong thing. My link on wikipedia actually has a citation and a pretty good one at that. A NY Times article about the relocation of city hall and the concerns of the council in how citizens refer to manhattan. I just checked the page again and the link is still there...
I am still missing it, I looked under your first link and saw this

New York City
The Big Apple.[15][41]
The Capital of The World.[42]
The City[citation needed]
The City of Dreams[citation needed]
The City So Nice, They Named It Twice.[43]
The City That Never Sleeps.[44]
Empire City.[15][45]
Gotham [15][16]
Hymie Town.[46]

I didn't check the second link since it was about Cali cities.

The third link there were 51 instances of the city, all lower case not proper nouns and no links/citations

Old 07-05-2013, 01:29 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,876,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daring Kobald View Post
Are the New York boosters serious: do people in real life really think that people from around the country, from Seattle to Miami, from San Diego to Maine, really think of New York City as the only place when it comes to the term "the city"

Really? No, I'm pretty serious about this one.
Haha my buddy from the NY area told my family he wants to move "to the city" recently and they were like, "Philly?"

Old 07-05-2013, 01:37 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,209,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroit's own View Post
I should have been clearer...I didn't mean the DC area. I would just assume if you live in the DC area DC would be "the city". I'm not understanding the OP. No one refers to another city outside of the metro/state they live in as "the city". If I wanted to visit NY, I would say that. Not "I'm going to the city". People would assume I mean Detroit. Now if some small towner refers to NYC as "the city" idk
You're good, I'm having hard time figuring out the OP's logic myself...Idk, maybe OP thinks that because New York is the legendary epitome or iconic symbol of "The Big City" here in America, they must think that no matter where we all live in this country, be it down here in the DC area or all the way in the Detroit metro or the San Francisco Bay Area or the ATL...We should refer to the NYC as "The City" or "the city" because it's "fact" or some other bizarre theory...Idk whether or not if this is stealthy New York boosterism going on with some (Not all of them) of these posters but perhaps it's best for some of them to get away from their computer for a while and travel outside of the Tri-State area and go to various other metro areas across the country and see who do we really refer to as "The City"...Hell, I doubt people in the Boston area refer to New York of all places as "The City" LOL

Last edited by tcave360; 07-05-2013 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
H4evr, I don't know if this is going to fly with Ira or slo , apparently at this point in time there are 50 plus other votes that ALL seem to believe that their particular metro areas may also be referred to as the city. Complete and utter balderdash if you ask me...

Congratulations to the original poster who started this thread as they're probably out still watching fireworks while we here work on the dirty details and continue to further bicker amongst ourselves about these tough issues facing each and every great metro area in the U.S.

Happy Birthday America!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
+100 LOL No kidding And Happy Independence Day (Yeah, I know I'm late lol)

Old 07-05-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Go to LA, Houston, Chicago, Charlotte, Portland, Miami, etc. and when someone asks tell them you are from The City, they will either say, "What city?", or just look at you as if you are a moron for answering in that way. I can guarantee that unless it is one of the 40 something people on here that voted for it, they will not have any idea you mean NYC.
Exactly.

Studio applause - YouTube

Old 07-05-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Couple things.....people don't spend much time talking about NYC in D.C. I don't know who you were talking too in Bethesda, but odds are they were not from D.C. I have NEVER heard anybody refer to New York as The City period in the DMV. If you are in the DMV, people are talking about D.C. if they say The City. Infact, you would have to clarify you meant NYC if you said The City because people would assume you were talking about D.C.
+2 Thank You!!! I don't understand what is so hard to comprehend about this

Old 07-05-2013, 02:02 PM

69 posts, read 83,730 times
It appears this thread is a fail, with people either not understanding the thread, or homers perceiving it as an attack on their city, so they claim "No one in (enter homer city) ever refers to (enter outside city)".

Sometimes C-D is awesome; sometimes it's a waste of time. Back to your regularly scheduled programming in the well known city of DC DMV, which is apparently no longer where you get your license renewed...

http://dmv.dc.gov/

Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Daring Kobald View Post
How is "the city" San Francisco and not Los Angeles? Isn't Los Angeles like 5 times as large?
San Francisco was already called'The City' by people all over the west long before LA's population boom and LA becoming far larger really doesnt affect what Northern Californians call San Francisco, nor should it as these cities are far enough apart that neither overshadows the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City